The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 18, 2007, 01:45 PM   #1
mordis

Thoughts and ideas on the bp revos and cartridge conversions

HI, this post is ment only as a hypothectical thought invoking thread. I only want to get a lively discussion going. I know there is a similar post, but i want to take this a different direction.

Now that my intro is done, here is a question for you. Lets assume the democraps that controll the congress pass a law sayin civilians can only carry cap and ball guns and the black powder cartridge conversions of those guns.

So, now you want to defend your home, and all you can get are cartridge conversions of the classic colt and remmington pistols. Safety is the first thing you must consider, i have been looking at all the conversion guns and drop in cylnders and i have yet to see any that are safe to carry with all six cylnders loaded. I know the colt navy and rem 1858 nma had notches and what not between the cyinders that made them safe to carry fully loaded(tho that is subject to the quality of safety bumps and notches of the manufacturer). So does anyone know of any cartridge conversion revos that are safe to carry fully loaded, either with drop in or Richards mason or other wise?

Secondly, assuming no such thing is out there that allows the safe carry of 6 rounds in a converted gun, how much appeal would there be if some company were to start making conversions and converted pistols that were safe to carry fully loaded.

If i had to choose, i would want a pair of 1851 navies converted to fire .38spc and a pair of 1861 armies in .44/.45colt. What is funny, when it comes down to it, its safer to carry a cap and ball '51 and nma '58 fully loaded then there converted brothers.(edit, i know that the safety bumps in the '51 can get worn down in time, im sure a good smith could fix that)

So, what do you think, if you had only those choices, and considering safety first, would you carry 2 of the safer cap and balls, with 12 rounds, or 2 conversions with 10? Or would you go and buy the conversion which safely lets you carry it fully loaded.
Old August 18, 2007, 02:59 PM   #2
DPris
Member Emeritus

Maybe fun for you to speculate on, but pointless. If the Democrats gain control & pursue further firearms restrictions, it will not go in the direction you're proposing.
In the meanwhile, just get any of the conversions you like and if you insist on carrying them for defensive purposes, load five & live with it.
R&D Gunshop originally did have safety notches between chambers in their cylinders, but when their attorneys decided that was a liability, those were dropped.
As far as what would the market be for "some company" to start making conversions that could be carried "fully loaded" goes, not much.
As far as my choice under such a scenario goes, it would be none of the Italian replicas, period! It would be Ruger Old Army all the way. Much stronger, much better metallurgy, much more durable, much more reliable over the long run, and simply much more gun, in either percussion or cartridge conversion form.
And, what on earth is a "safety bump"?
Denis