The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 10, 2014, 10:15 PM   #1
NateKirk

Anyone hunt deer with BP pistols?

I'm not talking about revolvers (beside maybe a walker), I'm talking about .50 caliber plus pistols? If so what do you use?

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old December 11, 2014, 09:40 AM   #2
noelf2

I use a scoped CVA Optima V2, loaded with two 777 pellets and a 250gr Hornady SST sabot slug.
Old December 11, 2014, 09:42 AM   #3
Hawg

Not legal here at least not during primitive weapons season.
Old December 11, 2014, 09:52 AM   #4
noelf2

In Virginia some counties allow it and some don't.
Old December 11, 2014, 10:00 AM   #5
Doyle

Quote:
Yea Hawg, that was a big disappointment to me when moving here. I was just about ready to make the deal on a .50 Encore pistol barrel before I moved and then I found out that I wouldn't be able to use it.
Old December 11, 2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Pahoo

Knight Hawkeye

Quote:
I'm talking about .50 caliber plus pistols?
I have but not lately. Mine is a Knight "Hawkeye" using 80 grns of loose 777. Just kept it on open sights. ...

Quote:
I find this a bit strange and can anyone tell me the logic or justification?? ..

Be Safe !!!
Old December 11, 2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Doyle

Quote:
I find this a bit strange and can anyone tell me the logic or justification??
Pahoo, finding logic in MS's primitive weapons season is like trying to find an Obama hater in the middle of Ferguson's 'hood. We have multiple primitive weapons seasons here (not including archery season). The first one is does only; the subsequent ones are bucks and does. Weapons exclude any kind of handgun but they do include single shot external hammer centerfire rifles of .35 and greater (yea .35 Whelen Encore).

Then, it gets even more complicated. On the subsequent primitive weapons seasons, public land firearms remain the same as before but on private land all normal deer hunting firearms are now allowed (they call it "weapon of choice").
Old December 11, 2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
finding logic in MS's primitive weapons season is like trying to find an Obama hater in the middle of Ferguson's 'hood
You can say that again. The only good thing about it is you cant hardly give an inline away.
Old December 11, 2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Pahoo

Yah get what you vote for.

Quote:
Pahoo, finding logic in MS's primitive weapons season is like trying to find an Obama hater in the middle of Ferguson's 'hood.
Ah yes, one of those "Political Mysteries". We have them as well and when you ask one of our local Carp-Cops. They agree and just shrug it off. It all goes back to the state capital and the grand job those folks are doing. .... NOT

A friend of mine has an Uncle that owns a store in the sacrificial two block area of Ferguson. He's not a happy. .....

Be Safe !!!