The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 24, 2011, 04:34 PM   #1
Ben Towe

Colt's 3rd Dragoon

Hello long lost friends, I've just traded for a NIB Colt's Dragoon and thought I'd share some pictures and get your opinions on value, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1303680795621.jpg (247.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1303680832896.jpg (246.7 KB, 89 views)
Old April 24, 2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

A NIB Sig Series Colt 3rd Model Dragoon is worth around $600. In 90% condition the value drops to about $250
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 25, 2011, 07:43 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

Your Dragoon appears to be the F1741, Third Model Dragoon, Military Model. Four screw with the steel back strap. These are scarce. Designed to be used with a shoulder stock, Colt Blackpowder never produced the shoulder stocks.
Old April 26, 2011, 04:51 AM   #4
Ben Towe

Yes, it is the F1741 with the shoulder stock screws you speak of. Should I keep it in unfired condition or just shoot it and enjoy it? I bought it with the intention of keeping it unfired... but temptation, temptation...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old April 26, 2011, 08:18 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

I would shoot it. I would keep it in the best possible condition. Fire arms are not a great investment medium, while there are a few exceptions, prices keep up with inflation. Shoot it and enjoy it and hopefully you well break even if and when you sell.
Old April 26, 2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Hardy

I think Fingers has a pretty good knowledge on this 3rd model dragoon. If it was a 1st model or the marine dragoon I might argue a little. It's a fine piece and if it came with original shipping box /2 foam paddings/instruction manual/ and liner in gray box uncracked it might be worth $800.00. But what was posted earlie the prices are a little conservative but realistic. Actually I want a 3rd First model Signiture dragoon in boxes. Hey everyone I need one
WBH
Old April 26, 2011, 11:07 PM   #7
Fingers McGee

I didn't enlarge the picture, so didnt see the shoulder stock cuts. MCB was on the stick when he identified it as a F1741. That model is scarce and would command a premium over the standard Sig Series 3rd Model. The fluted cylinder model is even more scarce otherwise known as rare - and IIRC, MCB has one of them
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 27, 2011, 06:36 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltmaster
The fluted cylinder model is even more scarce otherwise known as rare - and IIRC, MCB has one of them

Here's a standard 3rd Model dragoon with the rectangular cylinder notches.

Same 3rd Model with a fluted cylinder.

Fluted 1860 wanted equal time.