The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 13, 2002, 12:04 PM   #1
300winguy

Binoculars East and West

I am going to buy some binoculars, either Zeiss, Swarovski, or Steiner. What I wanted some input on is whether I should get something along the lines of say 10x25 weight= about 10 oz. or larger 8 to 10x40 weight=about 25oz. I am leaning towards the smaller versions due to the fact that they would be easier to carry on long hunts and backpacking. What do you all think? For hunting versitility from coast to coast and everything inbetween? thanks for help.
Old November 13, 2002, 03:14 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In short-shot country, generally, you're stand hunting. You won't be walking far, so weight isn't that much of a problem. Light "gathering"--transmissibility--is important for early morning and late evening.

If you're walking a lot of territory, light weight is important, maybe moreso than ultimate light gathering. Clarity is more important than raw power, as well. I've generally been quite content with 7x35 or maybeso 8x40 binoculars.

I've never seriously banged up any binocs, so to me all that rubberoid armor is, is weight. Bummer.

Just some thoughts,

Art
Old November 13, 2002, 07:05 PM   #3
dakotasin

my first pair of 'real' binoculars were 10x50. overall, i am satisfied with them, but i think i'd be better served with a pair of 8x40's. when i can get the money up, that's what i'll be using.

also, for this year i picked up a harness for my binoculars. the harness i have is manufactured by crooked horn outfitters and marketed by cabela's. i highly reccomend them. my heavy 10x50's were hardly noticeable when the weight was transferred to my shoulders instead of my neck.
Old November 13, 2002, 09:21 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I've always carried mine on a longish 3/4" cloth strap, slung across my body from my right shoulder. They hang just above my waist. Doesn't interfere with the slung rifle, and they're otherwise out of the way.

Art
Old November 14, 2002, 02:26 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

I use tiny Simmons compacts for hunting here in the east. Binocs are just not that important where i hunt, and big binocs are heavy. This is especially useful for quick access. You're not a birdwatcher with binocs in hand, you're a hunter with a rifle in hand, and only one extra hand to bring those binocs up quickly to catch a fleeting glimpse of game. I carry a compact lightweight pair that fit in my chest pocket, and don't bump around my neck while I'm walking.
Old November 14, 2002, 03:14 PM   #6
300winguy

Poodleshooter, Your advice has been what I have been contemplating. I am going shopping for binoculars this weekend and I believe I am going to learn towards buying a lighter compact pair. Haven't seen the advantage to a heavier pair, especially upper end models.
Old November 14, 2002, 06:37 PM   #7
yankytrash

I've got me a sweet pair of 20x60 Bushnell's. Them big bastards stay home for every hunt, in liu of what was a gag gift in a past life - a pair of 6x16 tiny little nocs from the Sharper Image store. They fit perfectly into a shirt pocket, and give my eyes all the extra help they need in deep woods.

I too hunt east coast, about 3 hours NE of Poodleshooter. Also hunt upstate NY on occasion.

Editted to add - Them Sharper Image nocs also have a tiny compass on top of'm!!