The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 12, 2018, 08:14 PM   #76
PatientWolf

I handled one at the LGS this week. I really liked the trigger, the slide was very easy to operate and the ticket was $300. If I wasn’t looking to get a Marlin 1894CST when they are available, it probably would have come home with me.
Old January 12, 2018, 09:03 PM   #77
Carl the Floor Walker

I cannot see any reason why they would replace the Security Nine with the SR9 series. completely different guns.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; January 12, 2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old January 15, 2018, 07:42 PM   #78
Whirlwind06

I picked one of the Security 9s last week. First time at the range today was good. 150 rounds of American steel and 50 rounds of ranger 147 jhp. A few fail to ejects but other than that, shot really well. Trigger is nice, groupings were good. Really like it could see it being my EDC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 15, 2018, 07:45 PM   #79
TunnelRat

Quote:
A few fail to ejects but other than that, shot really well. Trigger is nice, groupings were good. Really like it could see it being my EDC.
I guess to me a number of failures to eject isn't really a good indicator, and not one that would lead me to think EDC. Maybe after I ran a few hundred more and if it didn't have any more issues.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 15, 2018, 07:55 PM   #80
Whirlwind06

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I guess to me a number of failures to eject isn't really a good indicator, and not one that would lead me to think EDC. Maybe after I ran a few hundred more and if it didn't have any more issues.
Yep needs a few more trips to the range.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old January 15, 2018, 09:51 PM   #81
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
A Rolex has small parts too, doesn't make it a bad watch. I know many folks with LCPs. I don't know of any broken parts. I have thousands of rounds through mine without a problem.
I had four LCp's and did have broken parts. I presented a number of pics of split rails, cracked frames etc. Regardless, I really don't care what others buy. I moved on from the LCP's. No Big deal.
I was at the range today and handled the Security9. Personally I really did not like the gun. I did not like how it felt in my hand and really did not like the light weight. It just felt unnaturally light. Then moving on to the LC9E, it right away felt so much more solid. You could tell they skimped on the frame quality a little, but for a trainer it might be a good second gun for my LC9s. The Security9 did seem to be a big brother of the LCP. Some may like that. If so, then this will be a great gun for them.

As far as the conversation on safety vs non safety. Not sure Just Newbies would want one. I prefer a safety. Use to using them all my life. Actually no safety might be better suited for a newbie. It takes time to develop the mind/muscle memory of a safety. I think many that buy this gun will not be frequent shooters to the range. JMO.
Old January 16, 2018, 12:31 AM   #82
gc70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker
Then moving on to the LC9E, it right away felt so much more solid. You could tell they skimped on the frame quality a little, but for a trainer it might be a good second gun for my LC9s.
How did you determine "they skimped on the frame quality a little"?
Old January 16, 2018, 07:27 PM   #83
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
How did you determine "they skimped on the frame quality a little"?
My bad, basically the same gun. I noticed the different sights right away. Almost did not recognize the gun and I have owned them since they first came out. We were really focused on the Security 9. If I am not mistaken, the finish was different.
Regardless, seems like the best deal going for Ruger right now. I know you only get one magazine. But I have about a dozen now with my LC9S and it has night sights. Might just get one of these to save wear and tear of my Carry LC9S.
Old January 19, 2018, 12:02 PM   #84
rolnthdr

Is there a size difference between the 15.1 and the 10.1 pistol’s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro