The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 2, 2013, 06:32 PM   #26
reynolds357

When bedding with putty, you need to get close to the right amount and pre form it a bit. Torque the action to specs, wait a minute, do it again, wait a minute, do it again. so on and so forth until the same torque quits turning the action screws.
Old December 2, 2013, 11:59 PM   #27
QuarterHorse

Well all I can do now is wait. I have tape holding the action, used kiwi on the longer bolts I ground the heads off of like guide pins, and she's setting up as of four hours ago. We shall see what tomorrow brings.
Old December 3, 2013, 08:31 PM   #28
QuarterHorse

Well I got home and with a little elbow grease I got it out! It wasn't perfect on the rear lug, but, I'm going to run with it as there is hardly any more surface area I'm going to get bedded anyway.

Need to get 'er all cleaned up, scope back on, and get some hand loads dialed in!

BTW I did float the rear tang just a touch. Not sure if it'll matter or not, but, I did it anyway.