The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 19, 2015, 11:10 AM   #1
samsmix

Suppressor First timer

I understand and can duplicate tje inner workings of a suppressor, both newer and older styles. I have a pistol equipped to handle one, but I have looked at comercially available suppressors and don't really want to spend that much.

disclaimer: I know this advice is worth exactly what I paid for it, and I agree to get local professional legal advice before I proceed. I am strictly assessing feasablity.

With that said, what do I need to do to build a suppressor legally, as far as registration, tax stamp, etc. This is my first foray into NFA ownership.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old August 19, 2015, 11:29 AM   #2
Sharkbite

Its actually very easy.

You would submit a form 1 (application to make a NFA item). Pay your $200 tax and wait for approval. Then and only then can you start the build

Lots of good info on Sliencertalk.com
Old August 19, 2015, 12:51 PM   #3
samsmix

Perfect! Thank you.

This a Per Item fee, right?

Old August 19, 2015, 01:01 PM   #4
Sharkbite

Yep. $200 for every item made. No extra parts allowed (extra baffles are a no no)
Old August 19, 2015, 01:57 PM   #5
dakota.potts

I also recommend getting a Trust. Form 1 Trusts filed online are coming back in around 6 weeks as opposed to several months. Plus, you can add people to your trust (for instance, your wife/husband if you're married) and that allows them access to it so you don't have to keep it in a safe that they can't access. There are other benefits to a trust. They can be had for around $100
Old August 20, 2015, 12:49 AM   #6
samsmix

I'm new to this part of the firearms world. Define a "trust" please.

"Extra baffles are a no no."
This sort of behooves a person to use the more modern machined metal types then I suppose, since brushes and wipes and such couldn't be replaced.

Old August 20, 2015, 08:51 AM   #7
9x19

There's this thread at the top of the page than discusses Trusts.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527153

Approval times vary quite a bit by region. Each region has an assigned paperwork inspector and some of them are busier (or just slower) than others.
Old August 20, 2015, 09:25 AM   #8
Sharkbite

Yes a Trust is a much easier way to go. As of now it also eliminates the need for your Sheriff/Police chief to give approval for the item.

Very few modern cans us wipes or brushes. Most are individual baffles stacked inside the tube. Some use a "monocore" system. Wipes ARE allowed to be replaced but not Baffles

Check out silencer talk.com LOTS of helpful info. Plans and machining advice. Guys that can walk you thru getting a trust set up.

One word of warning and you should listen to THIS... Silencers are ADDICTIVE!!!!! You will NOT stop at one. Lol

Ive got 5 currently. My "dealer" txted me last night, number 6 just arrived and ive got to stop by to sign paperwork transfering it to me. Ive already got plans for #7.
Old August 20, 2015, 01:10 PM   #9
samsmix

Well, they might be too pricey to be addictive...yeah, that's the way it worked with guns...but this might just be a one-off in my collection. You see I bought a Walther P-22, and it came with a replacement barrel bushing that is threaded, thus sparking my interest.

Old August 20, 2015, 01:13 PM   #10
samsmix

I haven't any machine tools. Any suggestions? Thus is why I was considering older methods rather than a baffle stack.

Old August 20, 2015, 01:15 PM   #11
Sharkbite

You can buy a thread adaptor and Form 1 an oil filter suppressor. No Machining and works pretty good onna 22lr
Old August 20, 2015, 01:48 PM   #12
samsmix

I'm familiar with the "oil can", but would prefer a more typical approach.

It seems like the alternating steel and rubber washers in the deLisle carbine would be easy to duplicate, and virtually indestructible in a .22lr.

Old August 20, 2015, 04:39 PM   #13
dakota.potts

You could look to a website like SDtactical arms. Many places sell Maglite flashlight tubes (steel/aluminum/titanium) with threaded ends which a cap will slide over. You can purchase the tube, caps to thread on to a barrel, freezer plugs, and a centering jig to drill the whole out of your own freezer plug. You will likely need a drill press but not much else. If you're just looking for a .22, a lot of people have been happy going this way.
Old August 20, 2015, 10:29 PM   #14
samsmix

That seems like a good way to proceed...

Old August 21, 2015, 12:00 AM   #15
dakota.potts

Just make sure you understand the process for doing so. It's not illegal to have a Maglite tube or even freezer plugs, but having all of those things with the intent to build before you get your tax stamp is far more dicey.
Old August 21, 2015, 12:24 PM   #16
samsmix

Quote:
...but having g all those things with the intent to build...
Good point. The items are all readily and cheaply available, so I'll be sure to hold off pending approval.

Old August 21, 2015, 12:30 PM   #17
samsmix

FWIW, it would be useful to have a linear scale of sound measurement. Its a bit miss leading that a gunshot can be 120-140, but the firing pin of an empty gun can hit 100ish. That's a convoluted system that the layman can't easily grasp.