The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 5, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
awaveritt

Guilty by association?

Anyone know why the Connecticut gun store that legally sold Adam Lanza's mother a firearm got it's license permanently revoked? Gettin' kinda scary out there!

http://www.lohud.com/article/20130404/NEWS02/304040084
Old April 5, 2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Evan Thomas

From the article you linked:
ATF spokeswoman Deb Seifert told The Journal News on Thursday that she could not be more specific on the reasons LaGuercia’s license was revoked.
The ATF isn't saying. We won't know until they or the US Attorney's office makes more information public.

Apparently the license was revoked within a week of the Newtown shootings, and that's now permanent, following a 60-day period when the store owner could have appealed. The fact that he chose not to suggests that there may have been good reasons for the revocation, IMO.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Patriot86

If I remember right there was an incident a week or two before this shooting where someone just stole a rifle right out of the store during business hours without anyone noticing....I think THAT prompted the initial probe, the newton thing was just icing on the cake...

Quote:
following a 60-day period when the store owner could have appealed. The fact that he chose not to suggests that there may have been good reasons for the revocation, IMO.
I wouldn't rush to judgment, for all we know the ATF threatened to arrest the owner, throw him in jail, railroad him with every charge under the sun, SWAT his house while his family was home and shoot his dog if he appealed.
Lets wait and see what is released before trying to speculate exactly why the FFL was yanked.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:38 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Lets wait and see what is released before trying to speculate exactly why the FFL was yanked.
I sincerely doubt the Sandy Hook shooting was the reason for the revocation. If it was, the owner would be howling a blue streak in the news, and all sorts of pro-gun organizations would be backing him.

We're not seeing that, so it's safe to assume there are serious issues that haven't been publicized.
Old April 6, 2013, 04:57 PM   #5
ATW525

The store owner's own lawyer is saying that the process for revoking the FFL started 18 months prior to Sandy Hook and is completely unrelated to the shooting.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...0York%20news|p
Old April 6, 2013, 08:36 PM   #6
Conn. Trooper

They had a few guns go missing. Right out the front door while they were open. Several they didn't know were missing.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:43 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

Two weeks ago our big LGS started keeping the night cables in the gun racks during sales hours. Bit of a pain if you want to handle one of them, got to wait while the guy with the key can get there, but I'll bet no one is walking out with any of 'em.
Old April 8, 2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Patriot86

Quote:
Two weeks ago our big LGS started keeping the night cables in the gun racks during sales hours. Bit of a pain if you want to handle one of them, got to wait while the guy with the key can get there, but I'll bet no one is walking out with any of 'em.
That is pretty much SOP over here. Most of the long guns are on racks behind the handguns which are in glass cases. Those that are just out there are either locked to a rack or in a glass case. You cant just "handle" any firearm without a store employee being involved.

A few of the employee's at my LGS know me as a regular and will sometimes attend to other customers (within line of sight) while I look at a firearm but most of the time it is a pure 1 on 1 100% of the time thing if you want to see a firearm.
Old April 16, 2013, 10:52 PM   #9
tulsamal

It makes me wish for the old Southwest Shooters in Oklahoma City. They are closed down now but for decades you could walk in the door and see guns everywhere. The handguns were in cases and you had to ask to see one. But all the rifles and shotgun were on three walls of the store. Floor racks and another rack above it. You could go in there and spend literally hours and hours picking up and checking out every rifle and shotgun in the store. I miss them! (Good prices too.)

Gregg
Old April 18, 2013, 09:26 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

I frequent a gun store that keeps used long guns accessible without any sort of lock. I have no idea how they can keep track of them, but they do. They have cameras all over, but that doesn't stop someone from getting out the door in the first place.