The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2006, 07:10 PM   #1
kirbymagnum

Barns X

What is the advantage when using Barnes X bullets for deer hunting with a 243 Winchester compared to other bullets which contain lead? Will these bullets expand on a deer at 250 yards? How do they compare to other deer hunting bullets for the 243?
Old August 2, 2006, 02:02 AM   #2
Scorch

Like a lot of premium hunting bullets, the Barnes X bullet claims to be just short of miraculous. They will shoot just fine and kill deer. Their claim to fame is that there is no lead core, so no jacket-core separation. If you really need them, they work but are pricey. I will stick to Nosler Partitions.
Old August 6, 2006, 04:07 PM   #3
arizona hunter

Barnes are great

Hi Kirby,
I've been using Barnes for about 10 years now and love them. I started with "X" bullets and about 5 years ago switched to their blue XLC.
I use 180 gr. XLC's in my 30.06, and put 57.0 gr. of H4350 behind it and get 2800 fps. and shoot 3/4" groups all day with that.

Do I need 180's? Most likely I could use 165's, but the 180's shoot so well I just stick with it.

For your .243 use a 100 or 105 gr. bullet and you will be fine.

More recently three of my shooting friends begin using the Triple Shock and all report wonderful accuracy in rifles as diverse as .223, .260 Rem, 7m-08, .308 Win., and the wildcar 338 GR.
All three of these bullets tend to retain nearly 100% of weight-even after striking shoulder bones and usually penetrate fully. I have never recovered any type of X bullet, they always go completely through.
Old August 7, 2006, 01:53 AM   #4
tINY

They are tough, so they tend to penetrate heavy bone well (or so I am told).

The big advantage I see is that, for their weight, the Barnes Pills tend to have a high balistic coefficient. That means a higher velocity can often be achieved. For longer shots on game like goat and antelope, this can be a help.

-tINY