The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 20, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1
ZVP

Night firing

Yesterday, I found a thread where Night Firing was discussed. I didn't know that any range or Club would allow such antics! It sure would look cool!
To prevent night blindness, it was suggested to get your sight picture as best as possible, close your eyes and touch her off!
From the Muzzle blast I have experienced on my BP revolvers, there is a considerable flash at the forcing cone and at the muzzle also. I load sensibly and never load to the MAX but I still get considerable flash!
I could imagine you get a HUGE flash and it'd be something to see (once, cause you'd see spots!).
I didn't know that anyone would allow night firing of Black Powder arms. Any idea where this would go on?
ZVP
Old April 20, 2011, 12:50 PM   #2
arcticap

Probably at a muzzle loading club.
They can sometimes have camp outs or any other kind of shooting activities that they want to sponsor.
Every club has their own rules and procedures for authorizing club activities.
After all, most club property is private property.
And depending on the proximity of neighbors and local ordinances, they just need to stay within the limitations of the law and try to avoid complaints and lawsuits.
My gun club allows police qualification shooting to go on at night. The gun club members are not allowed to shoot at night because the club doesn't want to annoy the neighbors and has an agreement with the town which leases the property, but the police are required to do a certain amount of shooting at night.

Last edited by arcticap; April 20, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old April 20, 2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Bishop Creek

I'm not sure about where you live, but I'm in the boonies, so I just go out in the nearby desert and shoot. I have fired all types of black powder arms at night, the most impressive has been my double barrel shotgun with 16 gauge black powder shells. Talk about massive flames! I have a couple of night shots, but can't find them right now, I'll to look for them.

Old April 20, 2011, 01:04 PM   #4
Pahoo

We have done this at private clubs, Camp outs and Scout camp. You can do some tricks to enhance the flame. Normally no projectiles. We have also done this with morters and cannons. The fourth of July is a great opertunity to do these. I always set off one of my cannons on the fourth. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 20, 2011, 06:08 PM   #5
B.L.E.

Trap shooting at night under the lights in Brady TX at the Texas Muzzle Loading Rifle Association shoot.

Old April 20, 2011, 07:57 PM   #6
Hawg

The muzzle flash in pitch black is awsum.
Old April 21, 2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Noz

A lot of the Cowboy clubs have night shoots.

A lot of fun!
Old April 21, 2011, 11:57 AM   #8
mykeal

Old April 21, 2011, 12:04 PM   #9
ClemBert

Awesome!
Old April 21, 2011, 01:03 PM   #10
Foto Joe

2nd Model Dragoon
30gr Goex = KABOOM!!

I've got to get the video camera out and try to capture some stills from the video. This was just done hand holding with the shutter open.

Old April 21, 2011, 01:38 PM   #11
Hardcase

Holy crap, Joe!
Old April 21, 2011, 02:12 PM   #12
Foto Joe

And y'all wonder why they keep tellin' us that they don't want our kind at thier high falootin' indoor ranges?? Some of them snooty smokeless shooters just don't know what they're missin' do they?