The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 6, 2018, 01:08 PM   #1
WIN1886

Steel shot use in 686 Silver Pigeon 1 28 gauge ?

I know that Beretta marks its choke tubes SP ( steel proof ) to clarify its ok to use in the 20 and 12 gauge versions of the 686 o/u shotguns . However, the current 28 gauge version does not have the marking on the choke tubes . The barrels are chrome lined and I would assume made of the same steel as its bigger brothers with 5 choke tube choices . Does anybody know if its safe to use steel shot loads in the 28 gauge version with the more open choke choices like improved cylinder ? Thanks !
Old October 6, 2018, 02:47 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Does anybody know if its safe to use steel shot loads in the 28 gauge version with the more open choke choices like improved cylinder ? Thanks !
Beretta would know. Ask them!

Seriously, call them up and talk to them about it. And don't just take the word of whoever is answering the phones. They don't always know the right answers.

While steel shot is mandated for migratory waterfowl, the 28ga isn't the weapon of choice for dropping ducks and geese. Many places still allow the use of lead shot for upland birds and small game, where the 28 is quite useful, as a light gun.

The thing with choke tubes is that when it comes to steel shot, there is "safe" and then there is "a good idea", and the two aren't always the same.

Safe means the gun (and you) won't be damaged. Always a good thing

A good idea means something else, and it varies. If you are required to use steel for what, and where you are hunting, then you are. Otherwise, I don't think its a good idea. The guns today are made to stand the different stress that steel shot puts on them, and won't "fail" but there can be issues less than a split barrel.

One gunsmith I talked to, (ages ago) was griping about the pain in the butt job he was working on, getting the choke tubes OUT of a double gun.

If I remember right, it was a 12ga (Browning, I think) and the problem was, the owner couldn't get the choke tubes out to change them.

He had, apparently shot a lot of steel through the gun, and never removed the tubes, so while the tubes and barrels were not "damaged" the choke tubes had effectively been "hammer welded" into place. steel doesn't compress through a choke tube like lead does. While this is taken into account, its still a different degree and type of stress that lead shot doesn't create.

A few shots won't matter, a few boxes of steel shouldn't matter. A few dozen boxes of steel, might. Taking the tubes out and reinstalling them every so often might not be a bad idea. using some kind of anti-sieze compound on the threads might not be a bad idea. I can't say for certain, but it makes sense to me.

Beretta would know. Ask them.
Old October 6, 2018, 08:59 PM   #3
WIN1886

Yes, I will contact them for sure . I do upland game hunt near wetlands that require steel shot at times . The 28 gauge would not be used the majority of the time with steel but I'd feel better knowing you can use steel shot when required. In my thoughts , it would seem strange that a currently made shotgun could not use steel loads but I'll definitely check first . Thanks.
Old October 6, 2018, 09:48 PM   #4
HiBC

I have a 12 ga 686. I won't be able to afford another one.

I don't know what Beretta will say,but I have not used steel in mine.Ifon't plan on it.

For myself,I might consider getting a repeater,such as a Bennelli Nova or Mossberg for a steel shot hunting gun.

For limited use,if I had to use my 686 with steel,I'd get the extended choke tubes where the choke itself is past the threads.I think I'd stay looser than modified. But that just me.

I'm figuring my Grandson will have a nice O/U some day.
Old October 8, 2018, 12:47 PM   #5
WIN1886

I was told it is ok to use steel shot in all newer or currently made 686 SP1 models with mobilchoke tubes from their customer service department. As long as you use tubes that are more open than improved modified or full , of course meaning up to and including modified choke . I m only going to use upland steel loads that are no more than 1350 fps and keep steel shot size in #5 to #7 area for the 28 gauge too . Also , I'll only use steel when required near wetlands . I'll probably try the cylinder and improved cylinder combo to see how it works first. Thanks.
Old October 8, 2018, 01:30 PM   #6
FITASC

With Beretta, you may never get a straight answer.

Call Rich Cole at Cole's Guns; he and his staff are THE Beretta folks when it comes to buying and repairing them. He has one branch in Maine and the other in Naples, FL.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 11, 2018, 05:31 AM   #7
Rob228

I know that the one full choke I've got from Beretta says "no steel" but its Optima not Mobilechoke.

I've got to ask, have you actually found 28 gauge steel?
Old October 11, 2018, 06:32 AM   #8
Virginian

With today's modern steel shot cups, I would not worry about anything until you get to the choke tubes. Then I would get extended steel rated tubes with the constriction at least mostly beyond the end of the barrel. It has worked well for me with tungsten alloy shot, which is harder than steel, in side by sides.
Old October 12, 2018, 12:45 PM   #9
WIN1886

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob228 View Post
I know that the one full choke I've got from Beretta says "no steel" but its Optima not Mobilechoke.

I've got to ask, have you actually found 28 gauge steel?
Yes , I have at bigger sport shops.