The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2005, 08:59 AM   #1
tjhands

Is Power Pistol good for medium 10mm loads?

Welp, I did it again. Bought the brass, dies and other accessories for a certain caliber (this time it's the 10mm) before I even own the gun. Looks like I need the gun to go with it.....go figure!

Anyway, I hear that Power Pistol is good for heavier 10mm loads, but is it OK for mid-range stuff, too? I also have W231......would that be better (more accurate) for mid-range work? Of course, I have Unique and AA#5, too, so I do have options, but I thought I'd run it by y'all first to see what you use.

I'm going to be shooting 180g JHP bullets.
Old August 24, 2005, 06:25 PM   #2
Peter M. Eick

Its ok to good for moderate 10mm loads. It will put you into the "better" than the 40 "short and weak" level of power.

If you want raw power, and are willing to go and load hot, 800x, AA7, Longshot, or even blue dot do better.

My favorite plinking loads are max (book) charges of aa7 and a 180 grn JHP. For real 10mm power, I go for 800x and longshot.
Old August 24, 2005, 10:50 PM   #3
BigSlick

Power Pistol is a great 10mm powder as is HS-6 for medium performance.

For PP I load 8.5gr behind a 180gr Hornady XTP. It chronos about 1180 fps.

For HS-6 I load 9.4 gr for about 1100 fps.

For plinking or target ammo I load 5.6 gr Titegroup behind the 155gr Hornady XTP. Nice and soft, and maybe the most accurate load I have ever loaded for a pistol.

For full house loads, I load 14gr AA#9 behind a Speer 180 JHP. It chronos at about 1270 fps.

I haven't tried Blue Dot but I hear it's all that and a bag of chips for full house fun.

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.
Old August 25, 2005, 07:38 AM   #4
tjhands

Thanks for the ideas, fellas. Guess I'll start with 7.5g of Power Pistol and see how that does before going up. Well, obviously the first thing I need to do is get a gun that'll shoot them.

My girlfriend just rolled her eyes and said, "that's OK......I do the same with clothes: start with the shoes then build an outfit from there!"
Old August 26, 2005, 07:22 PM   #5
grendelbane

Power Pistol is currently my favourite choice in 10 mm. People can argue about high power, low power, and mid range loads. With load data from Alliant, I can launch 180 grain bullets at 1240 FPS with Power Pistol.

This is warm enough for me. You may not consider this a high power load. It is as hot as I want to subject my Delta Elite to on a regular basis. Yes, 800x may reach higher velocities at a safe pressure. I am more worried about the slide velocity beating up my pistol. I know all about extra strength springs, shock buffs, and small radius firing pin stops. Power Pistol provides all of the velocity that I could ever want from a 10mm, and does so at a reasonable level of pressure.

800X does sound like it might be worth experimenting with in my 610, though!
Old August 27, 2005, 07:49 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

cautions

800X requires chrono-mapping at higher levels; can get weird-spikey real quick.

Blue Dot also delivers similar performance; not as potentially spikey.
Chrono required; safety first.