The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 11, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1
LordofWar

Got Mugged: Always Happens When Im Not Carrying

So two hours back I was on my way back home after dropping a relative. He was staying at a highly secure army area so I left my handguns at home. So after dropping him I was stuck in the middle of a traffic jam and was talking on the phone when I heard a loud bashing on both my right & left windows. (Mind you this is happening openly in the middle of a traffic jam)

So there were three guys with guns aimed at me. I dropped down the window and asked "what is it?" with the mobile still next to my ear. Just the mobile they said. I was covered from right left, front & rear and there were three guys with hammers down on their Tokaevs so good chance there was one in pipe as well and I wasnt carrying a firearm.

Alas, I had to part with my mobile phone and they walked away.

Im always with PSD or atleast two handguns and a SMG 24/7 but the day I had to be mugged was the day I wasnt carrying ANYTHING AT ALL.

Define Bad Luck!
Old February 11, 2010, 02:17 PM   #2
kayakersteve

Hmm

So what good would your guns have done you with three bad guys pointing guns at you. Nothing! Probably would have got you killed!
Old February 11, 2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Creeper

Considering the scenario, it's doubtful you'd have survived if you'd been carrying and put a weapon to use. In other words, they well and truly "had the drop on you".
Congrats for only losing your celly... instead of your life.

C
Old February 11, 2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Doc Intrepid

With 3 dudes pointing guns at you from both sides and the rear?

Even if you HAD a handgun, that's a no win situation...

Hand over the mobile!

You done good to survive... (if you'd had a gun they may have walked away with that too!)
Old February 11, 2010, 02:34 PM   #5
EMB135Driver

The thing will be a brick as soon as you report it stolen.....maybe they had to make a really important call.

This is a situation where having a gun would have been a bad thing...you might have succeeded in saving a cellphone, but more than likely you would have succeeded in getting yourself shot and killed (you will have a new, better phone in 12 hrs anyways)

30MM General Electric GAU-8A Avenger Cannon.....you don't want any of this pain :-)
Old February 11, 2010, 02:36 PM   #6
CelticWolf

+1 Doc...

"Your greatest weapon is on your shoulders"
Old February 11, 2010, 02:40 PM   #7
CelticWolf

And If you had a gun.. the best place for it is in a SmartCarry type holster. Gun falls right in your "tool shed"
And you usually don't find too many robbers rummaging through another guys "tool shed" looking for "nuts and bolts"
Old February 11, 2010, 02:48 PM   #8
retiredcoasty

Even if you were the fastest gun in the west and you could get your gun out, and you were capable of hitting two of them within half a second from when you started for your gun, the third guy would have you dead to rights.

Maybe you should have gone to a pay phone and call your cell phone. When they answered, you can curse them out and call them any name you wanted! At least that provides a little satisfaction!
Old February 11, 2010, 02:49 PM   #9
Cremon

+1 retiredcoasty

I am busting up over here
Old February 11, 2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Uncle Ben

I agree with every other person so far that said a gun would have done you no good in this situation. There is no way you would have had time to draw it, and you were greatly out-numbered and in a very vulnerable position. You did nothing wrong, and I'm very glad for you that you only lost your phone and nothing else.

If you did have your gun with you, good sense would have told you not to draw it...they would have fired before you even had your sites on anything.
Old February 11, 2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Croz

You made it out safe, from a very scary situation. If you had a gun and they got the drop on you like that, you still would have been better off just handing things over.

Glad to hear you're OK.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:02 PM   #12
grubbylabs

You can't possibly expect me to eat and drink while I read this, it is ruining my key board. Its not funny that your stuff was taken at gun point but the part about not looking for nuts and bolts in your tool shed has every one looking at me like funny as I am laughing at my computer.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:28 PM   #13
Alan Duke

Since you are in Pakistan, do you think they could poosbly be using it for a terrorist act. Don't know, but it could be possible. Might not hurt to let the authorities know the possibility.
Old February 11, 2010, 03:43 PM   #14
Scrapperz

It was a blessing you we're unarmed in this scenario. IMO God Bless
Old February 11, 2010, 04:07 PM   #15
KLRANGL

OP, if you were as calm and collected as it sounded in your post, then good job to you. Remembering the little details with real weapons pointed at you isn't the easiest thing...
Old February 11, 2010, 04:14 PM   #16
KCabbage

Looks like someone needs to improve on their situational awareness

Glad your okay Too bad your phone didn't have a self destruct feature on it.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:16 PM   #17
scorpiusdeus

SEE!! This is why I never go to Pakistan anymore.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:21 PM   #18
KAK

Some PDA phones can be tracked. So.... Go home and get your deer rifle and your AR.

Track your phone

Wait for them

AND TAKE IT BACK FORCEFULLY!!

No I think you could have it tracked by authorities though.
Old February 11, 2010, 04:36 PM   #19
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
So two hours back I was on my way back home after dropping a relative. He was staying at a highly secure army area so I left my handguns at home. So after dropping him I was stuck in the middle of a traffic jam and was talking on the phone when I heard a loud bashing on both my right & left windows. (Mind you this is happening openly in the middle of a traffic jam)
I think I see where your problem was. You were an easy target and they knew it.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 11, 2010, 04:40 PM   #20
LordofWar

Even though I was pretty calm & collected, they were FAR calmer & collected than I was. They were in the middle of the road with people all around them. They came in on foot & left on foot not running but WALKING with their Toks in their hands & disppeared in the small back alleys entering the slum area that was adjacent the road.

Even if I had my gun, obviously any kind of retaliation while they were standing with their Toks pointed at me would have been downright suicidal but I saw sooo many window of opportnities while they took my mobile and while they walked away. If I had a weapon they wouldve been sitting ducks.

1. While they had their guns pointed at me they were looking all around and probably looked at me only when they made a debut.

2. When they walked away hey had their back towards me & they didnt even looked back.

3. They were carrying Darra Toks (Darra = tribal areas where guns are using primitive methods)as two of them were carrying high capacity Toks that are made in the tribal areas which have a 99% if not 100% chance of a malfunction after a round or two so I kind of had an edge there.

4. I'm hauntingly good at IPSC style shooting so three guys in less than two seconds hardly 3 inches apart from each other with their backs towards me would have been a piece of cake.

But anyway, I had the potential to accomplish my objectives in view of points 1-4 but the reality is I was'nt carrying jack [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] at that point in time.

KCabbage, The guys were Pashtuns/Afghans ages 25-27 so good chance they could use the phone or my SIM card anywhere but I called in the police using a spare phone in my dash and they were there in 1 minute 20 seconds, scanned the area with me and lodged a complaint. The IMEI of the phone has been reported to the cellualar companies and the SIM is now blocked. The incident was also reported on 4 major news channels so I'm safe.

scorpiusdeus, My brother & cousin were mugged & my cousin stabbed by 5 latin guys at an area called Granitebay in California right in front of our house but they still go there every summer. Point is anything can happen to you anywhere.

Last edited by LordofWar; February 11, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old February 11, 2010, 05:34 PM   #21
Nnobby45

Quote:
Maybe you should have gone to a pay phone and call your cell phone. When they answered, you can curse them out and call them any name you wanted! At least that provides a little satisfaction!
I've said it for some time--a cell phone destruct feature activated with special dial code.

That's a lot of well armed Bubbas to take down one cell phone with no interest in money, credit cards, watch, etc.
Old February 11, 2010, 05:39 PM   #22
LordofWar

I think it was more of a driveby thing. They happened to see me stuck in a traffic jam, snuggled comfortably in my seat and totally indulged with the caller so yeah Lets do it they said. It was too crowded for them to stay there for long anyway.
Old February 11, 2010, 05:40 PM   #23
Glenn Dee

Hmmmm...

Three guys with guns?... and all they stole was a cell phone?.... wow. Tokerevs?...wow.
Old February 11, 2010, 05:49 PM   #24
LordofWar

Yep Lucky me I guess.

It happened like this:

ME (on the phone): Blablabla
BASH BASH on the window
ME: Kiya hay? (What is it?)
BG: Yeh! (This!) *points at the cell phone @ my ear*

Takes cell phone from my hand & walks away.

Tokarev is to Pakistan as 1911 is to USA.
Old February 11, 2010, 05:59 PM   #25
Nickel Plated

Just out of curiosity, but there are no consequences for shooting a person in the back in Pakistan? That's mighty nice of them.

And yes, stuff like this always seems to happen the one day you aren't packing. I used to carry a knife with me in my pocket, and I would always get robbed or get into a fight the one day I decided to leave it at home. Something's not right about that.