The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 2, 2017, 07:30 PM   #51
UncleEd

OP,

For crying out loud, buy what you want.

Seems like you want a .40.

Scratch that itch.
Old July 31, 2017, 05:34 PM   #52
dontcatchmany

I keep scratching itches.

I like the 40.

I like the 357Sig

I like 9mm

Of course there are a couple of others I like also....45 acp, 357 mag/38 spcl.

I have 4 40s. Three of them (FNX 40, FNS 40 and G27) have 357 Sig barrels to be swapped in / out.

My 4th 40 is a Shield (about a week old) and I have a 9mm barrel with mag being delivered in the next couple of days. May even order a 357 sig barrel.

I might even get a Shield 45.......the "need" is there....to go along wth my other 45s

My biggest problem is that I sometimes can not make up my mind which caliber where....trucks, cars, bedside, office, sheds, etc.

I will find out about the 9mm Shield barrel, but all of the other guns so far shoot exceptionally well in 40 and 357 Sig....was even thinking of getting that 357 Sig barrel for the Shield 40.

I am crazy, especially since I built a small shooting range in my back yard. Going to go broke on ammo now.

I also have a Sig P938 9mm and it was my daily carry and "loved" until I started having problems with the safety going from fire to safe and the magazines popping out .....this after approx. 2000 rounds of shooting exceptionally well....do not trust it now and will send it to Sig. I doubt it will ever be trusted for a carry again.

If I had to carry just one caliber, it would be the 40 most likely.
Old July 31, 2017, 09:06 PM   #53
disseminator

Quote:
I am crazy, especially since I built a small shooting range in my back yard. Going to go broke on ammo now.
Time to start re-loading.

Old August 1, 2017, 01:46 PM   #54
Ibmikey

Tailgator: Oops! Mikey
Old August 1, 2017, 10:10 PM   #55
Cosmodragoon

It sounds like the OP really wants .357 Sig. It's basically a 9mm projectile in a necked down .40 S&W case. It combines the power of the latter with the sectional density of the former. You can probably find a conversion barrel for that Glock 23.

Quote:
Then I found the Beretta PX4 Storm. Somehow Beretta tamed the .40 in this platform, and it carried just as many rounds as most of the 9mm guns available at the time. Now I could shoot the more powerful .40 S&W just as quickly and accurately as I could any 9mm pistol.
The .40 S&W is unpleasant to shoot in some firearms. The PX4 isn't one of them. It's a great and sadly overlooked firearm. Too bad nobody makes a .357 Sig barrel for it.
Old August 3, 2017, 06:45 PM   #56
dontcatchmany

disseminator wrote:
Quote:

Time to start re-loading.

End Quote:

disseminator, I looked into it reloading several years ago and I might have saved enough money to go fishing more often, but the extra hobby/time of reloading would not leave me time to go fishing......I will buy the ammo......got to be good friends with the UPS driver. I also came to the conclusion that reloading for me would just be another hobby!

Did I say how much I enjoy fishing?....
Old August 3, 2017, 07:14 PM   #57
Rangerrich99

This guy just says it a lot better than I can:

https://youtu.be/LTTDgZZZFa0

Bottom line, IF you can shoot a .40 S&W handgun nearly as accurately and quickly as you can a 9mm, then then .40 will offer better performance. If you can't, then just use a 9mm pistol.
Old August 3, 2017, 07:20 PM   #58
disseminator

Quote:
disseminator, I looked into it reloading several years ago and I might have saved enough money to go fishing more often, but the extra hobby/time of reloading would not leave me time to go fishing......I will buy the ammo......got to be good friends with the UPS driver. I also came to the conclusion that reloading for me would just be another hobby!

Did I say how much I enjoy fishing?....
I'm not sure a person can have too many hobbies. I also love fishing. Reloading isn't for everyone, but it is a fun and informative activity that will provide you with much enjoyment when your not fishing.