The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2006, 02:35 PM   #1
BigJakeJ1s

Differences in full length sizer dies?

I asked this in another thread, but it was drowned out in an argument over FL vs neck sizing, which I DO NOT WANT TO REPEAT HERE!!!

Please pardon my ignorance in this, but what is the difference between the Forster Benchrest FL sizer, and the RCBS Competition FL sizer? They both have the raised expander ball, but does the RCBS competition die not raise it as far or far enough?

If you deprime separately with a universal depriming die (i.e. prior to tumbling, etc.), can you raise the expander ball on most FL dies to accomplish the same thing?

Just curious...

Andy
Old August 6, 2006, 02:57 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I believe you can raise the decapping assembly on the RCBS. I don't have a Forster to compare it to. You might also want to look at Lee's FL die? They have an expander with a special shape designed to insure the neck cannot be pulled into expanding off-axis with the rest of the case. The same thing puting the expander near the neck part of the die is intended to do. Also, their FL dies are honed, so their roundness is essentially perfect. Lee is inexpensive, but innovative. The only downside is that unlike a carbide expander ball, you will have to use inside neck lube with it.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old August 6, 2006, 07:04 PM   #3
amamnn

Besides the proprietary expander and polishing the fact that you can adjust it to your preference in relation to the neck, use the die without it and the decapper, I believe the Forster might be cheaper. You can get more info at Forster's website.
If you're loading for general use, the Lee is as good as anything RCBS makes, IMHO. Since they changed the Expander design, the Lee dies are better than they used to be but still inexpensive.
I only use the Forsters for my two benchrest rifles. Mostly for the rest, I use Lee.
Sorry about the noise on the other thread.
Old August 7, 2006, 05:42 PM   #4
flashhole

FWIW Hornady has an eliptical expander to reduce the possibility of runout when bringing the expander back up through the neck. It is a slick idea (no pun intended) but still requires lube. Redding dies have the optional carbide expander button that "eliminates" the need for lube but the shape leaves something to be desired. For as much money as they charge for the stupid button you'd think they could have made it a better shape. Herter's dies are the classic button that require lube for best results. I always use Imperial Sizing Wax and never notice a big difference in any of them.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old August 12, 2006, 07:59 AM   #5
MADISON

FL & NS dies

Special NECK SIZING DIES
I E-Mailed RCBS on December 12, 2004 and received the following response on December 15, 2004.

From an old #8 Speer Reloading Manual. You and other equipment manufacturers sell special NECK SIZING dies. Does this still apply to your equipment?

Neck Sizing is the term applied to the process of sizing only the neck of a case, with a special die which doesn’t touch the shoulder or body of the case. Neck sizing does eliminate excessive working of the case shoulder and body but, also, may size the neck off-center and leave the body of the case too large to chamber. A better way to reduce excessive working of the case body and shoulder metal is to use a full length sizing die but, use it so it only sizes partially. To do this, the full length sizing die is backed out of the tool so that the shoulder is not touched by the die. This preserves the important head and shoulder dimension and still sizes the neck normally. The body of the case centers the neck in the die and is sized enough to make chambering fairly easy in a bolt action.
Back the die off at least 1/16th of an inch [About one complete turn.]
Many shooters adjust their dies so that only half of the neck is sized. This leaves enough tension to hold the bullet securely for target or varment shooting

The RCBS “Ask the Expert Forum’s response was:
Yes, the necksizers only size the neck of the cases. And yes, there can be run-out after necksizing as there is nothing to support the base of the case - it just sizes the neck. AS FOR PARTIAL SIZING -- Many of our customers choose to do this - but, it is trial and error and sometimes the chamber v.s. die fit does not allow the reloader to partial size - they will not chamber afterwards.