The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2016, 11:32 PM   #1
Wendyj

Rcbs Chargemaster Combo

Watching some videos of this unit it seems to fit what I want but it's reviews are about 50-50 for a $300.00 unit. Does anyone have and use one and is it worth it? I single load everything and weighing powder is slowest part for me . I usually load about 200 pistol cases a week and about the same in 6 rifles.
Old October 29, 2016, 11:47 PM   #2
nhyrum

I learned to reload on one, and they are very nice. I always took the pan off and double checked the charge and didn't work the press while it was working. I for sure plan on getting one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old October 30, 2016, 11:39 AM   #3
Reloadron

The RCBS ChargeMaster is far from an inexpensive powder weighing system in reloading coming in around $300 for the complete solution. Personally yes, I do have one and I do use it. Loading primarily .223 Remington and .308 Winchester with a variety of powders the unit has given me consistent and accurate loads with the consistency or better put repeatability being excellent. When I first got it I did powder throws and compared the weights on my old but reliable Lyman M5 scale with excellent results. The ChargeMaster weighs out excellent charges for me using either Stick and Extruded Powders as well as Ball and Spherical Powders.

I guess this will come down to would I buy one again? Absolutely and without hesitation I would buy one again. While my existing unit was a gift I would not hesitate to plop down the price buying one for myself. Other similar units have sprouted up out there and I can't speak for them but I would not hesitate to buy another RCBS unit in a heart beat.

Just My Take....
Ron
Old October 30, 2016, 01:00 PM   #4
cw308

Great unit, using it for12 years, also I double check with the GemPro 250. That's just me, when I reload for rifle , and you want that 41.5 exact load , I double check with the GemPro. You wouldn't be disappointed with the ChargeMaster 1500.
Old October 30, 2016, 02:05 PM   #5
Wendyj

I had looked at it and the Hornady lock n load but all reviews show the Hornady overthrows a lot. Cabelas has the Hornady on sale for 210.00 right now and midway has the rcbs on sale for 299.99. Both have about as many reviews but the Hornady seems to have issues with Varget unless on super slow speeds. I need to load at least 100-150 308 with Varget every other week and imr 4831 for 7 mm. Imr 4350 and h4831 sc for 260. Maybe 200 rounds of rite group and unique weekly. Like to save money but don't want to throw away on one that won't work. I'm tired of using Lee powder thrower and trickling up for every load.
Old October 30, 2016, 05:59 PM   #6
jepp2

Quote:
Does anyone have and use one and is it worth it?
I've been using one for about 8 years. When I bought it, the reviews were mixed and I had similar concerns. But I haven't had a single issue with mine. And if it broke tomorrow, I would order another.
Old October 30, 2016, 06:48 PM   #7
1stmar

I have the hornady lnl. I use mostly 4064 for powder but also 4895 and 2230. It's very consistent. There are multiple ways to fine tune it so it doesn't overcharge. Specifically the trickle speed and trickle start time. With stick powder most of the overcharges come when the trickle occurs and it drops more grains than it should. It's a function of how many grains of powder are at the end of the tube when it trickles. With stick powders it's a little more variable. It's not problematic. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. The rcbs is nice too. You can frequently get the hornady for $169 at Natchez sometimes grafs.
Old October 30, 2016, 07:52 PM   #8
oldscot3

I have one and use it exclusively. Sometimes it will overthrow a bit depending on which powder is being used. I just empty a few grains out, put the pan back on, and then use the trickle feature to bring it back to the desired weight.
Old October 30, 2016, 08:16 PM   #9
surveyor

I use mine for stick powders in rifle more than anything else.

For pistol small charges of a flake powder that meters well, I use a powder throw.

Yes I like it, as well as a electric case trimmer, and a 5 head case prep center are things that got rid of tedious aspects of loading for me.
Old October 31, 2016, 10:49 AM   #10
alexcue

I have a Hornady Auto Charge, I added the same reducing insert you can get for the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. It really reduces the overthrows with the problem powders. Just watch the videos of adjustments you need to make to the speed for certain types of powders.

Anyway, I'd have confidence with either one, but really only use it for smaller batches. .45 Colt of lets say 50 rds of Unique. Also for most Rifle loads of 20 or less, it's just to slow for my heavy reloading batches of 300+.

BTW, don't forget you can get $75 off on the RCBS, also if you can wait the Hornady usually goes on sale for under $180. I picked mine up for under $169, just waited long enough for it.

Little hints? Make sure you let it stabilize by warming it up for a minimum of 15 minutes, and get the reducing insert. It's just more consistent and it won't wander.
Old October 31, 2016, 11:42 AM   #11
Reloadron

TECH TIP: How to Speed Up Your RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 is a very good read on how to modify the original software programming and other tips to modify the ChargeMaster. Mine is still set to the factory defaults but for those interested in modifying for certain loads the link is useful.

Ron
Old October 31, 2016, 02:26 PM   #12
SSGCharlie

Have the RCBS Charge Master 1500 for about 8 years now and have not had any problems with it. I use it on stick powers and to verify power throws on my Dillon 550B.
Would buy another in a heart beat.

SSGCharlie
Old October 31, 2016, 10:25 PM   #13
cw308

I had 1 problem in 12 years. The unit didn't go on, called RCBS they ( customer service ) said it was out of warranty an wouldn't service it . RCBS isn't making it any longer. You can still get them from midway, Nathez & Midsouth. I removed the voice lable to get to the screws, I had nothing to loose at this time, there was a few powder grains of IMR 4064 under the circuit board. Put it back together, glade I did. Its working just fine. Nothing lasts forever, my ChargeMaster is still going strong. Don't know why they stopped making it. Give RCBS a call just to double check.
Old November 1, 2016, 12:07 PM   #14
jmorris

Quote:
I had looked at it and the Hornady lock n load but all reviews show the Hornady overthrows a lot.
What's "a lot"?

The RCBS is only accurate to .1gn, with the right powder, you can get that consistency with a volume measure.

With a regular scale and a proximity sensor or optical switch you can get resolution to +\- a kernel of powder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA0_KDjbBGQ

In use it looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACd3yt0J3Bg
Old November 1, 2016, 02:08 PM   #15
nhyrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
What's "a lot"?

The RCBS is only accurate to .1gn, with the right powder, you can get that consistency with a volume measure.

With a regular scale and a proximity sensor or optical switch you can get resolution to +\- a kernel of powder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA0_KDjbBGQ

In use it looks like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACd3yt0J3Bg
Could you message me a parts list of what was used to make this? I already have a trickler

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old November 1, 2016, 04:14 PM   #16
Wendyj

From reviews and videos either unit could throw a few tenths of a grain. Most reviews are for the Rcbs but Hornady has slower options to program in. I'm going with the Hornady to start with because I can buy straight from Cabellas and I have a 20.00 coupon which will put it at $189.00 without tax but no shipping. Natchez could have beat this by $10.09 but Cabelas will give me 60 days to return to store with full refund if not happy. I'm going to take my chance and have assurance I can do a store return. If not happy I will jump to the Rcbs. I can't lose either way. I'll like it or return and go Rcbs. I really appreciate everyone's input. I trust the people on here much more than an online review.
Old November 2, 2016, 09:52 AM   #17
alexcue

Wendy, I still highly recommend the little adapter for the tube, makes a world of difference. It's on ebay. I just wrote to him with the details, and it fit perfectly. It was really just a few bucks, but I've used it on Varget, and don't have any real issues. One little hint with these things is also make sure you don't have a strong draft around them. Personally I keep it on a different bench than what I'm reloading on to minimize vibrations.
Old November 2, 2016, 11:07 AM   #18
Wendyj

What is the adapter called and do you have a link to it. I would gladly order. Our kids are all grown and gone so I have turned on of their bedrooms into a reloading room. I thought the same thing about a smaller bench away from my reloading bench. It shakes too much when sizing and loading bullets. Good and sturdy I just have a lot of stuff organized on it and a Riser for my press.
Old November 2, 2016, 11:39 AM   #19
alexcue

PM sent
Old November 2, 2016, 06:57 PM   #20
Wendyj

Well I got the lock n load today and loaded up 50 308 with Varget and imr 4064. Loaded about 25 7 mag with RL 22. Tried unique through it and Titegroup and it threw perfect. I had 2 overcharges on fastest speed with imr 4064 by .2 grain but dropped back in and all was well. I probably wouldn't use the Titegroup in it as the Lee powder thrower is just as close. Also Titegroup was a bear to clean out of dispenser. Everything matched up weight wise with my Rcbs 505 and a small Hornady digital I have. Best $180.00 I've spent reloading yet. 59 more days to make sure all is good or go back and get my money back and get the chargemaster. If it continues to work like this I won't look back. Now to get a Rcbs prep station. Thanks for all the comments.
Old November 2, 2016, 07:22 PM   #21
Ozzieman

Quote:
I guess this will come down to would I buy one again? Absolutely and without hesitation I would buy one again.
Totally agree.
I got mine two years ago and I wouldn't be without it.
Its extremely easy to program and checking loads with a high end balance scale very accurate.
You can keep many loads stored on it but its something I wont use. I have a PC on my bench and load books for that.
If I have a problem with it, its the dumb stupid nit wit that keeps forgetting to close the dump valve on the side before I fill it. (ME)
Its the only thing I use when loading rifles. For 25 GR of like 4895 it takes about 15 seconds to dump a load in the pan. I also like the fact that all you have to do is set the small pan on the scale and it starts loading another charge requiring nothing from me.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 3, 2016, 10:10 AM   #22
schmellba99

What jepp said above for me - been using mine for years, would buy again in a heartbeat.

And the "adapter tube" is a McDonald's straw cut down to length. Really, that's all you need - and it works. I did some reprogramming in mine a while back to speed up the throws, but I've not yet had an issue with inconsistent powder charges.
Old November 3, 2016, 11:11 AM   #23
Reloadron

schmellba99:
Quote:
What jepp said above for me - been using mine for years, would buy again in a heartbeat.

And the "adapter tube" is a McDonald's straw cut down to length. Really, that's all you need - and it works. I did some reprogramming in mine a while back to speed up the throws, but I've not yet had an issue with inconsistent powder charges.
Quote:
Use a McDonald’s Straw to Reduce “Over-Throws”
Jaco Brink provided another useful tip to avoid “over-throws” (excess charge weight): “The RCBS employee advised me to take a McDonnell’s straw (because it is thicker than a normal straw), cut off about a half inch piece and put it into the tube where the powder exits. This caused the last part of an extruded powder to clutter less, and reduced the amount of overthrows dramatically.”
The link I provided earlier covers that as well as the RCBS programming codes. While a few of the links within the link no longer work, many of the better hints and hacks for the ChargeMaster work quite well and afford some good dope.

Ron
Old November 3, 2016, 01:55 PM   #24
RC20

Ok, we need to get seriosiu about this powder thing.

FOR REAL RIFILES ONLY! (little tiny rifles a bit different and small pistol weight by hand!)

.1 off is beyond no issue. For a 308, how much is .1 in 44 grains percentage wise? 1/10 of diddly squat (in technical terms)

It takes at least .3 to make a difference and more like .5 (plus or minus)

Its the one thing people can say, yea, I am spot on.

What I have found is that its the shooter not the charge.

What's "a lot"?

Quote:

The only reason I don't have one is too much room taken on what is also my work bench.

I do use electronic and am pretty fast with it. Dump a short charge into the pan, twirl the trickler sleeve as fast or slow as needed and I am onto the next one.

Always check your zero with the pan back and re-zero when it drifts off.