The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 1, 2017, 11:17 PM   #1
BigJimP

Wilson's 1911 sight options

Any experience or input on Wilson's fixed rear sight " battle sight"....or opinions on " U " notch or their "square"notch options ?

How about the front "fibre optic" green or red in either the low - no snag- profile ( .16" or .17" height seem to be most popular...or the competition style ?.....

I know I want green fibre optic over red....much easier for me to see with my old eyes. They will go on my primary gun ( 5" Wilson 1911 in 9mm )...my primary carry and range "casual"
competition gun.

Night sights on it are dead...so its time for an upgrade and I'm sending it back to factory for service this week.

I would appreciate your experience and input....thanks.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:39 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I can't tell you what to get, but my most frequently shot pistols have a square notch rear in a black leaf and a fibre optic front. I have some red and some green, but my replacement material is all green.

The U notch seems to be tackytickle these days, likely because the kewloperators are treating fibre optic or luminous front sights like beads, heck, they are buying real beads, and shooting with the pre 1909 sight picture.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:47 PM   #3
TunnelRat

I've tried a U notch with Trijicon HDs and some FN products. Even shooting front sight focus with just a fiber optic, the square notch works better for me. I also prefer green as it works better for my eyes (mild color blindness to red). This is all base off of Dawson Precision sights so how it translates to Wilson's options I'm not sure exactly, but should be similar.
Maintain situational awareness
Old May 2, 2017, 10:56 AM   #4
JDBerg

Wilson Combat's domed gold bead FS and rear battlesight is "IMHO" an ideal setup for my own middle-aged eyesight!
Old May 2, 2017, 11:42 AM   #5
BigJimP

why do you like the gold bead over the fibre optic JD ?
Old May 2, 2017, 11:50 AM   #6
BarryLee

I have the Battle Site with the U-Notch and Green Fiber-Optic on my Wilson 1911 and can confidently say it is the most accurate gun I have ever owned. Now, I suspect there are other "parts & pieces" of the gun that contribute to that beyond just the sites, but either way I have been very pleased with the setup.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 2, 2017, 12:38 PM   #7
RickB

Putting a square front in a u-shaped notch doesn't make much sense, to me.
I want to see those light bars, all the way to the bottom of the notch.
Old May 4, 2017, 09:09 AM   #8
BigJimP

I talked to Wilson Combat rep this morning ( great customer service by the way !! )....and I elected to go with square notch battle sight and green fibre optic in front - to replace the original 2006 night sights that no longer illuminate.

Thanks for your input.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:32 AM   #9
TunnelRat

Nice! Enjoy and post pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 12, 2017, 11:32 PM   #10
BigJimP

My Protector was returned in a total of 9 calendar days - and that includes 3 days in transit ( overnite there / 2 day air back to me)....shipped Tue one week ---back on following Wed.

Thumb safety was replaced with the new bullet proof style. Because the wear pattern on frame was different for old safety on weak side ( old safety had an ear that comes down below grip into a notch in grip ) and the slight wear on frame from 11 yrs and 180,000 rds was visible - Wilson insisted on refinishing entire gun to original spec ( all stainless, with polished flats and bead blasted rounded areas ). New style ambi safety is supported by a pin that fits into safety....

Original night sights were no longer illuminating...so I asked for rear square notch battle sight and front green fibre optic...

Everything was done under warranty ...no cost to me, not even shipping !

Everything was done very, very well...finish looks like a new gun ...they even cleaned up the inside of the speed chute mag well ( had a lot of handling marks from countless speed reloads weekly in my training and "buddy" matches...over 11 years ) and a few light handling marks - scratches on slide....all removed !

All I can say to Wilson's people ...is its great service / and it's my pleasure to own a couple of their guns ( besides this Protector in 9mm, I have a CQB in .45acp) --- I am a very satisfied owner - both guns have performed very well....and I appreciate their dedication to their products and how they stand behind them --- while I did not expect them to refinish my gun, I do appreciate it / even if they had asked for a partial charge for part of the refinish, I would have been happy to pay for it....

I will continue to be a loyal Wilson customer ...( i have had other nice 1911's ...from Ed Brown, Les Baer and Kimber...) but if I want another 1911, it will be a Wilson ....and I recommend any of you considering a 1911 - give Wilson a serious look !
Old May 13, 2017, 09:27 AM   #11
TunnelRat

Good on Wilson. Their products come at a premium but it sounds like you got premium service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk