The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 2, 2011, 12:29 PM   #51
dgludwig

Quote:
What good is a classic Rolls Royce in your garage if you can't/won't drive it. Isn't a yugo better if you need to get to work?
Is there a law against driving a Rolls to work? If I had one, that's the first place I'd go before quitting. The next place would be a McDonald's drive thru for a Big Mac and some fries for the dog. And finally, I'd hook up my duck boat to the arse end of that automobile icon, throw some decoys in the back seat, put the Lab in the front seat and head off for the blind. Oops! Don't want to forget my Browning A5 shotgun.
Point being, there's no good reason that the Browning Hi Power you have has to be relegated to some dark corner of a gun safe. It's a nice pistol but it's not that valuable-unless, of course, it was taken off Billy the Kid's body.
Old February 2, 2011, 12:54 PM   #52
Skans

To each his own, I guess. I have a handful of guns that are really nice, but not necessarily so rare that they can't be shot. I choose not to shoot them, mainly because I like to admire them in the condition they are in. I will work the actions, take them apart from time to time and simply admire them.

Then, I have guns that I shoot the heck out of. I don't have to shoot every gun I own, nor do I want to. Some guns I acquire just because I like the way they look, their design, or for some other personal reason.

The great thing about nice guns is they don't cost nearly as much as nice cars or nice houses. Shotgun Artwork and very rare guns might cost more than nice cars and nice houses, but for the most part, guns are priced where I can buy one every now and then just for kicks and giggles....not for shooting. I like that.
Old February 2, 2011, 01:09 PM   #53
EvanWhite

@gunnotes
Thanks for the pros and cons. Gave me a lot to think about.
Old February 2, 2011, 01:24 PM   #54
EvanWhite

Quote:
Evan join up here:
http://hipowertalk.com/forum/default.asp
Signed up and cross-posting now. Let's see what they say.
Old February 2, 2011, 01:43 PM   #55
scottl

Quote:
YOUR first mistake is calling this a Silver Chrome......it isn't. SC is the matte finish seen most often on the frame of the Practical models.
Looks like this
Old February 2, 2011, 01:59 PM   #56
IDAHO83501

Denmark is getting smelly

Something stinks in Denmark. Unless this person is as uninformed as they come, under no situation should you even consider selling that pistol for a Glock. I have a Glock 20C that I really like, however, I MUCH rather have that Hi-Power. If you are actually un-informed about handguns, educate yourself BEFORE you trade it or sell it.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:04 PM   #57
WVsig

Quote:
In my neck of the woods pre-passive firing pin safety and pre-cast steel guns (the forged ones, pre-1988) sell quickly if in mint condition for right around $1200. I paid $1100 for mine and was darn glad to get it as I had been looking for one for years...

Browning guns have tremendous collector potential and are great investments. I paid only $108.00 for my first "T" series High Power and now it is worth 7 or 8 times what I paid for it. You will never get that kind of return on a glock as they have never been considered precision made weapons. They are working class blasters, much like one would buy a Wal-mart electric hand drill. They are working class guns made for every day use not prestige weapons that get "oohs" and "aahs" at the shooting range. Trust me I have been at this game for many decades, keep the Browning or you will end up hating your self for the rest of your life.
This is simply not the truth. I see stuff like this all the time with Hi Powers, 1911s and other "collectible guns." How long have you owned that Hi power? I am going to guess a good long time. Guns are not good investments. Look at the rate of return and adjust for inflation. You will quickly find that your $108 would have made you more money in a real investment vs that Hi power.

I do not mean to be rude but I cannot stand this kind of advise. Why on earth should someone keep something they do not want? If the OP wants something else he should get it. I think he should get fair value for it but again why keep something he does not want? Should he keep it because a bunch of internet experts tell him he will regret it? Should he keep it because other people like BHPs more than Glocks? If he wants a Glock he should get a Glock.

Looking closer the gun is worth more than $700 I stated originally due to its made in Belgium marking. This ups its blue book value by 50%. I would rate this gun at 95% because it has been shot and has handling marks in the silver chrome. BB of Guns 39th edition puts it value at $550 + 50% = $825. That assumes he has original mags. This gun was made in 1980.

This is not a $1200 gun. Sorry but those who are telling you that are wrong. Yes they are listed on GB for that but you will notice that they never sell at that price.

Looking closer I agree it is a nickeled gun but it does not matter either way. They are valued at about the same. I love people declaring that it is worth $1200 when the OP has never stated if it is original, if it has the mag disconnect is still intact. It will matter to a collector. Does it have its original mags.... so many questions unanswered but the internet experts proclaim it to be a $1200 gun. Without all these things in their proper place this gun will never command top $$$ collector pricing. Sorry that is the truth.

I am glad to see Dogtown has the same attitude here that he does on other boards. :barf: People constantly over estimate what a hi power is worth. These guns are not rare and they are not scarce. This gun has been shot and handled. It is worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. It is rare to see one of these sell for over a grand. I am not saying they don't but those who pay that much are paying too much. They are the same people that will tell you a NIB BHP is a $900+ gun when in reality it is a $700 gun. When I see them move at that price I shake my head.

T series guns are also not know for their better trigger. They are known for their fit and finish and are considered some of the best blued BHPs. This is what makes them more collectible not their triggers.

Last edited by WVsig; February 5, 2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:09 PM   #58
Harry Callahan

Your Hi Power is drop dead gorgeous. If it were mine I wouldn't let it get away. I've always been attracted to the shiny guns and this is all that and more. It is an unusual BHP. These don't come around that often. The condition looks very nice too. I'm in the camp that says KEEP IT!!! As you become more knowledgable about guns you'll kick yourself if you don't....GUARANTEED. Also there are some people that say FN(manufacturers of this gun)are phasing them out. The .40 is no longer made and the 9 may become a casualty soon too, from what I've heard.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old February 2, 2011, 02:15 PM   #59
WVsig

Quote:
Your Hi Power is drop dead gorgeous. If it were mine I wouldn't let it get away. I've always been attracted to the shiny guns and this is all that and more. It is an unusual BHP. These don't come around that often. The condition looks very nice too. I'm in the camp that says KEEP IT!!! As you become more knowledgable about guns you'll kick yourself if you don't....GUARANTEED. Also there are some people that say FN(manufacturers of this gun)are phasing them out. The .40 is no longer made and the 9 may become a casualty soon too, from what I've heard.
How rare are they? Can you quote production numbers? Certainly they made less of them then then say a standard blued BHP but they are not that unusual.

Since the OP states he has big hands without modification this gun will never be a good shooter for him. I am willing to bet if he grips the pistol properly he will be one those who suffer BHP hammer bite.

As for the BHP going away. That is not going to happen. People have been saying that for 10 years and they keep building them. They do limit the number produced but that is a much about increasing demand as anything else. They are considered a hi end gun so they keep the production at a level which maintains that.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:17 PM   #60
WVsig

Quote:
I would suggest you purchase one. I own quite a few "T" series and I can assure you they do indeed have fantastic trigger pulls (once the magazine safety is removed).
I own several and have shot many. I own a pre T series with and internal extractor and a St louis rollmark. You should really know who you are talking to before you make assumptions.

Remove the mag safety on just about any hi power and you have a good trigger. There are examples of T series guns with crappy triggers just like there are NIB Portugal assembled guns with fantastic ones.

T series does not = fantastic trigger.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:31 PM   #61
WVsig

Quote:
"T" series are also known for their fantastic accuracy as well. The only 9mm I ever owned (I have been collecting and shooting 9mm guns for over 42 years) that beat the "T" series guns (and not by much) is the fabulous Sig-Neuhausen P210. I also have a target grade WWI DWM 1917 German Luger that shoots some fantastic groups as well but the Neuhausen will probably never be beaten when it comes to "consistently small groups". But alas that gun is not "high capacity" like the High Power is.
Do you shoot those guns off a ransom rest? The 210 is a vastly superior guns interms of accuracy based on its fit, finish and design.

Quote:
The word "High Power" is not a sales gimmick either. It is a very strong gun. a buddy of mine back many years ago cooked up a 90 grain hollow point load with Hercules Bulls-eye power which I will not even post here or anywhere else that was so hot it swelled up the case heads so much they would not go back into the shell holder. The High Power shot a complete 50 round box of these without so much as a burp. I talked my buddy out of ever doing this again but the point is the High Power truly is a very strong gun. I have seen over the last 40 some years a lot of other brands that cracked their slides or frames ( I will not mention which brands but some would really raise your eyebrows if you knew which ones they were).
I guess that is why they beefed up the cast frames on the MKIIIs to handle the 40 S&W...

BHPs are great guns. They are one of my favorite 9mms. I really love the fact you think you have to give me a history lesson about this gun. I own or have owned almost a dozen of these guns. Everything from a pre-T which is bone stock, MKIIIs, MKII, a nice gun made in 1972 which I used for a base gun for a custom build, own a MKIII custom from Don @ Action works etc....None of that changes my opinion that if you don't like the BHP you should not keep it.

Last edited by WVsig; February 2, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 02:56 PM   #62
WVsig

Quote:
Its just that I have never owned or shot a "T" series gun that was not very accurate and did not have a fantastic trigger pull as well.
I have shot quite a few nice ones myself. Again don't get me wrong I like a nice T series gun but I guess my point is that your experience does not = a universal truth. I have also handled some T series that were gritty and did not have wonderful triggers. I would change it to with a T series you are more likely to get a nicer trigger because of the fit and finish of the guns.

I think that people often claim the BHP is very accurate becuse it fits them. When they "fit" you you tend to shoot them well. I shoot mine better than other guns but that does not make it inherrently more accurate than other guns. It makes them more accurate in my hand. If you have been shooting for 42 years you know that the "fit" of the gun in your hand, which is completely subjective, is a huge part of performance of any gun.

I often ask people when they bring up "accuracy" if they have shot the gun from a mechanical rest. To me that is the only way to determine if the gun is truly accurate.

I always love to talk to another true BHP fan.

Last edited by WVsig; February 2, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 03:32 PM   #63
Renfield

Quote:
YOUR first mistake is calling this a Silver Chrome......it isn't. SC is the matte finish seen most often on the frame of the Practical models.

This appears to be the Nickel finish and is a bit more scarce than the Silver Chrome models.
mine is definitely nickel finish

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends"
Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Orators are most vehement when their cause is weak" Marcus Tullius Cicero

Old February 2, 2011, 03:57 PM   #64
Harry Callahan

Quote:
How rare are they? Can you quote production numbers? Certainly they made less of them then then say a standard blued BHP but they are not that unusual.
WVSig,

I didn't say they were rare, I simply said unusual. If you go on Gunbroker I think you would agree that there are not alot of these beauties there. Sure you could find one, and maybe pretty easily, but they are not the norm. Also, check the Browning site. You will not find the .40 offered anymore. Don't know what that means other than they aren't selling, maybe the 9 will survive. I hope so.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old February 2, 2011, 03:58 PM   #65
Amin Parker

Does your pistol have a gold plated trigger?

About the T series, that is a very special pistol. Of all my handguns, it is my favourite pistol of them all. It has saved my backside a few times and unfortunately has been used in armed confrontations which ended fatally for the bad guys.

It has a great trigger, it points perfectly, looks beautiful and is a part of me like no pistol will ever be.

Brownings were designed and built with pride, both for the manufacturer and for the eventual owner. The firearms world and us enthusiasts will be a poorer and sadder bunch without this pistol, we can all agree on this.

I will say again that you will regret selling this pistol. Please dont let it go because you will spend years looking for another.

I have 3 Belgian High Powers and consider myself very fortunate. Its an honour owning them.

If i remember correctly, in the movie Goodfellas, when they arrest Ray Liotta the cop pushes one against his head as he tries to pull his car from the driveway. It is a similar model you own.

Save up and buy the Glock but hold onto that pistol. By the way, before you decide on the Glock, why not try other pistols as well. Since you only planning on ever owning one gun, why not make sure you not missing out? I suggest you try them when you alone so opinions of other shooters dont sway you in any direction. Buy what works for you, who knows, you might realise what we are trying to tell you and keep the beautiful Miss Universe already living with you!

Consider a CZ pistol before you decide.
Old February 2, 2011, 04:06 PM   #66
Smudge

Evan Regarding Your Hi Power

Your Hi Power is a 1980's gun. It has a brushed nickel finish. The gold trigger indicated that. It would have come from the factory with walnut grips that featured a Browning medalion. The absence of those grips reduces the price.
If it is first year of manufacture (1980-81) it is more collectable and would bring $1000. or more (less the discount for the after market grips). If it is not first year, around $700. to maybe $800, is correct. Go to the hi powers and handguns forum with the serial number to find the year of manufacture.

Last edited by Smudge; February 2, 2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 04:57 PM   #67
WVsig

I love me a good discussion.

Quote:
Browning went to the cast frame because they were re-engineering a gun that was originally designed for the 9mm not the 40 S&W. True, they needed a stronger harder frame but they went with the cast frame not because it was superior (a harder forged 9mm frame would have actually been stronger) but they went with the cast frame because it took way less machining operations which saved them money both in time of manufacture and it saved them wear and tear on the tooling used to make the necessary machining operations because they were less machining operations on a cast frame than a forged one. The "urban legend myth" is that they went with the cast frame because it was superior.
I stated.
Quote:
I guess that is why they beefed up the cast frames on the MKIIIs to handle the 40 S&W...
Which was in response to your claims that the BHP is built like a tank. Is it not true that the MKIII cast frame is stronger than the older forged? FN developed the cast frame because the rails of the forged frame hi powers warped under the higher pressures of the 40 S&W round. Are you arguing that is not the case. IIRC it took only 2500 rounds or so for the rails to show signs of warping.

Where did I state that cast was superior to forged? I don't think I did. What I did state is that the cast BHP frame is beefed up=stronger than the forged one. Again this is fact. The forged frame rails warped the MKIII cast ones do not.

It widely known and excepted that MKIII will hand the higher pressure loads associated with +p and even non spec=P+ rounds because of the cast frame. That by no means the forged one is weak or that if you send a +p bullet down the barrel is it going to come apart in your hand but they were not designed to handle those higher pressure loads as a steady diet. The MKIII was. It is a stronger frame.

Now you are right they choose to cast it vs forged it because it was cheaper to do so. An improved forging would have added to the cost of an already expensive pistol so they went with the cast frames.

It is clear that you have an emotional invested attachment ot this piece of metal we call the BHP. That's cool I like them too. Lots of people do but lets not get bent out of shape because someone else does not put the same blinders on when it comes to the reality that is a BHP.
Old February 2, 2011, 05:26 PM   #68
WVsig

Quote:
Your Hi Power is a 1980's gun. It has a brushed nickel finish. The gold trigger indicated that. It would have come from the factory with walnut grips that featured a Browning medalion. The absence of those grips reduces the price.
If it is first year of manufacture (1980-81) it is more collectable and would bring $1000. or more (less the discount for the after market grips). If it is not first year, around $700. to maybe $800, is correct. Go to the hi powers and handguns forum with the serial number to find the year of manufacture.
I agree it is a 1980 gun because of the Belgian rollmark but I agree with dogtown tom this is a Nickel finished gun. They are still valued the same in my BB of guns.

The BB of guns states that they came with a gold trigger and wood grips but I have seen a lot of examples of these guns from 1980 and later sporting the pachmayrs. Pachmayrs were very popular on BHPs in the 80s IIRC and many shooters swapped out the wood grips for these. So this might mean these are not the original grips.

This pic shows the wood grips I believe you are referring to: This guns sold for $1050 but came with the manual & leather pouch and original mag which add value.

Last edited by WVsig; February 2, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old February 2, 2011, 05:32 PM   #69
WVsig

Quote:

This appears to be the Nickel finish and is a bit more scarce than the Silver Chrome models.

Your second mistake is saying this is at best a $700 gun. Since you don't know the difference between a Nickel HP and a Silver Chrome HP I doubt you were able to research actual values.
Part of the confusion is that the BB of guns list the Hi power Nickel/Silver chrome on the same line. It makes no comment on which one is rarer.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:06 PM   #70
dogtown tom

Quote:
WVsig
Quote:
Quote:

Your second mistake is saying this is at best a $700 gun. Since you don't know the difference between a Nickel HP and a Silver Chrome HP I doubt you were able to research actual values.
Part of the confusion is that the BB of guns list the Hi power Nickel/Silver chrome on the same line. It makes no comment on which one is rarer.
Which is the reason I rarely use the Blue Book for anything but a cursory look......it is rarely accurate with information, much less actual gun values. I prefer to look at actual selling prices on GunBroker or Auction Arms.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old February 2, 2011, 07:14 PM   #71
WVsig

Quote:
Which is the reason I rarely use the Blue Book for anything but a cursory look......it is rarely accurate with information, much less actual gun values. I prefer to look at actual selling prices on GunBroker or Auction Arms.
I tend to agree but its a decent starting point. I still think this is a $800 to $900 tops when you run the comps on GB or AA.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:33 PM   #72
everragenepa

Keep it that gun will out last any Glock ever made. I have a Glock 34 and a BHP and plastic just don't compare to steel in my opinion.
Old February 2, 2011, 07:40 PM   #73
SCDeac82

I would trade my left nut for that HP.

Beeyootiful pistol!

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 2, 2011, 08:39 PM   #74
Venom1956

if you dead set on getting rid of it Ill trade you for whatever Glock model you want! (besides 18)

Get rid of those terrible grips and get some nice wood or slimmer Hogue grips.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 3, 2011, 11:59 AM   #75
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
And one more time Browning did not use a newer cast frame because it was superior to a re-designed newer forged frame that could have had the same heat treatment to it. They used the cast frame because it was cheaper to make.
While this may be true, you write as though you have inside knowledge of why FN did what it did when redesigning the gun. What was the source of your information?

One of Browning websites (Stephen Camp writes there...) suggests that the cast frame is harder and tougher than the forged frame, and allows the slides to be heat-treated to a higher level of toughness as well. If so, the decision may have not been solely one of cost savings as you claim.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 3, 2011 at 12:05 PM.

Tags
appraisal , glock , hi power