The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 13, 2009, 12:10 AM   #1
croc4

Dan Wesson help

I have a second hand Stainless Dan Wesson .357 that I picked up many years ago, it was a good deal so could'nt pass it up. Anyway around the firing pin hole there is a small divet, its not very big or deep, but when fired the primers show a noticable raised bump. Is there something that can fill or correct this? without replacing the frame?

Croc4
Old January 13, 2009, 04:27 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Is the expanding primer hanging up the cylinder? If there is no problem except the primer appearance, I wouldn't worry about it. The frame might be repaired, possibly by installing a firing pin bushing, but it is not a job for the average gunsmith (IMHO). I would call DW and see if they will take a look at the gun even though it was made by the old company. If not, someone like cylinder and slide (www.cylinder-slide.com) might be willing to do the job.

Jim
Old January 13, 2009, 10:11 PM   #3
croc4

Thanks Jim,

So far it has not caused a problem, but I'm anticipating at some point it might.

Croc4
Old January 14, 2009, 09:40 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

Dan Wesson

Sir;
As Jim says, if it doesn't bind anything up I'd not worry about it.
However, there is something I'd like to mention.
If you're using this revolver for combat, and you find yourself ascending a staircase be sure to cock the hammer before doing that. Dan Wesson revolvers, due to the cylinder frame set up will, on some case heads, "hang up" when cocking the revolver in the up position (or DA it) making a really bad situation. Always test your ammo and make sure it will cycle smoothly when held up and the cases slide back a tiny bit. I've had this happen to me on staircases as you're ascending after a bad guy or a house clearing (which is tantamount to suicide) and didn't like it! It could have just been my pistol but I's still check it!
Also, and very important; after you fire several rounds plinking take the shroud wrench (bbl too) and while the bbl is hot tighten the nut tight. Dan Wessons with the barrel nut will get loose when firing.
Harry B.

Last edited by Harry Bonar; January 14, 2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: text
Old January 17, 2009, 02:55 AM   #5
croc4

Thanks Harry

Very wise advice, It will only be a range gun, I'm in cali after all. But I respect your advice.

Croc4
Old January 21, 2009, 09:51 AM   #6
jbaldwin

You can always contact Dan Wesson directly to see what they say about it. Also you might want to visit the Dan Wesson Forum as well lots of guys with experience with these revolvers on there.