The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 9, 2017, 12:05 AM   #1
GTS9

Premium Bullet Performance on "XP2" Game?

I'm considering running a 165 grain bullet (30-06) this season for everything. Something like a Partition, Accubond, or Interbond. Elk, deer, and antelope.
When I get to the antelope, do you think any of the bullets above in that setup will give me undesirable terminal performance do to being too strong? I've always used plain cup and and core bullets for antelope. Deer too, typically. I've hit some deer with bonded bullets but never with either of those two or a Partition, and it was always a big buck (not very comparable to a pronghorn); so I really don't know what to think.
Old August 9, 2017, 01:57 AM   #2
Scorch

Well, just my opinion (based on 45 years of hunting and shooting), but premium bullets really don't make that big of a difference as long as you are using a properly constructed bullet. Partitions and bonded bullets do retain more weight, and there are some really awesome high BC bullets on the market these days, but the good old CoreLokt, Fusion, Power Points and Game Shok bullets kill 'em just as dead. Now, if I was going on a high-dollar once-in-a-lifetime hunt, then sure a little more expensive bullet may be comforting to you, but most animals will never know the difference. So pick one and get to know it, and it will do just fine for you.

That said, I just got done loading up a bunch of Nosler Accubond LRs for my 7X57, but I got them on sale cheaper than the bullets I was going to get.
Old August 9, 2017, 12:37 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...as long as you are using a properly constructed bullet..." And you can hit a deer with 'em. The '06 loves 165's and they don't have to be premium bullets.
Think IMR4064 too.
Old August 9, 2017, 01:49 PM   #4
Wyosmith

Well if you want to use one gun with one ammo on all 3, I'd use exactly what you are speaking of. A 165 gr bonded bullet expands easily so it opens up on small deer and ans antelope, but won't break into pieces on elk.
The ONLY down side is cost. (which is a consideration because you can't become a good marksman without practice)
So if you buy some standard 165s for practice and then only use the bonded to make meat, you'll never be disappointed on game up to elk.
Old August 9, 2017, 04:56 PM   #5
Paul B.

Well, if your rifle likes it, try the 165 gr. Accubond. Just tried it on my last elk hunt and took a nice fat juicy cow elk at about 100 yards. She went maybe 30 feet and died. Never found the bullet but think it was still in the elk's left lung. I pushed it to about 2880 FPS using Nosler's max load for H414. I was using W760 which is just a different lot of the same powder.
I'm thinking that if I use the 30-06 again this coming December, I'll be shooting the 165 gr. Partitions if the rifle likes them.
I dunno if this would work with the Accubond but I've found the Sierra bullet closest to the Nosler Partition usually works quite well as a practice round. Ny .270 can use the same powder charge with either the 150 gr. Sierra Game King or the 150 gr. Nosler Partition. Absolutely no change in point of impact in that rifle. I'm gonna be looking into that with the 06 aand a Sierra 164 gr. Game King.
Paul B.
Old August 10, 2017, 07:47 AM   #6
Mobuck

The Partitions will work fine on your listed game.
I've had some limited experience with (257 Wby 110 grain) AccuBonds on deer and wasn't terribly satisfied. Even with 257 Wby velocities, I didn't see the expansion I was expecting especially at 300+ yards. Yes, the deer died BUT internal damage looked more like a hit from a FMJ. One medium sized buck took a high lung shot and just stood around for almost a minute before showing any indication of being hit. Had I not actually seen the blood running down his side, I'd have called it a miss and shot him again. I'm going to try some 100 grain AccuBonds in 25/06 this year to see if they might be more suitable.
Old August 11, 2017, 04:38 PM   #7
jmr40

You're over thinking this. All of those will work on all of the game listed at typical 30-06 velocities and at typical ranges. So would a typical cup and core bullet. All bullets have a minimum velocity at impact in order to expand. All of those will expand down to at least 1800 fps which will get you to 600 yards, maybe more in a 30-06.

The premiums major advantages are two fold. Standard cup and core bullets often over expand and don't penetrate well if pushed too fast, around 3000 fps at impact. Your 30-06 won't do that at the muzzle with 165's. The better BC's of the premiums mean they maintain speeds at greater distances and will impact faster and with more energy down range than standard bullets with poor BC's.

Lots of folks only think of trajectory, but high BC bullets don't show significantly better trajectory until you start shooting way past normal hunting ranges. But the increased impact speed can make a noticeable difference at much closer ranges. A 30-06 shooting a 180 gr high BC Premium bullet like the Accubond will be moving faster at 100 yards than a 300WM shooting a poor BC RN bullet. Even though the 300 starts out faster, the better aerodynamics of the 30-06 bullet only needs 100 yards to pass it in speed and energy. At only 300 yards the 30-06 would have a 300 fps advantage and 600 ft lb advantage in energy over a 300 WM shooting poor BC bullets.

Winston Churchill
Old August 15, 2017, 11:08 AM   #8
Don Fischer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Well, just my opinion (based on 45 years of hunting and shooting), but premium bullets really don't make that big of a difference as long as you are using a properly constructed bullet. Partitions and bonded bullets do retain more weight, and there are some really awesome high BC bullets on the market these days, but the good old CoreLokt, Fusion, Power Points and Game Shok bullets kill 'em just as dead. Now, if I was going on a high-dollar once-in-a-lifetime hunt, then sure a little more expensive bullet may be comforting to you, but most animals will never know the difference. So pick one and get to know it, and it will do just fine for you.

That said, I just got done loading up a bunch of Nosler Accubond LRs for my 7X57, but I got them on sale cheaper than the bullets I was going to get.
Ditto!

What is it that now make's you think you need a premium? With cup and core bullet's you can kill anything in North America by choosing the right bullet and placing it well. I do like the bonded core bullet's but don't use them. Before going any premium bullet I try a Speer Hot Core. Reason being, they are about half the price and do the job well. I shot them, Hornady SP's and Sierra bullet's into newspaper pile years ago and it was mazint, the hot core from my old 7mm mag retained 85% of it's weight at 100 yds and the core did not come loose from the jacket. The only reason I shoot mostly Hornady is that back then I got just a bit better accuracy with the Hornady.

Premium bullet's are fine if you can afford to shoot them. What ever a cup and core bullet will do when properly chosen and used, so will the premium. If you want to spend the money on premium bullet's, by all mans do it! But everything will depend on how you place your shot. One thing I've heard about monolithic bullet's is that they don't do as much internal damage as expanding bullet's. I can call that a plus. But the price is still to high for my income!
Old August 15, 2017, 11:14 AM   #9
zipspyder

If you are going to be shooting long range then Accubond's cuz boat-tail otherwise Partitions are just as good for a few hundred yards in. The 165 gr is just about a perfect all around weight so good choice.
Old August 15, 2017, 02:34 PM   #10
AllenJ

I got to go on a combo hunt many years ago also for elk, deer and antelope and I too was using my 30-06 but I went with a cup and core 180 grain bullet. I got all three animals but not without an issue, the first bullet that I shot the antelope with was bad, it entered the shoulder and struck bone, turned 90 degrees and exited the bottom of the same shoulder. I ended up getting that antelope after a little tracking so it turned out ok but that was the reason I started shooting premium bullets. In the years since then I've seen 2 different brand "premium" bullets fail to work as advertised including one last year. Both animals were taken but it made think that it does not matter how much you pay for a bullet, if it is bad or the conditions not within its specs, bullet failure is a risk.