The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 11, 2008, 09:42 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Who all is gearin' up for Huntin' season?

I am impatiently awaiting the start of my "venison shoppin' spree"...
How many can you legally take where you are located?
Here in florida we have a 2 per day limit with 4 in possession. I will do my best to fill freezers of myself and those who choose not to hunt nearby plus my dad and other places to stockpile my "back stock". This year is critical due to the excessive price of meat in the stores.
http://myfwc.com/hunting/pdf/08-09Hu...nsHandbook.pdf
This is our regs book. Page 10 than scroll down to see the florida bag limits...
I will also be keepin' my peepers peeled for errant hogs while out in the woods.
Brent
Old July 11, 2008, 10:15 PM   #2
fisherman66

I'm gearing up too. I may be hunting two or three different counties this year so I don't know my season limit. I have never taken more than two a year anyway. I'm trying public land for the first time. It should be a challenge. I'm bringing a good friend and a new hunter into the fold and I'm really hoping he's successful. I will gladly pass on a shot if he can make it in time. I won't pass on a hog either if presented.
Old July 11, 2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Sidetracked

My brothers and I all drew out for Wyoming Antelope again this year, so we're pretty excited about it. (Our favorite hunt and my favorite venison.)
We also all purchased Buck Mule Deer and Any Bull Elk tags for Utah, and are still considering picking up the 'post-draw leftovers' for a doe or two.

Three empty freezers are already on standby, with a fourth being purchased as soon as I make it back to mormonland. If we bag everything we have tags for, it still won't be enough room. (One can only hope...)

Blue Grouse, "Pine Chicken", season is open during both deer and elk seasons, so we'll keep our eyes out for them as well. The only thing better than filling our tag(s) during a hunt, is coming back to camp to cook up some pine chickens.

This year, every season puts us in territory none of us have spent much time in, so we'll have to do a bit more scouting. We hope to start in late August, when the temperatures start to come down a bit. We'll be going into unknown territory for the Antelope hunt, since we drew a 'backup' unit only one of us has been to before and have no time/money to scout. I think it just makes the hunt that much more fun.

Next year, we'll be adding Archery Deer and Elk to our list. So, this year we're going to start placing Utah-legal mineral blocks in a few locations along the Wasatch Front.
My 'Archery' permit will hopefully be for a weapon that is not currently legal in 40+ states. If my 'Appeal for Exception' is approved by the wildlife board, you'll hear all about it. Until then, it remains a secret and I'll be practicing with it every chance I get.

Yea, if you can't tell... I'm pretty darn excited to get things rolling for all of this.
Old July 11, 2008, 11:59 PM   #4
djonathang

Sidetracked,

You guys are too cool for school!

Sounds like a great family.

DG
Marlin 39A - Something to shoot while the .270 cools off.
Old July 12, 2008, 12:05 AM   #5
Edward429451

I am. I drew a deer tag, and elk is otc this year so I'm sure I'll get something. I plan on carrying my 1895G in 45/70 with a 400 gr cast Lyman bullet launched with a medium load of RX7 that is scary accurate.

Downing an animal with a cast bullet will be a minor milestone for me and I look forward to it with much excitement.
Old July 12, 2008, 01:12 PM   #6
Scorch

I am making a list and checking it twice. I will be hunting mule deer just a short ways from the Canadian border. My brother and a few buddies are going up north to hunt in God's country (I hope he doesn't mind too much!!). I am stepping up my conditioning routine, shooting at least every week, and making lists of gear needed. One week and two weekends is all the season we get, but I will know where my buck is before opening day.
Old July 12, 2008, 02:08 PM   #7
TheNatureBoy

"The fever" usually sets in during the month of August for me. Been thinking about hunting a lot; watching more hunting shows on the tube, talking to my hunting buddy about what property we want to hunt first. I'm getting there.
Old July 12, 2008, 03:41 PM   #8
elkman06

1st scouting trip next week

I will be heading to the mtns next week for a couple days. Will be bow hunting 9/1. Allready shooting steady.

Sidetracked, where in Wyo did you draw your goat tags?
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old July 12, 2008, 05:58 PM   #9
Logs

Allowed one antler and three skin heads here in KY. I have been working hard on the food plots trying to fatten them up.
Old July 14, 2008, 02:10 PM   #10
Longun

My hunting starts with hours of studying maps ( Both topo & satellite photos ) I do this over the winter when there is no open season. Then I will spend days in the field glassing the out skirts of the area to be hunted. Done early in the spring when conditions are the same as the hunt. Then turn the gps on and walk all the deer & bear runs in the area mapping all. Way point feeding , Bedding , old scrapes , rubs & keeping a eye out for sheds also keep an eye out for sign of other hunter so I don’t set up in someone area. Then download to mapping software this can be vary helpful in setting up blinds or tree stands again done early in the spring. Next send a friend or family member into the hunt area I will set on the out skirts & watch for escape runs again way point. Hunting only on state land presser can be heavy at times this has proven to be vary effective. Presser can be your friend. July build blinds and pick trees for stands always keeping in mind the prevailing winds. Being a professional Bear & Deer guided for the last fourteen years using the above method I have lead hunters to 38 whitetail bucks & 23 black bears. Fore me the hunt is year around .Allowed two bucks one doe.

Longun
Old July 14, 2008, 04:36 PM   #11
bswiv

Our "hunting" season actually gets underway in mid August when we start hunting alligators. Sent off to the state for our cleaning permit today.

Also mailed out deposit for a SD pheasant hunt, mid October. And spent a couple of hours at the range busting clays Saturday so that the birds will not be as "safe" as they were last year. Shooting pheasants was a lot harder than slinging buckshot at a hog!!
Old July 14, 2008, 05:10 PM   #12
Rembrandt

Our normal deer seasons won't start till October (Archery) and December (Gun).

We're having quite a problem with crop damage. DNR gave us 250 depredation tags that can be filled the first of August, doe's only. Gonna be a busy busy fall.
Old July 14, 2008, 05:11 PM   #13
indy245

I drew an Anterless Elk tag and a Anterless Mule Deer tag. Mule Deer Doe draws are good for three animals usually. (Alberta, Canada) They should be good for ten with the amount of road kill that we have in the area. I may buy a fall Black Bear tag as well. The draw that I really wanted was a Jan/Feb Bison hunt that was just added to the province, hopefully next year.

Good luck on your hunt!

Update: The wife got her Calf Moose draw. Lots of meat for the freezer...

Last edited by indy245; July 15, 2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old July 14, 2008, 06:14 PM   #14
davlandrum

Quote:
My 'Archery' permit will hopefully be for a weapon that is not currently legal in 40+ states
Atlatl ??

I am starting to get buzzed about the season. We will bow hunt elk (unit is cow or bull 3 pt or better) and rifle hunt deer west side of Oregon.

Normal bag limit is 1 deer and 1 elk per year. I got one extra tag this year for a doe.

Nothing like you lucky ones back East. Being stationed in MD really spoiled me as far as filling freezers....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 14, 2008, 06:32 PM   #15
Swampghost

I'm always ready! Hogs don't have a season here along with some other pests.
Old July 14, 2008, 10:54 PM   #16
Sidetracked

Quote:
Atlatl ??
Yes indeed.
I've had it for about a year and a half now. It is amazing how accurate and destructive a hand-thrown dart can be.
I have one of Bob Perkins' 'Warrior' atlatls, and managed to pick up some 72" lengths of Easton aluminum arrow shafts. I had the shafts finished in Florida, and the darts come in at an average of 1340 grains with 150 grain broadheads. Penetration and energy transfer are unbelievable.

Even if I am cheating with modern broadheads and aluminum darts... I see it as one of the ultimate hunting challenges.
Old July 15, 2008, 02:53 PM   #17
davlandrum

Sidetracked -

I have thrown them for fun for a few years. My mom's husband is the Chief of a tribe here and makes them. His are pretty rough, as they are mainly used for youth camps, but they function.

His collection of darts is a mis-match of any old arrow stuck to another arrow, so there is no consistency. We have a big dirt backstop we call "The Mammoth" that we shoot at.

I can see how it would be pretty cool to have a matched set to get really good with. What do you consider your max range for an accurate hit?

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old July 16, 2008, 05:07 AM   #18
rem870hunter

scouting around and checking stands in a few spots i hunt has been on my mind for the last month. the page for the small game/waterfowl page took to long to load. will have to check it again. i'm looking forward to the early canada goose season if they have it again (month of september). the regs for NJ were posted a week or 2 ago. i'm not going to be around for the week of general firearm season. but will be for the few days of early muzzleloader dec.1-2 and after the end of general firearm season. going to mexico dec. 3-8 all expense paid trip. never left the country before but will surely have a great time.
Old July 16, 2008, 09:55 AM   #19
hillbillyboy

this is gonna make all of you green with envy, but if i see a deer eating my crops, i can shoot it legally any time of day or year. But i do most of my deer killing during the season. I already got all of my stands but 1 up. and i found sheds from a 105 b&c 8 pointer less than 10 feet from eachother. In NC if you hunt public land you can kill 2 bucks, 2 antlerless, and 2 hunters choice. But if you hunt private land, you can get unlimited antlerless tags.
Old July 16, 2008, 11:00 AM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

ONE WEEK SEASON
Early season here is 11/27-30 with a +2 month long regular season from 12-13 to 2-18. "Fall turkey" is from 12-13 to 1-18 with an early season same as deer. Pretty liberal by yankee standards.
Brent
Old July 16, 2008, 06:26 PM   #21
Sidetracked

Quote:
What do you consider your max range for an accurate hit?
When I was practicing 4-5 days a week, I could keep 3 darts in a 14" circle at about 40 yards. I attempted 50-100 yard shots quite a bit, but you really have to read the wind.

The last few months, I haven't had access to an area where I could practice. I'd be lucky to hit the target once with 10 darts.
Old July 16, 2008, 09:11 PM   #22
BIGR

Just paid the farmer the lease money....och that hurts but it will be worth it this fall. Its about time to start putting a few stands up, but we will wait til later. I can't wait til the deer season gets here, I'VE already got the fever.
Old July 23, 2008, 05:36 PM   #23
Mannlicher

I am over in N. Central Florida. Same bag limits for deer here as stated in the opening post here.
Most of my hunting is on three farms north of town. Last year was slim pickings due to the dry condtions, but this year's scouting shows that it should be a banner year.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 23, 2008, 09:17 PM   #24
stevelyn

I'm already starting to prep and pack gear. I've even got a new Tikka T3 Lite enroute with all the necessities.

The month of September is MINE.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old August 2, 2008, 02:35 PM   #25
all7frogs

Prep for hunt

Got my reloading done, ordered a tree lounge last week and got all our draws in place. Luck gave me a beautiful royal elk last year and a good 140ish whitetail. Tough to follow up on but I got drawn for cow elk, muley buck, and antlered moose. My wife got a bull moose draw, my daughter and son each got a cow moose draw so hopefully one of us connects.

Once again I am really looking forward to the fall at which time I get about zero done at home for about three months.

Hey indy245 I'm heading your way for the elk and muley.