The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 10, 1998, 11:50 AM   #1
Mac Scott

This seems as good a subject as any to begin a debate on this Forum. After all, I can't think of another gun out there that has as many parts, both good and bad, available for it as does the 1911.

What are your experiences with aftermarket parts? What've you found that works well in your particular application, and what has turned out to be a horrid waste of money?

And, while on the subject, how many are familiar with the SM&A-coined acronym "BOPOS?" (grin)

----Mac
Old October 10, 1998, 05:16 PM   #2
Donna

I can't remember the name of the trigger but I love them, I have them on both of my .45's and if I were to get another .45 one of the first things I would do is put on the (name is on the tip of my tongue someone help me here) same black skeletized plastic trigger.
The alluminun triggers never fail at cutting into my finger when I shoot for any length of time. I was shooting someone's gun last week and it wasn't long before I couldn't shoot his gun anymore because my trigger finger was so sore. The gun's owner said maybe I had my finger in wrong, no matter how I repositioned my finger it got sore. So I realized that it must be a gender thing. Women have softer skin and men's skin is actually tougher. If there are any other women out there who have had this problem I would be curious. Its the alluminum triggers with the small groves that are the culprit. I like the other trigger for the look, feel, function, etc. They're great.

Old October 10, 1998, 09:30 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Donna-
It's OK now. I deleted the duplicates. You've seen this movie before with this software!(g). It wasn't your fault. We were working on a problem with the files when you posted.

Mac-
Sorry. We lost your reply. But I think your response to Donna's post is worth repeating, if you have the time.
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 10-10-98).]
Old October 10, 1998, 10:10 PM   #4
Donna

Rich,
Thanks for doing that. I don't know what could have happened.
Old October 11, 1998, 09:52 PM   #5

Donna,

I agree, I have the same wonderful trigger on my Officers Model. Much better feel, especially after running thru a few boxes at the range. I'm embarrassed to say, that I didn't ask the 'smith the brand, just gave him money and a somber request to make the %#@**&^ Colt work right and shoot straight.
Old October 12, 1998, 09:28 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Both Videcki and Chip McCormick make "plastic" triggers, though I believe they are carbon fiber actually.
Old October 12, 1998, 09:50 AM   #7
Donna

Thanks Fal, I thought it was a Chip McCormick, You are probably right about them being carbon fiber, I don't know the technical name and plastic seemed to be the best way to describe the trigger,

Mykl on my second gun I kind of did what you did I showed the Smith the gun and said, give me the same trigger. I think he was out of Chip MCCormick. So I don't know the brand, just that its the same.
Old October 12, 1998, 09:10 PM   #8
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I build custom 1911s and try to keep the prices down for my customers. Some of the parts I use as 'standard' are Clark b'tail safeties, McCormick and Nowlin safety locks, Wilson Sears, Masen Hammers, McCormick and Videki triggers, Wilson guide rods with group grippers, WCPI Match Bushings, MGW fixed sights, Bo-mar adjustable sights, Wilson oversize sear and hammer pins, Hogue and Ahrend Grips. All have proven themselves to either make the 1911 more accurate or more comfortable to shoot. I can without exception recommend them all. (Of course with names like those, who couldn't?) George
Old October 13, 1998, 12:39 AM   #9
Mac Scott

Welcome aboard, George. Thanks for checking in and giving us your input.

Regards,

----Mac
Old October 15, 1998, 11:13 AM   #10
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Both of my 1911s wear Nowlin Action Kits. They helped substancially. I've put them in some friends guns also. I've had a Dwyer Group Gripper full length guide rod in one gun for about two years now and I wouldn't change back for anything. I've got another waiting to go in my other gun. I also have several Ed Brown parts in each gun. I especially like his ambi tactical safeties as they are the best fitting safeties I've tried. Being left handed they seem to fit me better.
Old October 17, 1998, 08:17 PM   #11
Doc

I have had a couple 1911 models, one is a Caspian/Wilson. The Wilson hammer and sear were fine, but not quite like JC's breaking glass. I installed Teddy Jocabson's hammer, sear and disconnector and couldn't want a better setup.
Old January 30, 2005, 04:41 PM   #12
Harry Bonar

re-sights

Shooters:
Listen to George!
Old January 30, 2005, 11:06 PM   #13
mikikanazawa

I bought a Wilson Combat ambidextrous safety for one of my 1911s. The original was MIM and I broke it during reassembly.

The Wilson was CRAP. Also MIM and was very poorly made. One of the "wings" was higher than the other when assembled on the gun too.
Old January 31, 2005, 02:23 PM   #14
cntryboy1289

use the old stuff

I learned the hard way that most of the stuff on the market for sale these days aren't up to the original specs. I learned from one of the best, his name is Forrest Davis. I bought a bunch of new parts and went to him with them. I ended up returning all of them but one. The one I kept was the extended safety. He uses match stuff from when he was in the Air Force and worked on the pistol team's pistols. I wish I could buy all of his supply up for sure.
Old February 2, 2005, 12:21 AM   #15
Dave Sample

We use the best aftermarket parts we can get regardless of price. The triggers Donna referred to could be STI or CMC. CMC Triggers used to be Carbon Fiber but have been aluminum for years. I just had a long talk with Chip at the Show and he has changed to a new supplier and doesn't have any yet. Maybe in two or three weeks. The sharps should have been taken of the trigger. EAGLE'S LAW: "What's Cheap is Expensive."