The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 8, 2001, 05:09 PM   #1
M1 grand man

Help!

I need a question answered for a rifle cartridge is it ok to have powder past the shoulder and in to the neck. I looked in my book and deed not see if that is ok or not so if some one could answer this i would appreciate it thinks
Old September 8, 2001, 06:49 PM   #2
Archie

It's okay, if....

the amount of powder is within the guidelines.

It gets more complicated.

Usually you want to just fill up the interior of the case. This gives a "100%" loading density and is considered ideal by at least one school of bench rest shooters.
Compressed loads are not dangerous in themselves. Some of the large volume cases require compressed loads of very slow powders to get the maximum velocity with heavy weight bullets. However, for gas operated guns, usually a faster powder is required, in order to get the pressure in the proper range at the gas port.
Military brass is usually thicker, therefore the inner case volume is less. What is a safe but maximum load in a commercial case could be a one or two grain overload in a military case.
Then, if you "vibrate" a case, you can often get the powder to "settle" in the case, and will all shift down into the body of the case. Using a long drop tube from the measure will accomplish the same thing. So your charge may not actually stay in the neck.

In your case, is the amount of powder that fills up part of the case from a loading manual? If so, check and see what sort of case was used in developing the information. Try charging all the cases and gently "jiggling" the loading block. See if the powder settles down into the case.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old September 8, 2001, 08:25 PM   #3
Powderman

Also, what kind of gun are you using these loads in? Bolt action? OK, but check and recheck your loading manuals. Remember to reduce your load by 5-10% every time something is changed.

Gas gun, such as the Garand? Be careful! You should use powders with a moderate burning rate for your 30-06 loads. Good powders that come to mind are BL(C)-2, IMR 4895 and Varget. IMR 3031 is probably the fastest that you should use in the M1 Garand, and then with mid weight bullets, from 147 grain to 168 grain. Faster or slower powders will cause such nasty things as bent op rods, barrel erosion, and receiver cracking, possibly bolt lug shearing, too. All bad juju. Check the Speer manuals--I like them because they list loads that are safe in gas-operated match rifles. Also, if you are shooting the Garand, order the booklet, "The M1 Garand" from the NRA. Costs 3-5 bucks, and has a list of loads for the Garand. Good Luck!!