The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 16, 2005, 11:34 AM   #1
alpineman

.22 lr conversion problem

I'm using a .22 lr conversion kit with my AR-15. Lately I've had problems with failures to feed. It's like the bolt won't push the round all the way into the chamber -- it sticks out a couple tenths of an inch. I keep everything super clean. I have put thousands of rounds through it. Are any of you familiar with these? Have you had a similar problem? I thought the recoil spring may just be wearing out, but thought I should check with those of you who are most likely more experienced in these kinds of things. Thanks!
Old July 16, 2005, 12:28 PM   #2
shaggy

Could be the recoil spring - I believe Lakeside Guns sells replacement springs for about $10. (www.lakesideguns.com)
You might also try taking the unit out of the gun and making sure a round will fully seat in the chamber adapter. You might have some lead build-up in the adapter which is preventing the round from going all the way in. Also look at the face of the chamber adapter and make sure there are no burrs, nicks, or imperfections which could slow or impede the movement of the round into the adapter. Finally, what ammo are you using? I'd recomend only using a round nosed copper washed/jacketed round - nothing with a flat or hollow point. Federal Lightnings worked best for me.
Old July 16, 2005, 01:39 PM   #3
fanoblack

.22lr love to build a ring of residue just about where the case and the bullet seperate when fired. You can clearly see it if you have .22 revolver in the cylinders. Like Shaggy said I would check just inside the chamber.

fanoblack

I know eight languages, unfortunately only one is spoken by humans.