The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 4, 2010, 07:13 PM   #2826
number_nine

Good evening and Happy Easter.

My almost mother in law has an old and very shiny 38 special SN V2260XX I can't make out the model as it is stamped very lightly. It has non adjustable sights, the rear is a sort of groove and the front has Parker Hale stamped in the side of the sight.

When I swing out the cylinder, it says VRNP (I Ithink) and then 38", .767", V2260XX, and finally 3 1/2 tons.

I'm actually glad she wants to know more about the gun as it enabled me to find this forum. I'm more of a 1911 shooter, but I like my wheels too.

Thanks for your help.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:41 AM   #2827
laytonj1

Quote:
My almost mother in law has an old and very shiny 38 special SN V2260XX I can't make out the model as it is stamped very lightly. It has non adjustable sights, the rear is a sort of groove and the front has Parker Hale stamped in the side of the sight.

When I swing out the cylinder, it says VRNP (I Ithink) and then 38", .767", V2260XX, and finally 3 1/2 tons.
You have a Victory model Military & Police. They were made during WWII (1940 to 1945).
There was also a quantity of them made for England chambered in .38/200 (38 S&W), not to be confused with 38 Special. The British proofs marks (3 1/2 tons) and the Parker Hale stamping indicates yours was likely a British service revolver that was converted by Parker Hale (in England) back to 38 Special after the war and reimported.

Jim
Old April 5, 2010, 05:54 AM   #2828
Cornbread Earl

God Bless America

Hi, I've been reading everyone's threads, and I was hoping to maybe get some help. I just started buying guns and amassing ammunition this year, and I was hoping to get some information about two Smith and Wesson revolvers that I purchased. The first one is a big revolver with a 6" barrel in .357 caliber. It came in a wooden box lined with blue fake velvet to hold it. It says Mod 27-2, N362XXX. I bought it for $350. The second is a small revolver with a 2" barrel in .38. It says Mod 10-5, and has a stamp that says 28671, A16. The serial on the bottom of the handle is: D669XXX. I paid $400 for it, it came in a blue cardboard box that had the S&W symbol.
Can anyone please help me determine the age of these guns, and the value? Did I get cheated, or was it a fair deal? I can figure out how to get good deals on some new guns that I just bought (Beretta PX4 .40 and Springfield XD40 subcompact), but I have no clue about the age and value of those Smith revolvers. I really appreciate any insight or help that could be given, I just got out of the military and am getting into civilian firearms, and hope to be as knowledgeable as you guys one day. Thanks! God Bless America and the 2nd Amendment!
Old April 5, 2010, 07:11 AM   #2829
sparkz

Model 19 Number

I have a 2 1/2" nickle plated S&W Model 19 Serial # 226K5XX

Can anyone tell me how old it is?

Thanks
Old April 5, 2010, 07:15 AM   #2830
FlyFish

Cornbread -

Your Mod. 27 dates from 1975-76. It's built on the "N" frame, which at the time was S&W's largest handgun frame, and is essentially the same gun that was developed to fire the then-new .357 Magnum cartridge in 1935. You didn't say when you bought it, but if relatively recently, and assuming it's in good condition, at $350 you stole it. They're currently selling, and selling pretty quickly, for about double that around here. There are basically two types of S&W revolver people: those that have a 27, and those that want one (mine dates from a couple years after yours).

The Mod. 10 was manufactured in 1974. It's built on the smaller (mid-size) "K" frame, and is derived from the basic .38 Special Military and Police model that Smith has been making since about the turn of the century (the last century, that is). It's a much more common gun, and also doesn't carry the cachet of the .357 Mag, so values are considerably lower than your Mod. 27. Depending on condition, $400 is pretty much the right price. IMHO, everyone should own at least one Model 10.

As you correctly noted, the serial number on S&W revolvers is the number on the bottom of the grip portion of the frame, known as the butt. Any other numbers or number/letter combinations you might see in the frame cutout are known as "assembly numbers," which are used to keep track of fitted parts during manufacture and have no particular significance. As you probably know, having the boxes, along with any original paperwork and tools, adds to the value of any gun, especially guns that are considered collectible, so be sure to keep all that.

Hope that helps, and thank you for your service.

ETA: Just noticed that you said you bought both guns this year - yeah, you definitely stole that 27!

sparkz: 1982
Old April 5, 2010, 07:39 AM   #2831
sparkz

FlyFish, thanks very much.
Old April 5, 2010, 07:50 AM   #2832
Cornbread Earl

Hey FlyFish, thanks a lot for your help, it means a lot. Ive been buying all my guns at pawn shops, going to get a shotgun today with my poker winnings.
Appreciate the education: knowledge is power. If you want me to be on the lookout for any particular guns that you are looking for, just let me know, and Ill shoot you a line here if i run across one when I hop from shop to shop.
Old April 5, 2010, 08:23 AM   #2833
FlyFish

Quote:
If you want me to be on the lookout for any particular guns that you are looking for, just let me know, and Ill shoot you a line here if i run across one when I hop from shop to shop.
Thank you, sir. If you happen across a nice Model 24 (aka the .44 Special Target Model of 1950 prior to the introduction of model numbers in 1957), not the more recent -3 through -5 reintroduction, but one of the originals up through 24-2, I will become your slave for life.
Old April 5, 2010, 12:51 PM   #2834
aarondhgraham

A bit of help identifying a S&W revolver please.

This revolver does not have a model number inside the yoke,,,
The serial number on the grip is K1327XX,,,
It is chambered for .22 LR.

Shoots great by the way.

We are fairly sure the gentleman owned it in the very early 1950's,,,
Maybe as early as the late 1940's.

Honest guys,,,
My S&W book should be here any day now.

Thanks for the look-up.
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old April 5, 2010, 01:25 PM   #2835
FlyFish

aarondhgraham: That's a K-22 Masterpiece, 3rd Model, aka the pre-Model 17. That serial number dates it to 1951. I believe (but don't pretend to be an expert on this) that the grips would not have been original to the gun. Target grips were introduced for K-frames in 1950, but the football-shaped relief cut into the top of the left grip to make extraction easier didn't appear until the middle of the decade. The red insert on the front sight (I hope it's only nail polish - but it does look like an insert) is not original, as you probably knew. I hope also the set screws on the trigger shoe didn't mark up the trigger too badly. Still, nice gun - these early Smiths always make me envious, and from time to time also make me a little poorer.
Old April 5, 2010, 02:00 PM   #2836
aarondhgraham

Thanks FlyFish,,,

I appreciate the look-up and the extra information about the front sight,,,
To tell the truth I didn't look closely at the sight when I snapped the picture of the revolver.

I'll look at it closer and let you know if it's an insert or just paint.

Thanks again.
Old April 5, 2010, 03:23 PM   #2837
Kathrine

38 Special

I have a family heirloom 38 revolver with the serial number 397272. Can anyone tell me the year it was made?
Old April 5, 2010, 04:26 PM   #2838
FlyFish

Kathrine: Most S&W serial numbers are not restricted to only one model of revolver, and (particularly with a number such as yours) could have been used more than once, and in different years. Just because they're so common, chances are you have a .38 Special Hand Ejector Military & Police made between 1915 and 1942, but we can't be sure without more information, such as:

barrel length
finish
fixed or adjustable sights
round or square butt
etc.

Best of all would be a photograph. If you can provide some or all of that, we'll do what we can to pin it down for you.
Old April 5, 2010, 04:41 PM   #2839
Kathrine

Thanks FlyFish. I'll post a picture shortly.
Old April 5, 2010, 05:53 PM   #2840
Kathrine

38 revolver

I apologize for the quality of the picture.

Old April 5, 2010, 07:02 PM   #2841
laytonj1

Kathrine,

As FlyFish suggested, it's a .38 Military & Police 4th Change.
Serial numbers ran from 241704 in 1915 to 1000000 in 1942.
Although there is no way to be exact without a factory letter, S&W started heat treating the cylinders around 1920 at SN 316XXX. So, your serial number of 397272 would likely be 1920's.

Jim
Old April 5, 2010, 07:23 PM   #2842
Martlee

I have a 38 special that is the 10-8 model.
Serial number is 5D280XX. Thanks
Old April 5, 2010, 07:40 PM   #2843
FlyFish

Martlee: 1979
Old April 5, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2844
Kathrine

Thanks laytonj1! That is exactly what I needed to know.
Old April 6, 2010, 08:18 AM   #2845
aarondhgraham

Hello FlyFish,,,

I went home yesterday and gave the K-22 a thorough cleaning,,,
That red on the front sight is definitely painted on.

The owner of the handgun says there is a drawer full of grips at her Dad's old house,,,
Perhaps we could find the original grips there.

Did I read somewhere that the grips were often marked with the S-N of the gun?

Anyways, thanks again for the quick look-up,,,
My S&W book should be here today.
Old April 6, 2010, 10:59 AM   #2846
FlyFish

That's very good news about the front sight, Aarond. I hate to see these classic old revolvers modified in any way that can't be undone. I've purchased a couple of guns where previous owners had done something similar, either with paint or nail polish, and a bit of acetone on a cleaning patch took it right off with no harm to the blueing. Of course, if you like it that way there's no reason not to just leave it.

With regard to the grips - yes, your K-22 should have left the factory with grips numbered to the gun. The numbers will be stamped toward the bottom of the right-hand grip, i.e., the one that fits into your palm when you hold the gun right-handed. The number stamped on the grip will not include any serial number prefix, so in your case only the numeric digits "1327XX" or perhaps only the last few digits will be stamped. Good luck on that - it would be great to keep the original grips with the gun, even if you leave the target grips on for shooting.

I believe it's likely that the original grips will be the "magna" style, not oversized target grips. The detailed discussion of grips starts on p. 19 of SCSW, for when your copy arrives.
Old April 6, 2010, 06:13 PM   #2847
tahitian.tedgrace

Can anyone help me to date a S&W Mod.10-8 serial # 5D495xx

Can anyone help me to date this S&W mod.10-8 Thanks. Ted
Old April 6, 2010, 06:59 PM   #2848
FlyFish

Quote:
Can anyone help me to date this S&W mod.10-8 Thanks. Ted
Ted - you've posted this as a new thread twice, and now here (which is where it belonged originally). The answer is the same as it was when I responded a few hours ago to one of those new threads: 1979.
Old April 7, 2010, 07:26 AM   #2849
Aceshootn

S&W Information

I have my Grandfathers State Police service pistol but know nothing about it.
38 Special, 6-rounds, Serial #C4057XX

Thanks,
Ace

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; November 30, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old April 7, 2010, 09:30 AM   #2850
FlyFish

Ace: Your revolver dates from 1957, which was the first year that Smith started assigning numbers to their different model revolvers, which previously were distinguished only by name. If you swing the cylinder out and look at the area of the frame that's exposed, the model number should be stamped there, probably following the letters "Mod." The possibilities include Model 10 (most likely) or Model 12, which is essentially the same gun, but with an alloy frame to reduce weight. If for some reason the model number isn't there, you can check the frame with a magnet.

The Model 10 was originally known at the .38 Military & Police (or .38 M&P or sometimes .38 Military & Police Model of 1905, or sometimes .38 Hand Ejector M&P, and similar variations). It's the basic K-frame (i.e., mid-sized) S&W fixed-site revolver and was a very common, probably the most common, revolver carried by police around the world, or at least in the US.

Tags
s&w 686