The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 22, 2002, 07:30 PM   #1
bushmaster225

Just got back from the Range.. More confused then every!

First I have always heard great stuff about Power Pistol, but I was very surprised by the amount of muzzle flash. Recoil wasn't to bad, but I was scared enough that I only shot about 20 rounds. Cases looked OK. Load was 5.7 grs PP under 124 gr Berry RN oal 1.140

Second all loads at 7 yards were good. As I move out of cousre it opened up a little.

W231 4.3grs 124 Berry was ok maybe the best.

Titegroup 4.0 grs 124 Berry was a close second

Titegroup 4.5 grs 115 Rainier was OK also. I did notice that 4.5 115 Rainier at 1.140 was a lot better then 1.165 oal

All are 9 mm. Compared all against 115 Federal Factory. None was as good (I don't think, Did have a ransom rest), but I guess they'll do. I'll probably go with the Titegroup 4.0 w/124 grain. As my IDPA / GSSF load.

Any help is welcome.

Bushmaster225
Old June 22, 2002, 08:55 PM   #2
Yodar

Power Pistol

Power Pistol is a fine powder...It acts like a CLEAN Unique... 5% difference in burn rate...Clearly a muzzle flash is due to the unburnt powder expelled at the muzzle igniting...if you want powder burning actively behind a bullet all the way to the muzzle, you will get muzzle flash. Comes with the territory. Don't like it? Use a longer bbl. or faster powder (AA #2)

I USE power Pistol exclusively for my CZ 52 loads to duplicate factory load loudenboomer mit spitzensparken effect.

In 9mm a slightly less vigorous type is Hodgdon Universal which excellent for routine blasting without the fireworks...I use 3.9 g under a 124 gr cast ...very clean and well behaved and at 3.9 gr...lasts forever!

Yodar