The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 08:53 AM   #1
bosco0633

sig p226r vs. enhanced elite Advice needed

Hello everyone,

I just put a deposit down on a new P226 enhanced elite. I have wanted a p226 since day 1. Eventually I will purchase a Glock 17 as well but my first firearm has to be a sig!

I have been shooting for the past 13 years as a LEO. I live in Canada so my firearm will be range only, not carry or work or HD (you are all very lucky south of the border)

I was eyeing the 226r and really like the look and feel. The problem was that after reading and over reading I have over analyzed and clouded my judgement.

With that said, I found the enhanced elite and put a deposit down on it. I like the SRT trigger and the Ergo grips for my smaller hand, however, the beaver tail is kind of ruining the aggressive aesthetics to me. Am I crazy???

I have googled 226r vs enhanced elite and have found no information to offer a comparison.

Maybe this is buyers remorse or maybe I have researched to much and confused myself. I am just looking for some feedback from personal use and opinions to help better my decision.

Thanks so much
Old January 16, 2013, 01:11 PM   #2
BarryLee

I have a P229 Enhanced Elite and love the gun and it is by far my best shooter.

The beaver tail looks strange on a SIG, but I kind of like it. I believe it helps me better handle the gun, but really that is probably just my perception. At the end of the day the beaver tail is probably mostly cosmetic, so don’t worry too much either way.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 16, 2013, 01:51 PM   #3
sigcurious

There are 3 main features that differentiate the current production 226Rs from the EEs, the SRT, the beavertail and the forward serrations. Current production 226Rs *should* have the ergo grip and short trigger(not to be confused with the SRT which consists of internal parts). Older stock of the 226R may not have these features. Also night sights are optional on the 226R, where as they are standard on the EE. That being said, if the beavertail really bothers you either aesthetically or functionally, you could always get a 226R and have the SRT kit installed. Not sure about in Canada, but down here it would run maybe $100-150 to have that done by a gunsmith or armorer.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:23 PM   #4
RamItOne

Short Reach Trigger and Short Reset Trigger
The first would make for more room if you were wearing gloves or just have really short fingers

The short reset trigger =
It rocks
Wouldn't buy a sig without it.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 16, 2013, 11:40 PM   #5
bosco0633

Thanks so much for the replies. Reading it back it seems so trivial worrying about the look of the beaver tail. The ergo grips and the srt seem to be the way to go for me.

I also like the m&p. looks like I may have to add a third to my list of must haves. I only wanted one!!

More comments welcomed I really appreciate the help everyone
Old January 17, 2013, 01:10 AM   #6
+1k ammo

Ha, only one - that is what I said many guns ago.

I have yet to get a Sig though and think you are doing good for first purchase. As long as the trigger is good I would not worry about the beaver tail. I am going to get an mk25 soon, after a smaller carry, but the 226 has always been on my list - i just should have put it first.

congrats.