The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 12, 2014, 08:37 PM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Desert Bighorn Sheep

The Texas Bighorn Society has a website. Among other features are live-feed cameras at selected spots. From time to time, sheep show up in the cameras.

http://www.texasbighornsociety.org/i...bighorn-webcam

You can learn more from browsing around the website.

Once extinct in Texas (mostly from Blue Tongue from domestic sheep), they now number over 1,400 in several locations.
Old March 17, 2014, 09:47 PM   #2
fatwhiteboy

I used to work with Quail Unlimited out here in Socal. Our major project was to restore guzzlers in the desert. A couple of times I took my son, 7 years old at the time, with us so he could see what the desert was really like. I got invited to help the Big Horn Society to help them with a few guzzlers. We had a great time repairing the water systems for the big horns, but never saw one. To be honest, the easiest way to see a desert bighorn in Southern Calif is to play golf at any of the courses along the mountains surrounding Palm Springs. My wife and I played Silver Rock in La Quinta last month and saw about 15 or 20 right on the course...
Old March 18, 2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Many desert areas have more food than water, so building guzzlers augments wildlife populations without stressing the habitat itself.
Old March 18, 2014, 10:19 AM   #4
Wyoredman

Art, Simply amazing!

I am a sheep hunter. The only problem with being a sheep hunter is one must have a bank account with large balances! I don't, so I dream. The desert bighorn is my holy grail! Maybe someday I will get lucky in a lottery, either for one of the few coveted tags in Nevada or Arizona, or the power ball!

Thanks for the link. The pictures will keep this poor boy sheep hunting dreamer happy!
Old March 18, 2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Giggle. In west Texas (not up in the Panhandle), we have the po-boy sheep: Aoudad are feral. They're scattered here and there from Fort Davis on down to the Rio Grande. No limit, no season. Day or night. All that's needed is a hunting license and a deal with a rancher.
Old March 19, 2014, 09:33 AM   #6
Wyoredman

Art, If you recall, I had a thread about my trip to Alpine in January chasing those Aoudad! Great fun! Great country.

We were told that there is a few big horns north of Alpine, but we never saw any!
Old March 19, 2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Come and get another dozen or two!

Heck, you can use my hunt camp:

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...00327&t=h&z=19