The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 15, 2012, 07:57 PM   #1
zbones6

Yugo 24/47 vs Yugo M48

Hey guys. I'm in the market for a Mauser. I don't want to pay Deutsche Mauser prices, but I'm fine with a Yugo. My question is, what is the mechanical difference between the 24/47 and the M48? I know the 24/47's were reworked Belgian rifles, but besides that, what's the difference? Is one better than the other? And what about prices? Thanks in advance.
Old September 15, 2012, 11:46 PM   #2
TX Hunter

The Actions are exactly the same, the parts will enterchange. The main difference will be the stock configuration, and the Bolt Handle, most 24 47s have streight bolt handles, the 48s have bent down handles.
I have a Yugo 24 47 with a bent down bolt handle that I bought from Samco Global Arms, and it was in near perfect shape when I got it, and is a great shooter. Either Rifle will serve you well, but I do recomend ordering a taller front sight for them, because they will both shoot about a foot high with the issue front sight.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:41 AM   #3
doofus47

Quote:
The Actions are exactly the same
you sure about that? Back when I was in my 8mm phase, I thought that I read that the M48s had an odd-sized intermediate action. That steered me away from the M48s.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:30 AM   #4
firewrench044

The M48 does have a shorter action ( about 1/4" shorter )
and that makes it dificult to find some things for them
( stocks, bolts and bolt parts at this time )

The 24/47 is a 98 Mauser, with its standard length action
( much easyer to get parts and accessorys ( custom or competion
stocks, bolts, scope mounts and other parts) )

I have 3-M48s (2-8MM and 1-308)
Old September 16, 2012, 07:59 AM   #5
madcratebuilder

WRONG!

Guys, we really need to check facts before posting answers. This is how incorrect info keeps living on, and on, and on.

The Yugo M1924 and M24/47 are BOTH intermediate length actions. The M48 and all it's variations are intermediate length actions.

Normally the 24/47 has a straight bolt handle and the M48's are a bent bolt handle.

The Yugo M98/48 (captured K98's) is a full length action. There is a quarter inch difference in length.

The Yugo M24/52C (VZ24) is a full length action.

Top two are intermediate length and the bottom is full length.
Two M48's and a M24/52C

Original M1924, a intermediate length Mauser action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbones6
I know the 24/47's were reworked Belgian rifles,
The first M1924's were made at FN, about 100,000, the remainder were made in K-SCS.

Here in the USA we tend to refere to Mauser action by length. It should be by "ring size". There are three basic Mauser rifle actions. Large ring, small ring and intermediate ring.

ETA: TX Hunter got it right.
Old September 16, 2012, 12:57 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

There is a reason. The Yugoslavs first bought FN Model 24's from Belgium, part of an arms buying relationship that also included FN Model 1922 pistols and Browning automatic rifles.

But FN had obtained the license for a slightly earlier Mauser that used a different breeching than that finalized as the Model 1898, and that is what they made as a commercial military called the Model 24. Those rifles were sold to a number of countries, including Yugoslavia. After WWII, the Model 24 rifles were upgraded and called the Model 24/47, the latter number being the year the upgrade was approved.

Yugoslavia also bought the machinery and tooling from FN so they could make the Model 24 rifles in-country. It is that tooling that was used in the immediate post-WWII period to manufacture the M48 which, naturally, copied the FN Model 24.

To confuse things further, 1924 was a banner year for national rearmament; every country seemed to want to upgrade is old weaponry to the new era of bolt action rifles, as exemplified by the new Mausers, which were considered the height of military small arms progress, notwithstanding that Germany had lost the war. The new nation of Czechoslovakia began manufacture of the VZ-24 using the standard Model 98 action. In Belgium, FN cranked up their production lines to turn out their own Model 24, and in Germany, Mauser got into the arms race later, but also called their commercial rifle the Model 24.

But I am puzzled about the "intermediate" ring size. The receiver ring of the "intermediate" 24/47 and 48 is the same size as that of the G/K 98.

Jim
Old September 16, 2012, 04:18 PM   #7
wpsdlrg

"Intermediate" does NOT refer to the ring size. It refers to the action LENGTH, specifically the trigger guard screw spacing. The "intermediate" actions are approx. 1/4" inch shorter than the full-length actions.

In the specific case of the Yugo M1924's, 24/47's, M48 series, etc......they are LARGE-ring / intermediate LENGTH actions.
Old September 16, 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am only going by what Madcratebuilder said. I would like more info on the ring sizes and how they relate to the action lengths.

Jim
Old September 17, 2012, 08:20 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpsdlrg
"Intermediate" does NOT refer to the ring size. It refers to the action LENGTH,
Sure it does. The intermediate ring is 35.8mm, the same as the large ring. It just uses a shorter action.

Large ring (35.8mm) models are standard length. The distance between the floor plate screws is 199mm. Large ring Mausers include the G98, K98, K98k VC24, Mex1912 and so on.

Small ring (33mm) floor plate screws are 193.5mm between centers. These include the Serb 1899, Swed 1894 and 1896 among others.

The intermediate ring (35.8) models have the same floor plate measurement as the small ring, 193.5mm. What sets it apart is it has a large ring diameter front ring, 35.8mm like the K98-G98 rifles.

Intermediate ring (length) rifles are the 1924's. FN and Yugo, the exception is the Czech vz24.

wpsdlrg is correct, there are only two receiver rings measurements, 35.8mm and 33mm.

Last edited by madcratebuilder; September 17, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
Old September 17, 2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Winchester_73

Quote:
wpsdlrg is correct, there are only two receiver rings measurements, 35.8mm and 33mm.
So then theres really only 2 ring sizes, large and small? Because the "intermediate ring" has a shorter action,but has the large rings? So its large ring?

Help me to understand
Old September 17, 2012, 06:39 PM   #11
wpsdlrg

"So then theres really only 2 ring sizes, large and small? Because the "intermediate ring" has a shorter action,but has the large rings? So its large ring? "

Yes, that is correct. As I said, "intermediate" really only refers to the action length. It is a misnomer that it has anything to do with ring size.

But then, my 25 years of experience with these rifles qualifies me to know absolutely nothing about them.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:24 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, MCB,

Please re-read what you wrote above. Your info is usually right on the money, but what you wrote is just confusing.

AFAIK: There are two Mauser receiver ring sizes, the small ring and the large ring. The former was used on pre-1898 Mausers and on the Kar 98a adopted during WWI. For lightness, that rifle, otherwise an 1898 model, uses a small receiver ring.*

All other Mauser 1898's (Gew. 98, K.98k, etc.) as well as copies (VZ-24) use the large ring. The action length, whether measured by the distance between guard screws, or some other way, is another issue.

It is a bit like judging a man's height by his hat size.

*After the war, so many were acquired by Turkey that they became known as the "small ring Turk" even though they were actually made in Germany.

Jim
Old September 18, 2012, 07:56 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

If you well read the published Mauser books you well read reference to the three ring sizes. You can call them anything you want. I just wrote what I read in published books.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:39 AM   #14
Winchester_73

Quote:
If you well read the published Mauser books you well read reference to the three ring sizes. You can call them anything you want. I just wrote what I read in published books
Well I understand that but by your own admission, there were only two measured sizes, which (2+2) also means there are only 2 ring types. Now of course, you could have various actions, such as an "intermediate action" as described in this thread, but to call it "intermediate ring" when the ring size is the same as the large, is pretty misleading/confusing/contrary. If you have 3 ring types (which are all differentiated by their measurement) then you should also have 3 different ring sizes.
Old September 21, 2012, 01:56 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

The two receiver ring diameters were 1.30" for the "small" ring and 1.40" for the "large" ring. There may have been a third size; Olson states that the receiver ring of the G.33/40 is 1.295" but that is close enough to 1.30 that the difference is more likely a matter of manufacturing tolerances than of a truly different size.

One point of confusion is that we usually associate the large ring with the 98 action, and the larger ring was part of the 98 design, to strengthen the receiver. But there were rifles which used the 98 design in other aspects but which used the small ring, usually as a weight-saving measure. The G.33/40 was one of those; the Kar 98a was another, as well as early military and several commercial models.

There are also variations in the length of the receiver ring, and several lengths of action, especially when commercial Mausers are taken into account. Stoeger listed 20 different Mauser Oberndorf actions, with 8 different magazine lengths. It is not indicated how many actual actions there were (as opposed to variations in receiver and magazine box machining), but Mauser, like most other gun companies of the time, would make what a good enough customer wanted.

Jim
Old September 22, 2012, 06:58 AM   #16
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK
There are also variations in the length of the receiver ring, and several lengths of action, especially when commercial Mausers are taken into account. Stoeger listed 20 different Mauser Oberndorf actions, with 8 different magazine lengths. It is not indicated how many actual actions there were (as opposed to variations in receiver and magazine box machining), but Mauser, like most other gun companies of the time, would make what a good enough customer wanted.
This is getting out in the tall weeds. The OP's thread is about the pre and post war2 military Mausers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester_73
If you have 3 ring types (which are all differentiated by their measurement) then you should also have 3 different ring sizes.
That's the fly in your ointment. There are "3 ring types" not "3 ring sizes". More than one single criteria can determines ring type.