The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 9, 2014, 01:34 AM   #1
chris in va

Odd happening at the 'range'

I have friends with some acreage. We shoot off their deck into a depression into the hillside at steel plates and various targets.

Scrounging up my brass I found one of my fired 45 LRN perfectly intact...right in front of the 'firing line'. No indications it ricocheted off anything. It wasn't a squib.

Ideas?
Old April 9, 2014, 06:24 AM   #2
Hal

Are there rifling marks on it?

Are your friends the "practical joke" type that might toss a bullet out when you weren't looking just to make you wonder "what the ....." ?
Old April 9, 2014, 09:57 AM   #3
PetahW

If the boolit has rifling marks on it, IMHO you should go buy a lottery ticket or three

If so, you got lucky that it didn't stick in the bbl, and cause damage to the gun (or yourself), when the next shot was fired.

Old April 9, 2014, 01:46 PM   #4
buck460XVR

Quote:
Scrounging up my brass I found one of my fired 45 LRN perfectly intact...right in front of the 'firing line'. No indications it ricocheted off anything. It wasn't a squib.

Only a coupla explanations. Most folks claim that a primer is capable of pushing a well lubricated lead bullet outta a barrel, but not by much. That in itself will not cycle a autoloader tho. You should have experienced a FTF or the action not locking back on the last round. If the bullet has a dent in the back(even ever so slight) it may have been stuck and shot out with the next round. But that too should have not cycled the firearm. Shooting into dirt sometimes can leave a bullet almost perfect. If you shot into snow this winter, it too will stop a bullet quite quickly and not leave a mark on it. Someone else may have found the unmarked round at the berm and brought it back by the deck. Does your buddy have kids?
Old April 9, 2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Pahoo

They will come back at you !!!

You did not mention the yardage but on short yardages, I have seen them, come back. The last time I experience this was when a fella next to me was shooting his .40 at a swinger. Don't know what they call them but it was a man's outline with a metal insert/internal swinger. When you hit the vital swinger, you knew it was a good hit. I started feeling something hitting my pant leg and the ground in front and to the side of me. Not once, but enough that I called it to there attention. Those that hit my leg, didn't have much steam. ..

Now then, I have seen warnings on some swingers that gave a minimum distance on placement from the shooter. ...

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 9, 2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old April 9, 2014, 04:13 PM   #6
g.willikers

But a ricochet or bounce back will deform the bullet.
His wasn't.
Lead bullets usually flatten out like a coin from hitting steel.
Maybe he will reply and say if there's rifling marks on it.
Old April 9, 2014, 08:27 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Did you do any shooting at that "range" in the winter? A snow bank will stop a bullet like the .45 ACP FMJ without leaving a mark on it. When the snow melts, there is your perfect bullet!

Jim
Old April 9, 2014, 11:19 PM   #8
DaleA

Perplexing. Anybody shoot one straight up?

The rifling on the bullet question will help.
Old April 10, 2014, 09:50 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Rifling on the slug will only tell us if it went through the barrel, or not. Nothing else.

Bullets, especially slow pistol bullets tend to bounce off hard objects. Shooting at steel is great fun, but be aware that bullets, or parts of one can come right back at you.

I have dug .45acp slugs out of old wood fenceposts in virtually perfect condition. Or with a very small flattened spot on the nose, and no other deformation other than rifling marks.

Lots of things are possible.
Old April 10, 2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Grant D

I fired a 41 cal. black powder derringer at a pie plate on a post at 25 feet, and it bounced back and hit me in the chest!

I might be little, but I'm hard to kill!! lol

(big bruise on my chest though)
Old April 10, 2014, 11:37 AM   #11
Hal

Quote:
Rifling on the slug will only tell us if it went through the barrel, or not. Nothing else
Yes - that's correct, but, an unfired bullet may have been in the range bag or a pocket and fallen out.
I guess the same would hold true of a fired bullet, but.....
Old April 10, 2014, 01:20 PM   #12
skizzums

ive had a perfectly intact bullet land right next to me when shooting at a paper target hanging on a tree, lots of other trees around it, somehow just perfectly bounced around those litttle trees to come right back to me

at first i thought maybe i just dropped a boolit or it came out somehow, until i picked it up and t was still warm, also no deformation, wierd and a lil scary
Old April 10, 2014, 01:47 PM   #13
wayneinFL

I've found bullets shot through tires lying on the floor of the range. Sometimes a low shot will hit the ground in front of a berm, go through a high spot and come out, and you'll find it right in front of a berm. Sometimes, a little erosion, and bullets will fall out of the berm. Or another shot breaks some dirt loose, and bullets come back out of the berm.

You might be surprised, depending on the type of soil, how shallow a handgun bullet might go.

And if a bullet hits something like tires or dirt, you won't see much damage. If it was shot through a tire, you might see a black scuff on it.

ETA: Just saw this: "...right in front of the 'firing line'." Sorry, thought it was further downrange. That is a little weird, assuming it's yours. I have seen bullets come back from downrange, but it''s pretty unusual, and usually involves steel. I'm chalking it up to "bullets do weird things".
Old April 10, 2014, 03:50 PM   #14
Dragline45

The only thing I can think of is if it was a swinging plate the plate on the back swing caught the bullet and knocked it back towards you.
Old April 10, 2014, 06:17 PM   #15
g.willikers

A new shooting game!
Bullet Badminton.
Old April 10, 2014, 11:28 PM   #16
chris in va

Yes, it had rifling on it and no deformation. Very weird.

We were shooting at a hay bale and a steel I beam.
Old April 11, 2014, 08:11 AM   #17
jmr40

FMJ bullets don't always deform. I've seen bullets recovered after firing that looked good enough to be reloaded and fired again.
Old April 11, 2014, 09:47 AM   #18
g.willikers

He said it was a LRN, not FMJ.
It would have deformed if it hit just about anything that would have caused return fire.
Sounds like a squib, whether it was obvious or not.
With lots of shooting going on, it's easy to miss it, sometimes.
Or maybe an AD that missed his shoes.
Gotta' watch those fast draw shots.
The idea is to make the other guy dance, not yourself.

Last edited by g.willikers; April 11, 2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old April 12, 2014, 07:44 AM   #19
Catfishman

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told not to shoot low velocity bullets (22lr out of a pistol, cowboy loads etc) at steel.

BTW - My opinion is that someone placed that bullet there.
Old April 12, 2014, 01:21 PM   #20
DPris
Member Emeritus

Low or high, just expect some backsplash if the steel isn't angled downward correctly.
I've taken most of a .38 lead slug in the lip from the bay next to the one I was standing in front of at one match.

Angling the steel so lead bounces down into the ground rather than back at you helps greatly, but there are no guarantees.
Denis
Old April 12, 2014, 01:26 PM   #21
Dragline45

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've been told not to shoot low velocity bullets (22lr out of a pistol, cowboy loads etc) at steel.
I have shot thousands of rounds of .22lr out of pistols at my 8" AR500 steel plate which is 3/8" of an inch thick and weighs 5.5lbs at distances as close as 20ft with no ill effect. It hangs on chains and even the .22lr knocks that thing back with plenty enough force to direct the rounds down to the ground. Never had a round come back at me, and even if it did I always wear eye protection so I am not worried.
Old April 12, 2014, 01:34 PM   #22
DPris
Member Emeritus

Besides the which, what do you think those low-velocity "cowboy" loads are built for?
Steel!
Denis
Old April 15, 2014, 01:43 PM   #23
Bart Noir

Long ago, in the range under the Spokane Arsenal (no longer exists) I was standing next to my Dad. We were facing the targets. He felt something tug at his pants, reached into his pocket, and found most of a warm lead bullet

It took 2 just-right bounces for that bullet to come from behind us and get caught by the edge of his pocket. I forgot to ask the shooter if he was good at billiards.

Bart Noir
Old April 15, 2014, 02:32 PM   #24
Dragline45

Bart I don't think anyone could duplicate that even if they spent a lifetime trying, pretty amazing.