The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 23, 2017, 02:47 PM   #26
g.willikers

Hey guys, here's a couple of youtube videos on removing screws with damaged heads.
The first one is how to use a chisel, in this case an air chisel plus a cutter and vise grip.
That was one stubborn screw, probably due to being in an aluminum case.
But hand tools work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTNxlcp4S-8
The second video is from Lowes and has some neat tricks, too, especially cutting a new screw driver slot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI2hl3Zfi6Q
Lots more at youtube.
Old January 25, 2017, 05:37 PM   #27
weaselfire

FWIW, I've done this for $15 or no charge, depending on customer and what else they are having done. Shop rate is $60 an hour and just removing screws is a five minute job in most cases. If the hole needs redrilling and tapping it might be a bit more.

I've never needed more than a drill press for this and it's a common gunsmith job. I haven't screwed one up in a while, but when I do I fix it on my dime.

This may not work for some but it works for me, my needs, my business and my customers. Most of whom don't complain. If they tell me I need to do the work a certain way, I tell them I'm not equipped for it and send them elsewhere.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited by weaselfire; January 25, 2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old January 27, 2017, 09:18 AM   #28
g.willikers

A poor craftsman blames his tools - or lack of them.
Gun smithing didn't just suddenly arrive with the invention of modern elaborate equipment and electricity.
The main source of power for machines back in the day was water power or animal power, not as available as the electricity we all take for granted.
While it's gotten easier for those with access and the skill to use large power tools, for centuries weapons were very well made and repaired with hand tools.
Heck, they still are.
Thinking that only the most elaborate way to do things is acceptable leaves us helpless if they aren't available.
And that is not acceptable.

Last edited by g.willikers; January 27, 2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old January 27, 2017, 10:26 AM   #29
sserdlihc

My experiences with gunsmiths have been hit or miss.

A local gunsmith to my work was wanting to charge me $25 to order a set of night sites, plus a fee to install them. This was to cover his time. So I bought a site pusher and did them myself.

Before I got into AR's, a friend of mine need his staked castle nut removed. We went to a lgs which had it's own gunsmith. He did it while we waited and charged us nothing because we shopped their.