The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 17, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
WheelGunRealGun

New vs Old Ithaca 37?

I want to get an Ithaca 37 Featherlight 12 gauge, and I'm willing to spend the money for a new one.

But are the new ones as good as the old? If I remember correctly Ithaca stopped making m37's for a while, and recently started again. Are the ones made today as well made and reliable as the ones from yesteryear?
Old July 18, 2012, 01:12 AM   #2
KnightofCydonia

The new ones are built better than the old ones, but still are built to be interchangeable. The materials and machining used for the new ones are stronger and better than of old. However, as a result of tighter tolerances and not hand-fitted parts, they are not as smooth as the earliest guns (1937-50s), and never will be.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3
WheelGunRealGun

Quote:
The new ones are built better than the old ones, but still are built to be interchangeable. The materials and machining used for the new ones are stronger and better than of old. However, as a result of tighter tolerances and not hand-fitted parts, they are not as smooth as the earliest guns (1937-50s), and never will be.

Really? That's interesting. How did you learn this? I'd like to find more info on this.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:24 AM   #4
oletymer

The new one I bought is just as smooth working as my old one. Everyone who has worked the action is amazed at how smooth the action is and these guys own or have owned the old ones.
Old July 18, 2012, 09:18 AM   #5
WheelGunRealGun

Quote:
The new one I bought is just as smooth working as my old one. Everyone who has worked the action is amazed at how smooth the action is and these guys own or have owned the old ones.

I know the new ones are smooth, I'm just talking about overall quality, longevity, reliability and durability. I'm wondering if the new ones aren't as well made as the old ones in these regards, similar to how, in my experience, pre-lock and pre-mim smith and wessons seem to be of better quality that current models.
Old July 18, 2012, 08:14 PM   #6
kozak6

As far as I understand, the new Ithacas don't have MIM or sintered parts.

I was under the impression that the parts are all milled steel, just by CNC machines instead of manually hand fit by craftsmen.

It's part of the reason why it's so expensive.

Pretty much all of the reviews I have seen have been very positive.