The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 24, 1999, 09:12 AM   #1
Shotgun

Please move the General Discussion and Legal and Political forums to the top of the Forums list, as it was before. I think it would be a lot easier to use that way.

Thank you.
Old September 25, 1999, 07:46 PM   #2
Rich Lucibella
Staff

I tend to agree. Input requested from other Members.
Rich
Old September 25, 1999, 10:32 PM   #3
[email protected]
Wise Guy

I say leave it where it is. Keeps the posts more on topic now... but that's just me.

You could always make the first page display the categories only, turning them into links.

We're going to do that soon with BladeForums.com, it will get rid of a lot of the verticl scroll...

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Old September 26, 1999, 05:03 AM   #4
Hal

Yep. I liked it better the way it was, but I'm getting used to the way it is. Whatever you do, keep it consistant. The only thing some of us have shorter than our attention span is our,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,gun fund

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Old September 26, 1999, 09:39 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I kind of like it the way it is but I'll go with the flow. As Spark said, it tends to make posters think about where to post rather than just posting in the first forum they see.
Old September 26, 1999, 10:16 AM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Frankly, Rich, I'm surprised you agreed so quickly. I thought the original reason for the change was to emphasize that TFL is primarily a forum for the discussion of firearms with the secondary purpose to have a "cracker barrel" for all interested folks to talk about the gun world and all the many, many facets of it, including, shudder, conspiracies.

I don't see how changing the forum order is going to change the degree of difficulty in navigating around the forum. It might make it a little easier for one group, but, by the same token it will make it more difficult for another group.

But, what kind of difficulty are we talking about? One additional keystroke (page down) or one mouse action? If these are the definitions of difficult, I find it hard to believe that everyone wants hi-cap magazines. After all, it is very difficult to get that last round in the mag, let's just leave it out.

I think I just spent more time writing this post than the total amount of time it will take me to get to the General or Legal forums each time I log on for the next couple of years. That is, assuming that's where I want to go first, which it isn't.
Old September 28, 1999, 04:53 AM   #7
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Lets go ahead and reshuffle the deck...
Change can be a good thing.
Lets have us moderators remember to keep things on an even keel.

------------------
Not all Liberals are annoying... Some are Dead.
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Old September 29, 1999, 07:36 AM   #8
Long Path

I tend to agree, too, but... no!

Heck, bury the General Discussion Forum Deeper, still-- there's darned little going on in the For Sale forums! General Discussion is a trap. (Which I regularly find myself caught in...) I found myself visiting other forums more after it was moved. It kind of irritated me at first, but as I'm sliding down, fighting my $.50 mouse the whole time, I think, "Ah, what the heck-- let's see what's in Gunsmithing, today." And I pick up some very enlightening stuff that otherwise would have passed me by.

Less hobnob; more gun stuff! (Sheeyeah! Like I'm not the worst hobnobber of them all... )

Me own tuppance.

L.P.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Old September 29, 1999, 10:13 AM   #9
Mendocino

I vote for Legal and Political on top.

Regards

------------------
It is far better to dare mighty things, though riddled with failure, than to live in the dull grey of mediocrity.
Old September 29, 1999, 11:52 AM   #10
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

yeah, while i have enjoyed reading some of the political/legal posts... and submitting to them... there has been a lot of big brother in blackheloicopter/UN troops/Vince Foster Did it kinda stuff as well. That stuff belongs more on the Art Bell show than here.

Re-shuffling the content won't make much difference, but i think keeping the GUN stuff at the top is important.

Dr.Rob

Old September 29, 1999, 10:00 PM   #11
Grayfox

When the change was first made, I was one of the folks who griped about putting it back.
I have come to see the error of my ways. I start at the top and work my way down. I find I'm spending more time in the specific gun forums. I still hit General Discussion pretty regularly, but I'm spending much less time in Legal and Political. And that has done wonders for my blood pressure.
Leave it like it is.
Old September 29, 1999, 10:26 PM   #12
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Guys-
Thanks for the input. We're not ignoring this thread. We're just monitoring the input. Keep it coming.
Rich
Old September 30, 1999, 11:06 AM   #13
DC
Moderator Emeritus

Even though I have less time these days, I'd say keep it as is. By skimming past forums, I've stopped and read in forums I'd never visited before.
As is promotes more exposure to all forums.

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Old September 30, 1999, 12:36 PM   #14
El Chimango Pete

Moderators preference? you guys do all the work.

But personally, gun stuff first - keep it as it is, as a reminder not ot stray out too far off topic -

Two cents of a peso's worth - Peter Knight
Old September 30, 1999, 06:38 PM   #15
Jedi Oomodo

I say leave it like it is. I know where the Forums are, and if I want to post, I know where to go and how to get there. If I want political discussion, I go there. If ever I need a firearm's history ( I haven't, to date) I will go to Harley Nolden's forum. When I want to talk pistols (rare, but it happens), where it is is irrelevant. I don't have such a short attention span that the order
Old September 30, 1999, 07:00 PM   #16
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

I like it like this.., like it is. But it's no big deal.
Old October 13, 1999, 09:52 PM   #17
deanf

I would suggest ordering the forums by their relative popularity. So, General would come first, followed by Handguns/Pistolcraft, then Legal/Political, and so on.

This is not to say the order should change every time the actual count of messages would change the order. It seems that the order of populatiry is pretty constant, and the order should be set based on that, and then left alone.

Also, I suggest eliminating the group headings (Hogan's Alley, The Hide, etc.) They do not serve me, and they tend to clutter the screen.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789
Old October 13, 1999, 10:46 PM   #18
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Dean-
Post number reflects "appeal", not priority. TFL was never designed to be the "largest" firearms discussion on the Web....just the best.

Point well taken. However, I've seen no overwhelming reason to change the order, based on the responses here.
Rich Lucibella
Old October 16, 1999, 01:25 PM   #19

Change is good, but so is stability.

I'm not really put-out by the 1.5 seconds it takes me to scroll down the list. Anyone that is, probably has too much to do to be sitting at a computer keyboard anyway...