The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 8, 2001, 06:27 PM   #1
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

Keeping shotguns at ready for home defense

Hi, all,

What's the best way to keep a shotgun at the ready for home defense?

Thanks,
- pdmoderator
Old December 8, 2001, 06:52 PM   #2
cbjessee@NH

Depends on who else might be in your home (kids, spouse, etc.). My latest attempt will be a GunClamp (www.gunclamp.com), distributed by Hoppes in the USA. They tell me it will take a shotgun with side saddle, although I'm going to add another wall bracket to prevent the slide from being racked while it's locked down - I don't want anyone to be able to chamber and fire by racking the slide and jamming the trigger lock against the trigger, even if its just a hole in the ceiling.

Mossberg has another good wall mount, but it won't take a shotgun with side saddle.

Best option appears to be a RifleLocker (www.gunlocker.com), but I'm looking for alternatives while I save up that $500.

BRET
Old December 8, 2001, 07:08 PM   #3
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

ALLLLLLLLMOST what I had in mind... I was hoping for something with a Simplex lock, or similar, so I wouldn't have to fuss with keys.

- pdmoderator
Old December 9, 2001, 05:07 AM   #4
M Gruber

I don't have kids....just guns, so I have the 1187 loaded (minus one) and the safe door open. Also have .45 in gunvault bedside.

The best part is the several motion sensors outside and in the house which activate certain small lights built into the side of my dresser. Chimes when any lit. If someone was walking the exterior of my home I'd know give or take 30 ft exactually where they are.

Last year was woken by the chime, "watched" something go through the side yard, around and into the garage via the back door. 1187 and I, with slug in hand, flanked the garage and light up (Surefire) the neighbors kid "looking for beer."
Scared the living **** out of him and sent him on his way to spread the word about the crazy bastard who lives here!

Mike

PS My car keys are on the safe door when I leave it open at night. Only once in 6 years have I got out to my driveway and realized the safe was left open.
Old December 9, 2001, 07:55 AM   #5
cbjessee@NH

Just found http://www.knoxx.com/product/BreechLok.htm - looks interesting. If you can keep a key on your dog tags chain, your all set. I've ordered one and will report back.
BRET
Old December 9, 2001, 10:48 AM   #6
dick w. holliday

keep my 590 under the couch with empty chamber-mag full and hammer down so all i have to do is shuck and shoot.....not recommended for houses with kids......Dick
Old December 9, 2001, 11:02 AM   #7
AKA

Shotgun Ready Case

I use a V-Line case with a Simplex lock. This just keeps people out unless they have tools or they can carry it off. It can be bolted down or to the wall.

If laid flat you could have a shotgun, handgun and carbine ready to at a touch.

I think I paid about $200.00 for mine a few years back.
Old December 9, 2001, 11:53 AM   #8
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

To all --

Thanks for your help!

If I do decide to add a shotgun, I think the V-Line cabinets or similar so far look like the best option for me.

I don't have kids but we occasionally get kids in the house. Plus if the house was to be broken into while I'm out, I would prefer not to have any firearms stolen. (Please take the valuable yard sale items instead. )

Shoot straight,
- pdmoderator
Old December 9, 2001, 01:45 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

An 870 or other good pump can be kept "Cruiser Ready". This is empty chamber, full mag, slide locked closed, safety on. It takes several separate actions to make this fire, actions that are hard for the untrained to do quickly. Doubt that last? Make sure your shotgun is empty, set it up cruiser ready, and see how long it takes a total novice to drop the hammer.

Cognescenti, OTOH, can make it go boom is a twinkling.

As for locks, safes, clamps, etc, there's some good ones out there, but each household has to decide what will be best for their particular situation.

Since I'm over 6', placing it over a closet door on the inside worked well when the kids were small.

We have to walk a very fine line on this. Providing absolute safety with quick access is one tough job. And, like other emergency equipment, we may need it right now.
Old December 9, 2001, 05:03 PM   #10
Coronach

Quote:
I don't have kids but we occasionally get kids in the house. Plus if the house was to be broken into while I'm out, I would prefer not to have any firearms stolen.
Or worse, you could come home unexpectedly and find the guy still in the house, holding your gun. This has happened.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old December 9, 2001, 08:53 PM   #11
mjn

I said this on a similar thread a few days ago, but a padlock passed through the ejection and loading ports will ensure that the gun can't be fired because the action can't close. If you like, use it to lock the gun to an eyebolt.
Old December 10, 2001, 11:47 AM   #12
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

V-line cabinets

On second thought, I mailed the V-line folks and asked how thick the steel was that they used. The answer: 16 gauge. That's about 0.055 inches.

Anyone else see the movie "Breaking In" where the thief pulled a wall safe out of the wall and chopped the back open with a hatchet?

In contrast, the R&D Enterprises handgun box uses 3/16" steel (0.188 inches). I think that's pretty much hatchet-proof.

- pdmoderator
Old December 12, 2001, 03:46 PM   #13
CMichael

I have no children yet.

I have my Mossberg Persuader in the closet.

The chamber is empty, the magazine is full, the trigger lock is on, and I hide the key. I hide it so the gun can't be used against me.

Michael