The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 14, 2017, 02:10 PM   #1
Prndll

Adding Definitions to the TFL resources

Can all the terms listed within the Revolver, pistol, and handgun thread be added to this websites own local dictionary of terms for use and reference by any and all who might be interested?
Old October 15, 2017, 03:08 PM   #2
Prndll

In other words:
The concept of "pistol" vs. "handgun" vs. "revolver" is considered so overwhelmingly complex that it would create mass confusion if added to this websites online dictionary. Thus the answer is a no.
Old October 15, 2017, 03:45 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
In other words:
The concept of "pistol" vs. "handgun" vs. "revolver" is considered so overwhelmingly complex that it would create mass confusion if added to this websites online dictionary. Thus the answer is a no.
TFL is a discussion forum, not a loosely affiliated web-based committee intended to agree upon, codify and preserve universal truths nor to hammer out differences of opinion and officialize/formalize the consensus view. This discussion will come up again (it has before) and the discussion may or may not play out the same and may or may not reach the same consensus--assuming a consensus was reached in this thread.

Sometimes discussion threads provide very useful insight, sometimes they do not. When they do, they are preserved on the internet for those who wish to search for them and learn from them. When they do not, they are also preserved on the internet. The "consumer" is responsible for deciding what information from TFL they wish to assimilate and what they wish to ignore just as is true in every other aspect of life.

There are some basic TFL information resources (such as those under the FAQ links) , but they are intended to provide general knowledge as opposed to resolve ongoing differences of opinion in the firearms community. There is not and probably will never be an continuing effort to comb through all the threads on TFL and update the TFL information resources any time consensus is reached on a particular topic.

I'll put your request to the staff for discussion.
Old October 15, 2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Prndll

Thank you for your consideration.
I have no desire to tell anyone how to run their website. I would simply state that if this is such a cloudy issue that this specific question keeps coming up....it isn't due to lack of 'consensus' as much as lack of a direct answer (requiring another thread/conversation). It certainly sounds like a consensus has been reached (a very long time ago). These are words with a meaning that do not require any consensus (atleast not at this point). There are many people out there that are new to firearms that just do not have that 50 years experience to draw on. That does not make them idiots or fools. The mere fact that the question is being asked in the first place really should say something. To TFL aswell as the community. People want to know and some of them are finding TFL looking for answers. It is not necessary to bury these nuggets of data within a series of threads that can only be found with a search. Especially given the way TFL is already structured. If TFL is to be a 'resource' then I would ask those that run it to make use of it to its potential. Particularly if the feeling is going to be "But everyone wants to appear to know something of importance." It isn't that I want to apear to know something I don't. But there are things I do know and understand. As others that come here (wether they create a login or not).

If your not all that interested in dealing with people that don't know what they think they do, then perhaps it's time to help them rather than be condescending.
Old October 15, 2017, 06:46 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
It is not necessary to bury these nuggets of data within a series of threads that can only be found with a search. Especially given the way TFL is already structured. If TFL is to be a 'resource' then I would ask those that run it to make use of it to its potential.
Nobody is burying them, they show up where they show up because of the nature of the website.

What you're asking for, in the general case is to fundamentally change the entire philosophy of the website from a discussion forum to a site that is primarily a wiki type site with an associated discussion forum.
Quote:
If your not all that interested in dealing with people that don't know what they think they do, then perhaps it's time to help them rather than be condescending.
I tried to give you a thorough explanation, not just a simple response.
Quote:
I have no desire to tell anyone how to run their website.
If you're not interested in telling anyone how to run their website then perhaps you could try to display less irritation/sarcasm/displeasure when your suggestions aren't immediately acted upon.
Old October 15, 2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Prndll

Then why have the Library section at all?
Old October 15, 2017, 07:02 PM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Then why have the Library section at all?
There are some basic TFL information resources (such as those under the FAQ links) , but they are intended to provide general knowledge as opposed to resolve ongoing differences of opinion in the firearms community.

They are primarily to provide very basic context, information on acronyms, and other general information which is useful or necessary to make sense of the discussions that take place on TFL.
Old October 15, 2017, 07:07 PM   #8
Prndll

providing basic context is exactly what I'm asking for. Not any kind of difference in opinion. It is not opinion that revolvers were called pistols before we had semi-autos. That was the way it was. Just like the various other facts given in the library.
Old October 15, 2017, 07:25 PM   #9
JohnKSa
Staff

Your request has been put to the staff for discussion.