The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 10, 2009, 11:44 PM   #1
shadow83

Pyrodex RS & .45 Colt

I searched and read till my eyes were spinning in opposite directions. Maybe too many search terms.

I want to load my .45 Colt with Pyrodex RS and 255 Gr cast lead bullets. I have loaded standard Geox BP before and just filled the brass to about 1/8" from the top and capped the bullet so I never measured grains in volume. I got the load info from a BP shooter at the range.

I now want to use Pyrodex RS but am reading that it is more powerful than BP and the loads are in grain by volume. Trouble is that I only have scales and the volume measurers I have are the Lee powder cups in CCs. The slider chart for the Lee cup set lists Pyrodex RS but I am not sure if the cup size equals volume or weight in grains.

I realize that this may sound like a stupid question but I am getting nervous since I can not find any conversions with grians in volume, only mass. Can anyone please help me understand how to measure grains in volume instead of mass? Or do I just load as I did with BP?

Also the filler I use when loading smokeless are from Wally's Wads, they are vegetable fiber disks. Would that be OK if I do need filler witht the Pyrodex? I have read that polyester should be used.

Thanks in advance.
Old June 11, 2009, 02:57 AM   #2
Hawg

I've heard that Pyro is stronger than bp but I think it's the other way around but it's been a long time since I had access to real bp. Just load the cases like you have been and you'll be ok. That's the way I load my 44-40's with Pyro. Pyro is much lighter than real bp so any measuring you do must be by volume.
Old June 11, 2009, 08:56 AM   #3
mykeal

First, relax. You cannot overload a modern replica bp percussion steel frame revolver. It will be safe to shoot no matter what load you put in it, as long as it's not smokeless powder.

Pyrodex and real black powder are equivalent when measured by volume. Pyrodex is, however, less dense than real black powder, so when measured by weight it should be reduced by about 10 to 15%. If you use the same weight it will still be safe to shoot, but your results in terms of accuracy may be affected slightly.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:06 AM   #4
zxcvbob

Your volume measure is "filled the brass to about 1/8" from the top and capped the bullet" Do the same thing with the Pyrodex and you'll have an equivalent load (regardless of how much it weighs)
Old June 11, 2009, 02:57 PM   #5
arcticap

Here's some useful conversion reference charts:

http://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet.htm
Old June 11, 2009, 03:30 PM   #6
long rider

I have loaded 45 with pyo and bp,
30 grns of pyo and 30 grns of bp there is a BIG difernce
30 grns of pyrodex packs one hell of recoil, as a matter off
fact i still got a bunch of rounds left, and now i shoot them
in my saa 45 it much much stronger than my 58 conversion
not that it will tear it up, but it does rattel the gun, but 30
grns of bp is just nice for a black powder conversion,
start low then work up to a comfert load, make sure you
have NO air space.
Old June 11, 2009, 06:38 PM   #7
shadow83

Thanks everyone!

What I read pretty much said the same thing, but I wanted to hear from users as well.

After I posted this I saw the reloading section and there was a bunch of info there. I don't know why I didn't think of that forst. DUH!!

With the price and scarcity of reloading supplies I am looking at also casting bullets for my .40 S&W and my 9mm. I NEVER thought that I would reload 9mm when the cost was so low, I just wish the paranoia would die down and everyone regian their senses. This new administration has way bigger problems to deal with than us gun owners, and it ain't gonna change any time soon. Besides, I was just reading that inner city gings have been turning to knives and machettes over the past year or two. Like I was taught in the service, "A knife is a better killing instrument than a gun; it is quiet, never jams or needs reloading."