The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 16, 2002, 07:15 PM   #1
LASur5r

Weak hand drills/stats?

A while back, I used to read about police officers who were shot in their gunhand during shootouts. Does this still happen a lot? If not, are LEO's doing better (change in tactics?)? the BG's are getting worse? Anyone know?

If so, what is the mode of carry that you use and can you draw and fire your weapon from its present holster?
Old June 17, 2002, 08:35 PM   #2
tommygun45

I don't have any stats on hand shots, but I can tell you every time I have done simunition training the role players (bad guys) wear gloves because they always get shot in the hands. Having been shot in the strong hand with a sims round during training I can tell you it's not pleasant. As I attempted to recover my pistol after dropping it the RP then shot my support hand. Durring the debrief I asked him if he was aiming for my hands, he told me no but it seemed to happen a lot in training.
Many trained shooters pull the gun back to a retention position that covers center of mass. Isosceles shooters in particular hold the gun out in front of their center of mass when firing. This may be a cotributing factor to the frequency of this event. Other factors may include weapon fixation, the eye being attracted to movement, and tunnle vison.
Old June 17, 2002, 08:53 PM   #3
KSFreeman

I don't have any stats to cite, but I can cite specific fights where it has happened if that helps?

I carry with one on starboard IWB and port IWB. I can access either with either hand. Who can guarantee you will be fighting with both hands? Same reason to practice your one hand mal and reload drills with one hand.
Old June 17, 2002, 09:58 PM   #4
Double Naught Spy

Tommygun is right about people tending to aim at the gun hand in training and in real life shooting situation. Why? people the shooter often unintentionally fixates on the threat to his life, the gun pointed at him, and as he stares at it and decides to shoot the person with the gun, he will unintentional sight on the fixated threat and hit the gun hand.