The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 10, 2008, 02:25 PM   #1
KMG5402

Pressure pad placement

I'm building a tactical rig consisting of an AK, tri rail, tac light, laser, and scope. I'll mount the laser on one side and the light on the other. Both are coming with separate pressure pads, and my searches for placement recommendations are coming up dry. The best places I can think to put them are on the front of the bottom handguard so I can slide my thumb forward on one side, and my index forward on the other. The only problem with this is I don't want the cables stretching from my rail to the front of the gun.

Anyone had experience with dual pad mounting? Serious posts only please.

Thanks
Old May 10, 2008, 07:08 PM   #2
jdc48160

Sounds like alot of hassle to me. It almost sounds unavoidable that you're gonna have cables running from the rail to the rear of the gun for the pressure pads.

I'd ditch the laser on the AK and just go with the light and a single pressure pad, and learn to shoot without the laser. If you're gonna have a scope on it, why do you need the laser to begin with?

I'd also possibly look into a sighting system similar to the Trijicon ACOG, or another type of open red dot system or somethin.
Old May 10, 2008, 07:32 PM   #3
hoytinak

Two seperate cables is just too much for me. I know they're not AK's but this is what I ended up with in the light/laser search. Beretta Cx4 with Lasermax laser (using my left thumb to activate) and TLR-1 with pressure switch. Then my M4 with G2 light (using left thumb to activate) and red dot sight ontop of ACOG.

Last edited by hoytinak; May 10, 2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: pics
Old May 11, 2008, 12:47 AM   #4
T. O'Heir

Seriously, forget all the excess weight creating gizmos. There is no such thing as a 'tactical' rifle in the first place. And adding a bunch of useless bits and pieces to an AK won't make it shoot any better. Don't waste your money.
Old May 28, 2008, 05:21 PM   #5
RandyStacyE

I like to keep my pressure pad on the right side of the grip. I also wrap the grip with 3M Vet Wrap. There are no adhesives, it grips right to just about anything, it sticks to itself like mad, and doesn't leave a weak seam.