The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 16, 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
Civil War Life

+ P cases

I have some 9mm +P cases that I picked up on the range. Is there any reason not to reload them for use as standard 9mm Lugar cases?
Old August 16, 2011, 10:00 AM   #2
overkill0084

This is by no means set in stone but typically there is little to no difference between the cases themselves, in 9mm as well as many other callibers (.38 spec comes to mind). If you go to the starline brass site, they actually state this about their 9mm +P brass. It's simply to describe the original loading.

9MM+P Brass (Small Pistol primer) .748"-.754" O.A.L.
9MM+P has no difference from the standard 9mm Luger other than headstamp designation for load segregation. Due to standard case design, it will handle +P pressures with no problems."

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.p...740a30e34a9350

Use as you would any other brass.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old August 17, 2011, 09:30 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

danger

Please do NOT assume any case stamped "+P" is the same as a standard case, because some manufacturers' +P cases are thicker, reducing internal volume.

Do NOT assume.
Old August 17, 2011, 09:02 PM   #4
Clark

The RP 9mm cases, the RP 9mm +P and the RP 9mm +P+ cases I have are all the same.

The Starline 45acp +P cases are thicker walls and can take more pressure in poor case support barrels. That is my observation and that is what the man at Starline told me.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?