The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old March 14, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Hard Ball

Survival is More Important Than Safety

In a real world gunfight things happen VERY rapidly. The slightest delay in drawing, firing and getting COM hits is likely to get you killed. Every aspect of of your equipment and shooting technique must reflect this point. Reject any "safety" tecnhnnuques that are very likely to get you killed. Beware of instructors who do not understand this.
Old March 14, 2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Deaf Smith

HB,

What is a "safety" technique from a range exactly? Cold range?
Old March 14, 2010, 03:14 PM   #3
old bear

What safety regulations?

Sir, I can't think of any range safety regulations that would hamper normal training, and I can't think of any safety regulations that should not be followed. Would you please give me some of what you are referring to.

Thanks
Old March 14, 2010, 04:19 PM   #4
Glenn Dee

And you know this... How?... Mr hardBall?
Old March 14, 2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Hard Ball

Surviving two close range gunfights. In each case a pistol against a submachine gun.
Old March 14, 2010, 04:23 PM   #6
sakeneko

How is "safety" not the same thing as "survival" in any situation where your life is in danger and you are defending yourself?
Old March 14, 2010, 04:43 PM   #7
TailGator

Like some others, I am trying unsuccessfully to figure out what you are referring to, Hard Ball. It seems that you are saying that certain safety techniques slow you down in self defense, but I can't think of what you mean. Examples and further elaboration would be much appreciated.
Old March 14, 2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Ben Towe

I think he's talking about holsters and etc. more than anything. Must say I agree on holsters. Don't like my gun lashed down.

I don't think anybody is gonna be too strict on safe gun handling I the middle of a gunfight anyway simply because of the stress.
Old March 14, 2010, 06:20 PM   #9
ClayInTx

I can think of one thing in training videos I’ve seen which I believe is a crock. That is the Weaver Stance.

The Weaver Stance has no place in self defense. If you need the accuracy of it then you are likely far enough away from the BG to get the hell out of Dodge, or do some fancy zig-zags whilst getting far enough away to get the hell out of Dodge.

The firing range and the C-Store at night are not the same thing, not even close.

Of course we’ll now have the comments that “you shouldn’t have been there”. I’m waiting until someone posts of a home invasion and someone chimes in with “you shouldn’t have been there.”
Old March 14, 2010, 06:37 PM   #10
Don P

Perhaps the OP will expand on his post so we may know what brought this advice to the surface.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 14, 2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Double Naught Spy

Yeah, I would hate to use any safety techniques. It would be better that I end up killing myself or some unintended person such as a loved one rather than letting some bad guy kill me.

What a bizarre drive-by followed up by a proclamation of prowess with absolutely no explanation as to what the heck he is talking about.
Old March 14, 2010, 10:29 PM   #12
pax

Closed.

Hard Ball, please PM me with a detailed explanation of what in the world you meant if you want to see this reopened. As it is, it certainly looks like trolling.

pax
Closed Thread