The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 23, 2017, 03:53 PM   #1
45Gunner

Fat with Ammo

Over the years I have been buying ammo by the 1000 round case whenever I found a smoking hot deal. About 5 years ago I moved and I put my ammo in a buddies house during the move and then took it back when we settled into the new house.

The new house was a considerable downsize since we became empty nesters and the grandkids were getting older which equated to less visits. I took my ammo and had it distributed in three rooms of the new house. Today, being an overcast and rainy Sunday, I decided I had had enough of my wife "reminding" me that I needed to organize my ammo supply, which I thought was plenty organized as I knew where everything was.

A few weeks ago, we organized part of the garage so I had a couple of leftover empty plastic storage bins which were perfect for storing my ammo. I removed all the boxed ammo from their shipping boxes and sorted and stacked ammo by caliber and now have all my "range ammo" in one place. One room is now completely free of ammo and the "home and personal defense ammo" has been reorganized. All the empty magazines are no longer empty and this coming week I am going with buddies to shoot our AR's so those magazines are now all loaded and ready to go with spare ammo in the ammo cans.

Two weeks ago I had my portable generator and gas powered pressure washer serviced and tuned. I think I may be in a downward spiral here or maybe I am just tired of the wife's "reminders". Next weekend I will most likely tackle my office files as they are overstuffed and have tons of useless paperwork occupying space.

What's happening to me?
NRA Life Member
Old July 23, 2017, 04:43 PM   #2
RickB

Pressure wash your ammo, if you're feeling especially neat and tidy.
Old July 23, 2017, 04:45 PM   #3
jpx2rk

Shoot more often, then take up reloading if you don't already. LOL
Old July 23, 2017, 10:35 PM   #4
rickyrick

I've got ammo stored in parts of three rooms and have no idea how much. I don't think it's much, but I originally filled a stackon 10 gun cabinet with nothing but ammunition. It's grew some from there, but I've slowed down purchases just a small amount.
Old July 24, 2017, 09:07 PM   #5
kenny53

I have almost all the ammo in one place down in the basement. My darling bride rarely sees it. So I am good on that front. Buying ammo now is done now to replace what I have shot. I have no intention to power wash any of my ammo.
Old July 25, 2017, 09:22 AM   #6
the possum

Sounds like ya just got into a "spring cleaning" kick. I do the same every so often, and spend a week pitching junk and reorganizing. I recently did so in my house, but now the garage is overflowing.

A couple years ago when things were unsettled politically, I reorganized my ammo and took inventory. Actually wrote it all down, and entered it on a spreadsheet so I could get a feel for what was lacking. I discovered I had more than enough in some calibers and was very short on others, so now I knew what to fix.
Old July 25, 2017, 09:54 AM   #7
g.willikers

Quote:
Shoot more often, then take up reloading if you don't already.
As you've discovered, if you have to ever abandon your present location, (hurricane, tornado, flood, fire, 'etc), more than likely all of your ammo will have to be left behind.
I only keep enough factory ammo on hand to make up for being too lazy to reload.
Otherwise, I only keep enough components around to keep shooting as often as desired.
If it makes sense to stock pile anything it would be food, more than ammo.
Old July 25, 2017, 01:50 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

"...What's happening to me?..." Geezerhood combined with having a wife. When you start thinking you need to clean or tidy, lie down until the thought goes away. snicker.
Old July 25, 2017, 03:14 PM   #9
SocialAnarchist

Quote:
g.willikers

As you've discovered, if you have to ever abandon your present location, (hurricane, tornado, flood, fire, 'etc), more than likely all of your ammo will have to be left behind.
I only keep enough factory ammo on hand to make up for being too lazy to reload.
Otherwise, I only keep enough components around to keep shooting as often as desired.
If it makes sense to stock pile anything it would be food, more than ammo.
If you are stockpiling food as a prepper you better have an adequate means of protecting it, including plenty of ammo. The truth is if you have to abandon your ammo you are more than likely abandoning your food and everything else too.
Old July 25, 2017, 03:18 PM   #10
zipspyder

@SocialAnarchist

Then you better have a backup plan and a big survival backpack ready because chances are you won't be in your little armory forever unless you are rich and you've built yourself a survival bunker. Bottom line is you need food and water to live, a mountain of ammo not so much.
Old July 25, 2017, 04:32 PM   #11
Evan Thomas

No more SHTF comments, please, or this one is done.
Old July 25, 2017, 05:13 PM   #12
spacemanspiff

rickyrick, you say you filled a Stackon cabinet with ammo? I've been contemplating just such an option. Since almost all of my ammo is in cans, I've wondered just how many cans i could fit into the 10 gun cabinet. How do you have yours set up?
Old July 25, 2017, 05:21 PM   #13
ammo.crafter

2 much?

I just made room in my shed for your ammo; bring it over.
Old July 25, 2017, 07:53 PM   #14
FITASC

You live in retirement Florida, that's what's happening!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old July 26, 2017, 01:19 PM   #15
stephen426

I've got a decent of stockpile of ammo as well, manly in 9mm and .45 acp. I have a few thousand in .40 S&W, but I haven't been shooting it much. I'm just a sucker for a good deal. i need to unsubscribe to all of these sites that keep sending me deals!!!
Old July 26, 2017, 02:47 PM   #16
Dufus

Never had a problem with ammo piles since I started loading a long time ago.

The last factory rounds I bought was back in 1976. It was by then that I had enough empty brass to load 500 or so 44 Mags for hunting, targeting, and general fartin' around.

Handloading will knock the piles down because you don't have to stock piles ammo, just load it when you need it. Just yesterday, I loaded up a couple of hundred 9mm for ranging this coming weekend.
Old July 26, 2017, 04:20 PM   #17
JoeSixpack

How about a ammo shed in the back yard?

Put them in ammo cans to help combat moisture.

I knew a guy on a different board had a concrete poured "bunker" type structure in his back yard mostly under ground.. I guess you'd call it a ammo cellar or something..

Had over 80k just in 9mm alone.

Would get it out of the house at any rate.
Old July 27, 2017, 12:50 PM   #18
ShootistPRS

Joe,
Your friends concrete ammo bunker is called a magazine unless it is not built to released built up gases vertically in the case of fire and/or explosion. If it does not have a pressure release construction then it could be called a bomb.
Old July 27, 2017, 01:20 PM   #19
Kvon2

Quote:
decided I had had enough of my wife "reminding"
Man can I relate to this
Old July 27, 2017, 10:00 PM   #20
berettaprofessor

I have an Iphone app that reads bar codes and allows me to keep track of where it's stored and what ammo I have. Takes time to set up, but now pretty automatic; open a box, scan it and remove from inventory list. Buy a box, scan and add. I don't keep track of open boxes, though
Old July 28, 2017, 10:01 PM   #21
Prof Young

A little here a little there . . .

I built a lockable cabinet in my reloading room. Easily holds thousands of rounds and doesn't take up all that much room.

I find that when I can by 22LR for less than ten cents a shot I tend to grab a brick or a couple hundred. Don't wanna be short on those again.

My 44mag, 45 acp, 38spl/357, 9mm, 380 and 223 I reload myself and rarely buy off the shelf.

I don't reload for the scatter gun so those are all off the shelf too.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 30, 2017, 02:51 PM   #22
Rob228

I've done a few cross country moves with close to a thousand pounds of ammunition in my truck. Headed to Japan for three years, dropping a pile of guns and ammo off with my father next week.
Old July 30, 2017, 05:57 PM   #23
gwpercle

Too much free time...you getting bored and inventing "busywork" !
Old August 19, 2017, 06:47 AM   #24
Jeffm004

When a man says he'll do it, he'll do it. Being reminded every six months is just really annoying.
Old August 20, 2017, 07:18 AM   #25
Husqvarna

my ammo (and all shooting/hunting stuff) is the thing I am most neat with

kinda so that the better half doesn't know how much I have :P

but than on the other hand I haven't got a clue about how much her equestrian stuff costs

a terrorbalance you might say