The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 13, 2020, 01:03 PM   #1
Sawilson005

Need advice asap!

Which is best? New Ruger American in 270 no scope for $299.99 +tax and background check or a used Marlin XL7 270 with Nikon prosatff scope and 100 rounds of ammo for $350 out the door? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old February 13, 2020, 03:51 PM   #2
TJB101

That Marlin sounds sweet. What stock does it have on it? Any pics?
Old February 13, 2020, 04:17 PM   #3
jmr40

As a rule I like the Rugers a lot better. But I'm less impressed with the long action versions.

A lot depends on the scope. If it is a decent scope then money wise the Marlin is the winner. If it is a junk scope then maybe not.

Winston Churchill
Old February 13, 2020, 04:47 PM   #4
kilotanker22

That Marlin is a good deal, but I personally believe that the Ruger is a much better rifle.
The Nikon Prostaff scopes are decent for their price range. I would still buy the Ruger if it were me.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 13, 2020, 05:22 PM   #5
ligonierbill

Well, I don't have that Marlin model, but I do have a Remington 783 that is supposedly based on the XL7. (I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.) And I have a Ruger American. And I have a Nikon ProStaff somewhere in the safe.

Regards the Nikon, I never had a problem with it. It started on an AR and now resides on a rebarreled Mauser. I like it, but be aware that Nikon is going out of the riflescope business and is apparently not too shiny on their warranty support.

The Remington is a .223, fairly new, and shoots sub-MOA with the right load. It's a little heavy, but seems well put together.

The Ruger American is a .243, had it for a few years, and it shoots just as well. A little handier to carry in the field.

Neither rifle will win a beauty contest. Unless you just feel better about one or the other, go with the Marlin on price. With these rifles, you're buying a tool.
Old February 13, 2020, 05:26 PM   #6
Sawilson005

http://
Old February 13, 2020, 05:28 PM   #7
Sawilson005

That's the Marlin XL7. I have no experience with either tifle, be it the marlin or the Ruger American. Just trying to find out which is the better rifle/deal. Thanks all for any help you can give.
Old February 13, 2020, 05:35 PM   #8
Sawilson005

I'm not really worried about winning a beauty contest, just something that'll get the job done when needed. I have an ar, a Marlin 336w in 30-30 and a Savage Trophy Hunter xp in 308. Just wanted to get a good shooting 270 to add to the group.
Old February 13, 2020, 05:43 PM   #9
LeverGunFan

Are the 100 rounds factory or reloads? I would be suspicious of any reloads without knowing exactly what they contain. The Nikon scope wouldn't be my first choice, but you could always sell it if you wanted something else.
Old February 13, 2020, 05:48 PM   #10
Sawilson005

The guy that's got it listed says he got it used on trade and not sure of how many rounds through it but looks to be in excellent condition. All it says is 120 rounds of various ammo. I'm not in a big hurry, the Ruger American is on sale here for $299 and I can pick up a scope any time. Just wondering which was the better rifle?
Old February 13, 2020, 06:06 PM   #11
Sawilson005

Just out of curiosity, is the Savage Axis II 270 a decent rifle? Got a buddy that has one with a wood stock that his dad gave him that's trying to sell it. It's got a weaver 3x9x40 scope on it. He's wanting $360 for it. Didnt know how it stacked up against the other 2.
Old February 13, 2020, 06:42 PM   #12
kilotanker22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawilson005 View Post
Just out of curiosity, is the Savage Axis II 270 a decent rifle? Got a buddy that has one with a wood stock that his dad gave him that's trying to sell it. It's got a weaver 3x9x40 scope on it. He's wanting $360 for it. Didnt know how it stacked up against the other 2.
Just as good as the Ruger, probably better than the Marlin.

The Savage will have the best trigger out of the bunch. The Ruger will have the nicest action.

Also I would not accept unknown ammunition from someone who got it second hand. Hard telling where it has been or what it really even is
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old February 13, 2020, 07:52 PM   #13
Wyosmith

Well if you can buy both, shoot both and see which one you like best. Then sell the other. At those prices you are very likely to get your money back on the one you sell without much problem.
Old February 13, 2020, 08:22 PM   #14
jmhyer

Marlin for me. But I have an American and really like it.
Old February 13, 2020, 09:24 PM   #15
Don Fischer

Your only talking about $50! Go look at them and choose one!
Old February 14, 2020, 12:26 AM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Shot a Marlin XL 7 270 quite some time ago. I thought the rifle was pretty good in the accuracy dept although something about its stock bothered me. Just what? I don't recall. As far as which rifle should you sling-up and take home? I think the Ruger would be more appropriate. To be honest. If I were in you're shoes I rather buy a scope that appeals to me than chance some other fellows choice.
Old February 14, 2020, 01:50 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

MSRP on the Ruger American is $489.00.
The Marlin was discontinued but a scoped one runs about $300 on Gunbroker. If the 100 rounds of ammo is factory, that'd matter.
A Savage Axis is an entry level hunting rifle. A BNIB one with a scope(called an XP) has an MSRP of $415.00. Used they run about $250ish with a scope on Gunbroker.
Old February 14, 2020, 03:42 PM   #18
AgedWarrior

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawilson005 View Post
Personally I would go for the Axis II with wood furniture. The Ruger is a good rifle hiding in a poor stock (so is the Axis II in the Tupperware stocks), but the Axis II is a better trigger, and Savage makes a pretty fair rifle all in all. The Marlin is okay, but I would go for the Savage and upgrade the scope later. Just my opinion, of course.
Old February 14, 2020, 03:50 PM   #19
thegatman

Take the Ruger American. I redid the stock by putting Bondo in it. You Tube vid shows how. Makes it flex less. Leupold scope and bingo nice deer.
Old February 14, 2020, 05:46 PM   #20
Pathfinder45

Do you actually need either one of them? Do you already have a bolt-action rifle in the 270/30-'06 class? The only reason I can see to get either one is if you actually need such a rifle ASAP and your budget will simply not allow a better/nicer one. I get that you want a 270; it's a great caliber. My advice would be to save up your sheckels until you can afford a Winchester model 70 with real Walnut for a stock. But there are a lot of other nicer rifles out there too. I personally have no qualms about a 2nd-hand rifle if it's good; in fact I prefer the bargain that a used rifle can be.
Old February 16, 2020, 12:48 AM   #21
stagpanther

I'd jump on the axis II assuming it's in good shape and the choices you've listed. I have the ruger American in 270 and it's a very nice shooting rifle, but savages almost always shoot better in my experience in comparable priced budget rifles.
Old February 16, 2020, 10:26 AM   #22
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45 View Post
Do you actually need either one of them? Do you already have a bolt-action rifle in the 270/30-'06 class? The only reason I can see to get either one is if you actually need such a rifle ASAP and your budget will simply not allow a better/nicer one. I get that you want a 270; it's a great caliber. My advice would be to save up your sheckels until you can afford a Winchester model 70 with real Walnut for a stock. But there are a lot of other nicer rifles out there too. I personally have no qualms about a 2nd-hand rifle if it's good; in fact I prefer the bargain that a used rifle can be.
I must admit that right now, For hunting I like the economy rifles better than the high end ones.
Old February 16, 2020, 11:05 AM   #23
BigBL87

Between the 3, I'd favor the Axis but not for that price. I personally wouldn't pay that much for a used one even with a scope. If you could talk the price down a bit, maybe. I'm sure the wood stock increases the value so maybe it's not that bad. Looking around online, they're running $380ish brand new for the wood stock version w/scope, so I'd try to talk it down a little bit.

Between the other two, if you like that scope I'd go with the Marlin but if you are going to switch out the scope anyway I'd go with the American.