The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM   #26
Bart B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounddawg View Post
so basically a well tuned load as far as powder choice/powder charge/seating depth and primer selection does the same thing a tuner does.
No. If that were true, nobody would use tuners to make their best handloads more accurate.

If one's handloads have less than a 5 fps extreme spread, a tuner could reduce vertical spread a few SOA or more. All barrels that shoot the same small velocity spread won't have the same vibration properties.

Last edited by Bart B.; Yesterday at 06:16 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #27
hounddawg

Quote:
No. If that were true, nobody would use tuners to make their best handloads more accurate.

maybe they don't have the patience or ability to can't get their ES/SD's down by load tuning. If you are in consistent single digits for SD and low teens for ES I don't see much of a purpose
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

By adding mass at the muzzle, the turner slows the overall rate of bending in muzzle deflection. That causes a flat spot to be wider, so load error either in charge weight or due to change in temperature has less effect. In other words, it makes the sweet spot wider, which can be an advantage in some conditions.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM   #29
Bart B.

Quote:
If you are in consistent single digits for SD and low teens for ES I don't see much of a purpose
How many seconds of angle is the vertical spread of identical 308 Winchester .500 G1 BC bullets impact at 1000 yards with a 10 fps muzzle velocity extreme spread averaging 2600 fps out the muzzle at the same angle up from the horizontal?

What would the spread be if all bullets left at an angle that well compensated for the outer 80% of that drop (caused by the faster and slower muzzle velocities beyond SD) for each bullet?

Last edited by Bart B.; Yesterday at 10:39 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM   #30
hounddawg

Quote:
By adding mass at the muzzle, the turner slows the overall rate of bending in muzzle deflection. That causes a flat spot to be wider, so load error either in charge weight or due to change in temperature has less effect. In other words, it makes the sweet spot wider, which can be an advantage in some conditions
now that makes good sense, thanks

I knew a guy who was a very competitive rimfire and competed in 300 and 600 centerfire BR that made a rig with orings and neodymium magnets that he was experimenting with on one of his centerfire rifles. Unfortunately he passed a couple of years ago and I have no idea whether his idea worked. I have a nice selection of magnets and O rings, might do some playing to see what I can accomplish. I might be able to convince myself to have my next barrel threaded for a real tuner.

I am pretty sure I can hillbilly engineer something that will accomplish the same thing that one of those adjustable barrel dampening points like the one I linked to a couple of posts back. I might try an experiment with this summer. I checked a couple of rifles and a nylon zip tie is the perfect thickness to put between the barrel and the stock. Easily adjusted by loosening a action screw and using the depth rod on a caliper
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM   #31
Bart B.

Quote:
I am pretty sure I can hillbilly engineer something that will accomplish the same thing that one of those adjustable barrel dampening points like the one I linked to a couple of posts back. I might try an experiment with this summer. I checked a couple of rifles and a nylon zip tie is the perfect thickness to put between the barrel and the stock. Easily adjusted by loosening a action screw and using the depth rod on a caliper
Remington tried such a device on their 40X target rifles. Two angled screws at the fore end tip, one at 4:30 o'clock and one at 7:30. All it did was change the pressure on one or both touch points as the stock fore end bent from varying external forces. Only totally free floating barrels whip, wiggle and vibrate 100% consistently from shot to shot.

Last edited by Bart B.; Yesterday at 10:57 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM   #32
hounddawg

Quote:
Only totally free floating barrels whip, wiggle and vibrate 100% consistently from shot to shot.
so it is said, but then there is a lot of things that are said that are questionable. I like to find out for myself