The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 8, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1
totaldla

Neck sizing the 30-30 - Pro's & Con's?

Anybody here have some thoughts on neck sizing for a levergun?
Old November 8, 2011, 05:42 PM   #2
farmerboy

I think it seals better and would have to make them more consistent. But that's after they're shot from only your rifle (fireformed from) if you get brass from elsewhere full lenth size and shoot before neck sizing
Old November 8, 2011, 05:53 PM   #3
PawPaw

Conventional wisdom says to full-length size for lever guns, pumps, and semi-autos. Some say that neck sizing only works for them. Others say that closely fitting the brass to the chamber and sizing only enough for reliable feeding works for them.

.30-30 brass is known for long life. I've got some that have probably been reloaded 10 times, and I can't ever remember throwing away a piece of .30-30 brass because of a split neck or incipient case separation.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 8, 2011, 06:22 PM   #4
wncchester

"Anybody here have some thoughts on neck sizing for a levergun?"

Been doing it for many years for a 336/.35 Rem; conventional 'wisdom' aside, it works great

I neck size with Lee's Collet Neck Sizers because they work necks the least amount possible AND leave necks as straight as possible for common ammo to be fired in factory chambers; that helps both accuracy and case life. Marlins and Winchesters are normally chambered for low pressure cartridges so the common problems with neck sizing is rarely a liability.

When using a conventional neck sizer there's very little difference in case life between FL and neck sizing. Most cases die from neck splits and, aside for the possible modest differences in individual dies and chambers, necks normally split just as fast with neck sizing as FL sizing.
Old November 8, 2011, 08:07 PM   #5
William T. Watts

Since 30/30 cases headspace on the rim I size only enough to set the shoulder back a couple of thousands so the round will chamber. As Guffy has suggested use a feeler gage between the shell holder and case head to limit setting the shoulder back no more than necessary to ensure reliable feeding. FWIW my sizing die is set .011" off the shell holder for my chamber.. William

Last edited by William T. Watts; November 8, 2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old November 9, 2011, 05:27 AM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
No Such Thing

Your question may be a moot point , as I've never seen or heard of a 30-30 neck sizing die . Has anyone else ever seen one ?
Old November 9, 2011, 06:52 AM   #7
VTRich

I know Redding makes standard neck sizing dies, as well as their S bushing neck sizing dies for 30-30. RCBS and Lee also make them.
Old November 9, 2011, 12:11 PM   #8
totaldla

Of the neck-sizing dies out there, is there a consensus on a "best"?
Old November 9, 2011, 12:40 PM   #9
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Whoda thunk it ? Neck dies for a 30-30 . You're right VTRich . I bet they don't sell many of them !
Old November 9, 2011, 12:53 PM   #10
VTRich

I've run accross some bolt action 30-30's once in a while, and Ruger had a run of them in their Number 1 not long ago. I actually have one of the Ruger #1's but have not handloaded for it yet. Hadn't even thought about neck sizing for it until reading this thread. I might have to give it a try!
Old November 9, 2011, 01:15 PM   #11
GeauxTide

Levers and autos don't have the leverage or the grip of a bolt action, so the cases should be minimum specs.
Old November 9, 2011, 01:29 PM   #12
William T. Watts

I should have pointed out a lever action doesn't have the camming power a bolt gun has so neck sizing isn't desirable, non the less I'm sure some folks will try neck sizing but eventually will return to full length sizing after they are unable to chamber a round! William
Old November 9, 2011, 01:38 PM   #13
brickeyee

Quote:
Since 30/30 cases headspace on the rim
The .30-30 can be adapted to headspace on the shoulder, and this is commonly done with some of the hotter .30-30 wildcats like the Herret.

Brass life will be longer with minimal shoulder bumping.
Old November 9, 2011, 02:28 PM   #14
hornetguy

I can't remember for sure, but it seems I read somewhere about the levergun actions being slightly more "springy" than a bolt gun. If that is the case, then I would urge against neck sizing.
There is a similar effect on the TC Contender actions.. there is enough "spring" in them, that when firing, the brass actually grows in length slightly, depending on the chamber pressure of the round you are firing. Neck sizing MIGHT work for one or maybe two firings, but difficulty in closing the action becomes noticeable rather quickly. Full length sizing is then required.
Mike Bellm wrote what is probably the definitive article on the Contender action stretching.
Old November 9, 2011, 02:34 PM   #15
hornetguy

Also... you can neck size a case with a regular full length die if you watch the progression down the neck as you adjust the depth of the press stroke.
Blackening the case neck in some fashion will allow you to see the amount of the neck that is being sized. You can actually size 90-95% of the neck without touching the shoulder, if you so desire. Or you can size to where you just gently "bump" the shoulder, to whatever degree you wish.

"neck sizing" dies are not absolutely necessary to achieve neck sizing without moving the shoulder.

Personally, I have had good results with Lee's collet neck sizing die. No lube on the cases is required, and it works as advertised.
Old November 9, 2011, 04:34 PM   #16
William T. Watts

The 30 Herrett was developed as a handgun cartridge, the cartridge is based on a shortened and reformed 30-30 Winchester case so we aren't talking apples and apples. I liked Hornetguy's reply too.. William
Old November 9, 2011, 04:41 PM   #17
jimbob86

Quote:
"neck sizing" dies are not absolutely necessary to achieve neck sizing without moving the shoulder.
..... true, in the same way that a good set of tweezers are not absolutely necessary to remove splinters from you fingers, either..... it can be done without them, but what a total PITA.....
Old November 9, 2011, 05:02 PM   #18
amamnn

Apparently there are some guys (chaps?) down under (Australia, NZ) who are shooting the .30-30 cartridge (presumably in some Aussie or Limey bolt gun) in point blank BR competitions. You'll see posts from them occasionally on Benchrest.com or 6mmbr.com. saying the .30-30 is the wallaby's knees. So far none of them have shown up on the match results/equipment lists I have seen for the international matches.

Maybe they are keeping up the market for neck dies for that cartridge.
Old November 9, 2011, 05:23 PM   #19
wncchester

"I've never seen or heard of a 30-30 neck sizing die. Has anyone else ever seen one ? "

Lee's collet neck sizer, and it's perhaps the best neck die ever made for factory rifles.
Old November 9, 2011, 05:55 PM   #20
farmerboy

RCBS P/N 14630. Yes i use them for my 30-30 and they work great, more accurate? Who knows. Like any other step we do. Does it help or not? Am going to do anything and everything i know to do that let it go at that, ain't gonna let a step here or there go to find out. But they do make them
Old November 9, 2011, 06:03 PM   #21
hornetguy

jimbob... it's really not that painful... just set up the die to the correct height, and size as normal. It's just a matter of setting the die high enough to stop just short of the shoulder. It's really usually only about 1/4" higher than the normal height for full length sizing.
The die usually makes contact down on the body of the case, but it doesn't have to ever touch the shoulder, unless you want it to.
Old November 9, 2011, 09:45 PM   #22
totaldla

Thanks everyone - I ordered a Lee Collet die to try.