The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2014, 09:22 PM   #1
hnusz

.45 acp

if I use a .451 fmj in my .45 can I use a .451 lrn in the same gun or do I need to slug the barrel. if so how do I do that. I am new to reloading thanks for the help
Old March 4, 2014, 09:30 PM   #2
rodfac

Jacketed bullets in .45 ACP with a .451" dia. should work just fine. If you're buying cast lead round nose types, or truncated wadcutters, for that matter, I'd go with .452"....you'll see less leading with the bigger diameter lead alloy. If you do encounter leading, try a thorough cleaning with some sort of copper removing cleaner....Hoppe's works but something stronger is faster. Lead alloy bullets don't always do well when shot in a copper fouled barrel. Also, don't be afraid of the 200 gr TWC's. I've yet to find a 1911 that won't feed them, and they're generally more accurate in my guns than the round nose types.

Slugging a barrel is not difficult. First clean it thoroughly, then apply a light coat of gun oil. Use a smooth brass or steel rod to drive a pure lead round ball or hollow fishing weight down the bore. It's best to do this from the breach end, but for revolvers, that's obviously impossible. Catch the engraved slug on a piece of towelling, then measure with a micrometer. Calipers do not have the accuracy necessary. Be careful not to run the driving rod against the muzzle crown as you finish up. Damage here will destroy the accuracy of your gun. Lead alloy bullets, ideally, should be 0.001" to 0.002" larger than your groove diameter for best accuracy and to reduce or eliminate leading.

Lastly, I've found that swirl lubing commercially cast bullets often stops leading in the barrel. It's done with Lee Liquid Alox in a cottage cheese tub or butter tub. You dump your bullets into the tub, then squirt a very small (a dollop the size of a quarter is plenty) amount on them, then swirl them until evenly coated. All told it's a 30 second operation. Warming the LLA squeeze bottle under a hot tap will make it spread easier.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; March 4, 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old March 4, 2014, 11:05 PM   #3
totalloser

+1

.452" is a go-to for diameter with lead bullets. Larger may cause chambering issues, smaller likely will have leading issues. Most of the time .452" will be perfect.
Old March 5, 2014, 01:26 AM   #4
Nick_C_S

Offhand, I don't recall ever seeing a .451 lead 45 ACP bullet - I think they're all pretty much .452.

Hornady used to make a jacketed 230g FMJ flat point that was .452. That's just the one I recall. There may have been others.
Old March 5, 2014, 01:35 AM   #5
Nick_C_S

As an aside note: One of the best things about 45 ACP (and there are a lot of good things about it) is that it takes well to lead slugs. It behaves very well with lead.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Hunter Customs

I've shot a lot of cast bullets in 45ACP, everything from 155 gr SWC to 250 gr RNFP all were sized .452.

My favorite hunting load in 45ACP is a 250 gr RNFP running in the neighborhood of 885fps.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old March 5, 2014, 10:47 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

How do they shoot?

I have one barrel that prefers .451" lead bullets (yes they make them ) and one barrel that prefers .452" lead bullets.
Both barrels like my .4535" lead bullets.
Both barrels outshoot my ability to differentiate when shooting jacketed bullets from .4505" up to .452".