The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 29, 2012, 12:48 PM   #1
willmc33

My brand new P.O.S! S&W SD40VE Range Report

I purchased a N.I.B Smith & Wesson SD40VE yesterday at a price that I thought was excellent. I already had the initial impression that the QC was off on these because the first example I handled had heavy tool marks between the slide serration and sharp metal burrs on the serration themselves. They went in the back and got me another and everything looked good. I took it to the range this morning and it was hands down the worst range trip I have ever had. I took 100 rounds of 180 grain Federal Champion FMJ and 100 rounds of 165 grain Winchester White Box FMJ.

Out of 200 rounds with both magazines I had 103!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! failures to feed. I had 103 failures to feed out of 200 rounds. The trigger did smooth out and was long but fairly light. It was fairly accurate. Recoil when I actually got it chambered to fire was not to bad for such a light gun. Sights were good. However this was the WORST pistol I have ever purchased. I am not saying they are all like this but an example that bad making it into a store SCREAMS lousy quality control. If it was 1 magazine then I just got a bad mag but it was with both, it was with 2 different brands of ammunition and it was with 2 seperate bullet weights.

I called the store I purchased it at to see if they would handle sending it back to Smith & Wesson for me and they told me to come in. When I got there they checked to make sure everything was in the box and refunded my money in full. I wish I knew how to post a vid on here. I showed it to the LGS and the guy said " DAMN now that is rediculous". If somebody knows how I can post a video from my phone then please by all means tell me. This was surprising for multiple reasons to me. Biggest being that I am a die hard Smith & Wesson fan. Out of all my handguns only 4 are not Smith & Wessons. Second being it was a new gun and not some used and abused piece. Third the fact that it was supposed to be better then a Sigma and say what you will about Sigma's but I have never had one fail at all let alone do that. My advise is stay away from them. You might get a good one and you might not. I sure as hell didnt
Old June 29, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Olympus

Sorry to hear about your experience. That's definitely a stand-up thing by your LGS to give you a full refund. At least you didn't get stuck with a lemon.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
willmc33

Oh I know.If anybody is in my area the best shop here is Holleys Pawn and Gun. They stand behind anything they sell.
Old June 29, 2012, 04:20 PM   #4
cocojo

Wow I can't believe you had such problems. My SD is a 9mm and it is 100% on the money and reliable. I wish I could say that for my Glock 23 in 40. I firmly believe that the 9mm round is much more reliable and makes a better functioning handgun in that caliber over the 40. My Glock 19 is a reliable gun but my 40 caliber guns give me a trouble. I have to say honestly I love my sd in 9mm. One bad report, I am really stunned because my gun is that good.
Old June 29, 2012, 04:47 PM   #5
mumbo719

That has got to be the worst range report I ever read.

Glad the LGS took care of you, there is a lot to be said about doing business with a local guy/girl.

Last edited by mumbo719; June 29, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:03 PM   #6
tahunua001

I have yet to have that happen to me. I've been fairly lucky with my firearms purchases(minus a wasr I got screwed on) but I've never grabbed one that made me take it straight back to the store. I am glad the LGS refunded you in full. at least they value your business enough to go out of their way to make it right. sounds like a great place. that is interesting though, my brother had problems with a sigma but he's the only person I know with truly negative things to say about SW and he's that way with anything that doesn't have XDM on the slide so I've yet to formulate an opinion of them. generally speaking though the SD()VE line is pretty well respected which makes the huge QC issues yo have witnessed seem kindof odd. maybe it's SWs way of making an excuse to shut down the old models and just concentrate on M&Ps henceforth.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:04 PM   #7
gun nut

I'm sorry to hear you had so much trouble with it. Glad the gun shop took care of it. They aren't all that way though, I bought mine used and it hasn't missed a beat.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:10 PM   #8
9mm

Yes, S&W makes lemons sometimes.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Hawken1911

Out of curiosity, did you field strip, clean and lube the gun before you took it to the range ?
Old June 29, 2012, 06:37 PM   #10
willmc33

Roger that. I stripped it. Cleaned with Hoppes 9 and lubricated with Rem Oil.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:37 PM   #11
Sparks1957

I was wondering the same thing. A lot of the problems I've seen folks have with new guns is due to lack of a proper clean and lube before taking them out to the range.

Ok, then. That answered my question. Sorry you got a dud, but glad your LGS will make it right.
Old June 29, 2012, 06:50 PM   #12
blchandl2

Sorry to hear about your experience. My experience with my SW9VE was much the same.
Old July 2, 2012, 12:15 PM   #13
N.H. Yankee

I bought a M&P 9mm a few month's after they came out and it wouldn't extract empty shell casings. I couldn't get 3 shots in a row and seldom 2. The chamber and bore looked like someone took a rat tail file to ream them. I have bought a couple S&W SD's in the past and had great luck with those. I wonder where QC is? My M&P went back twice before it was shootable.
Old July 2, 2012, 07:46 PM   #14
Oysterboy

As with any new guns just off the press they're gonna have teething pains. The Sigmas' been around for years and I bought my 9mm in Feb. Glad to say it's 100% after 900 rounds.

In a way you're a beta tester so you get another one or get a refund.
Old July 2, 2012, 07:57 PM   #15
jmr40

I had a '98 model Sigma in .40 that just stopped firing. The striker was not resetting. Sent it back to S&W twice and asked for a new gun the 3rd time. This was about the time they were transitioning from the original Sigma, to a newer, improved version. I demanded the newer version. When they sent me the new gun it was the old version. I needed a 4th trip to UPS for a return. After 5 months and 4 trips to the factory I still had not successfully fired a full box of ammo.

When the new gun came in my LGS allowed me the full purchase price I'd paid 5 months earlier for the new gun which I traded for a Glock.

I understand the newer versions are much better now.
Old July 2, 2012, 08:08 PM   #16
James K
Member In Memoriam

I bought one of the first .40 Sigmas to come out. I never liked the trigger pull and never was able to shoot well with it, though it shot OK when bench rested. But it is very reliable and has digested everything I have put through it.

I am glad the shop did right by you; let's hope they send the gun back to S&W so the factory can see that there is a problem. (After all, if the factory doesn't get the lemons back, they think everything is OK when it isn't.)

Jim
Old July 3, 2012, 07:13 AM   #17
Te Anau

Crazy!
I believe the SW9/40VE guns are just about perfect.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:41 AM   #18
Oysterboy

The new SDs were supposed to be better, now I don't know. They were an improved (VE) models based on the SD and the Sigma.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:16 PM   #19
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
was wondering the same thing. A lot of the problems I've seen folks have with new guns is due to lack of a proper clean and lube before taking them out to the range.
So your saying you seen people had problems, than clean and lubed it, and the prolbem were gone? Do you work at a gun store, or gun range?
Old July 5, 2012, 10:04 AM   #20
SpookBoy

So im just slightly confused here, was this a sw40ve or the sd40? With everyone throwing around model designations as if it were alphabet soup, i got lost in the process.

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old July 5, 2012, 11:22 AM   #21
willmc33

It was the new SD40VE
Old July 8, 2012, 03:23 AM   #22
Redhawk5.5+P+

Defending the Co. not that gun. One gun

I'm not going to defend them, but to shame, as you like the company, that doesn't do them any favor's.

One complaint makes more of an impact than twelve praises.

First, as far as I know they shoot one (not 2-3-4-5) test shot, and send a shell in an envelope with the gun. Time is money and that is a cheap (low priced) gun. It's not like they are going to massage every gun and charge $100 more. Cheap gun for cheap/poor costumer's. S&W is a name, and I will defend it, I to had issue's, but I didn't come online and rip them one! I could live with, or without them, but I choose to live with my friend S&W, and not come on line and bash S&W.

Second, it had an obvious flaw, but you still continued to waste ammo. Wish full thinking. So you had an emossional rampage just to hit it home to a double negitive. And this is a company you own most of your guns. ohhh, the shame!

Third, I considered the SD9, but (no pun to S&W), I have many other choice's beside S&W (Glock's, HK's, Ruger's, and any other reputable gun companies).

I'm still considering the SD9, but....other options are on my long term list. I need a replacement for my SW9VE, which I sold to my bro after 3000+ with one jam, a Corbon, and one missfire, it was the ammo.

I can't recommend the SD9, but I'm sure it would serve most people well that's looking for a good affordable gun. Hey, it's S&W, they back up they're product, and they probably destroyed a good gun that just needed a few tweek's.

If you got this far, are you going to buy another new S&W?
Old July 8, 2012, 03:58 AM   #23
willmc33

I am not sure if I will or not. I am a firm beleiver in there 3rd gens, revolvers, and my Shield 9mm that has been flawless. I didnt have an emotional rampage I posted about a terrible experience I had with a new pistol. I shot what I had with me. Thats why I went to the range. I dont think a gun needing tweeks should leave the factory if it needs tweeks. Not from a company such as Smith & Wesson. I have never had a problem with my other Smiths or Glocks or Sigs. I wouldnt have expected that performance from a Jennings. I have had Sigmas that were dead on reliable. The gun was terrible and I dont see a problem with posting the experience I had with a pistol that is supposed to be better then what it is replacing. If you had the same problem but kept it to yourself ok. It doesnt seem as such since you just shared it. I posted because I dont share your view. Will I buy another Smith & Wesson? Most likely. Will I buy another SD? Hell no.
Old July 8, 2012, 05:26 AM   #24
excelerater

so what your saying is you dont like your new S&W ?
Old July 8, 2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
I am not sure if I will or not. I am a firm beleiver in there 3rd gens, revolvers, and my Shield 9mm that has been flawless. I didnt have an emotional rampage I posted about a terrible experience I had with a new pistol. I shot what I had with me. Thats why I went to the range. I dont think a gun needing tweeks should leave the factory if it needs tweeks. Not from a company such as Smith & Wesson. I have never had a problem with my other Smiths or Glocks or Sigs. I wouldnt have expected that performance from a Jennings. I have had Sigmas that were dead on reliable. The gun was terrible and I dont see a problem with posting the experience I had with a pistol that is supposed to be better then what it is replacing. If you had the same problem but kept it to yourself ok. It doesnt seem as such since you just shared it. I posted because I dont share your view. Will I buy another Smith & Wesson? Most likely. Will I buy another SD? Hell no.
Fair enough, thank you for your response with great respect.

I have a (one of a few) Performance Center gun that started pitting. The guy on the phone wouldn't want to hear no more, he said shipping label was in the mail over night, 4 weeks, new looking gun. M627 V-comp.

I know S&W has gone trough other ownerships, but the new owner's, to me, seem to care to make a good gun.

BTW, how's the Shield 9mm working out? I'm still looking for a poly for carry besides my 638 J-frame.
Closed Thread