The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old April 6, 2017, 03:53 PM   #26
spacemanspiff

I'm not fully informed on all hunting regulations, so I could be wrong on this, but if you choose to hunt with a semi-auto rifle, isnt there magazine restrictions?

None exist if its for bear DEFENSE, but I have always been under the impression that its 5 rds in a hunting rifle. I could be wrong. I'm one of those Alaska residents that rarely leaves the big city. Did one moose hunt (unsuccessful) probably 12 years back. Always talk about it, and I even bought a rifle I could hunt with (Pre64 Win in 30'06) but I still havent put glass on it yet.

As for your choice of weapon, i assume you are going to have a 3-9 or maybe 4-?x optic for the caribou. How well are you thinking you will be able to shoulder and find that bear in the crosshairs in close distance? Say, out to 100 yards? In the brush, where there is low chance of finding yourself on a flat area with no obstructions?

Finally, you said your boss drew the caribou and bear tags, you will want to research Alaskas Dept of Fish & Wildlife website to find the exact applicable laws, dont just rely upon your boss, especially if one or both of you are non-residents.

edited to add - discovered there are NO mag restrictions. But now I know, and knowing is half the battle! Great now I want to watch old GIJoe cartoons.

Last edited by spacemanspiff; April 6, 2017 at 04:25 PM.
Old April 6, 2017, 07:36 PM   #27
Blindstitch

Well now you know that most places don't have magazine restrictions. I contacted the Wisconsin DNR about it for a friend last year and they said I could have a 100 round magazine and it would be perfectly fine as long as the gun wasn't full auto.

But it is always wise to see if gun type, cartridge, ... are legal where you're going.
Old April 7, 2017, 05:45 AM   #28
Picher

If you choose to use the .308 Semi-Auto, be sure to fire several to be sure any round-nosed cartridges or relatively long rounds will feed reliably from the magazine.

If it's cold and wet, I'd rather have a bolt-action than a semi-auto.
Old April 8, 2017, 08:24 AM   #29
stevelyn

Quote:
I'm not fully informed on all hunting regulations, so I could be wrong on this, but if you choose to hunt with a semi-auto rifle, isnt there magazine restrictions?

There are no mag restrictions in AK.........actually there are few restrictions of any kind. Nearly every boat or sno-go in the Yukon-Koyukuk has an AR or Mini-14 with 30-40 round mag stuffed in it.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old April 8, 2017, 09:18 AM   #30
jolly1

Hi, I wasnt on this forum quite a while.

I wouldnt use 308 on the bear in walk and stalk, or accidental meeting & selfdefence scenario, and given the circumstances I would opt at least for any other option, like renting a more appropriate rifle, or buying such rifle.

But to keep in line with thread, I would suggest:
Hornady superperfomance ammunition which can squeeze out additional 100 to 200 ft/sec, as per manufacturer claims. In some elaborations it is more powerful then average 30-06.

The bullet to be used, as hard as possible, for controlled expansion and maximum penetration, such as:
interbond
or GMX

Keep in mind that charging bear is full of adrenaline, and even good hit in vital organs will probably not stop him. Hitting cns should stop him in his tracks, only.

It is different if using same caliber for aimed shot, from a stand for example and effectiveness of same caliber in different situation is completely different.

However, using a rifle in 308 on a bear, is also a better option then using a handgun...

Good luck!
Old April 8, 2017, 05:27 PM   #31
ShootistPRS

For defensive use against large, dangerous, game the key is penetration. Heavy, non-expanding, bullets with a large flat point are almost always better than "hunting" bullets.

If you can use your rifle by all means use it. If you can't then a pistol shot into the neck is as good as it gets. If all you have is a knife then use it. This is defense - a surprise attack and you use what you have to preserve your life. Big bears have been killed with everything from a 22 rim fire to large bore rifles in defensive encounters. More often than not the only weapon available was a handgun in 44, 357, 40, or 9mm. In most cases the shot that stopped the attack was a shot into the neck while the bear was in contact.

You do what you can to not surprise a big bear and stay out of their way, but when it comes down to you and the animal use whatever you have to come out on top.
Old April 9, 2017, 12:31 PM   #32
jackmoser65

A good controlled expansion 180 to 200 grain bullet is what I'd want. Although I must say that an AR10 is a terrible choice for a hunting rifle.

Those saying that a brain shot is impossible are obviously not aware that hunters have been stopping charging African beasts with brain shots for 150 years.

Quote:
For defensive use against large, dangerous, game the key is penetration. Heavy, non-expanding, bullets with a large flat point are almost always better than "hunting" bullets.
That only works if it's a big bore. A 308 bullet needs to expand to work.
Old April 12, 2017, 06:46 AM   #33
robertjunior

Best Shotgun Choke Tubes

Hi! you are in Alaska, wow it is very beautiful state of USA. I wish, I come here one day. Dot 308 is best for bear defense, because it is semi automated gun with high killing power. For high gun velocity, you can use Carlsons choke tube in front of this gun. Mostly hunters agree that a lightweight rifle is best for serious bear hunting.
Old April 13, 2017, 10:53 AM   #34
Ricklin

????

Do you recommend internal or external thread choke tubes on a .308 RIFLE?
Old April 13, 2017, 02:02 PM   #35
GeauxTide

Quote:
Hi! you are in Alaska, wow it is very beautiful state of USA. I wish, I come here one day. Dot 308 is best for bear defense, because it is semi automated gun with high killing power. For high gun velocity, you can use Carlsons choke tube in front of this gun. Mostly hunters agree that a lightweight rifle is best for serious bear hunting.
Shut the front door.
Old July 2, 2017, 11:06 PM   #36
GianWetter

I haven't shot it but I'd love to hear an opinion on the Browning BXC 308 round for this purpose or something similar if anyone has tried it. At least on paper it seems good for the role, 168 gr at 2820 with a brass controlled expansion tip.
Closed Thread