The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 17, 2017, 11:43 PM   #1
jamesf553

Looking for semi auto recommendation.

Kind of a backwards way of doing things, but I'm actually in a way looking for a gun to match a scope.

A little backstory, I purchased an ATN xsight ii 3-14 smart scope to use for night hunting. Honestly, I don't hunt much at night, I more just wanted an introduction to night vision. Unfortunately, trying to mount it on my m1a was a nightmare, and the 2 just don't seem like a good fit. Also, id rather use a regular scope during the day.

With that said, I don't want it to go to waste, and was thinking of picking up an AR or a different semi auto 5.56 or .330 blkout rifle to put it on. Does anyone have any recommendations for a middle of the road one that is say sub $1,500? I live in NY, so whatever it is, I will have to have the gunshop fix it up as a fixed mag. Just want one that will be very durable.

I had an m&p15 for a while but sold it because it had the modified stock on it and I hated it. I'll try the fixed mag this time.
Old December 18, 2017, 09:52 AM   #2
jamesf553

Well I know there's thousands of variants so it's hard to recommend something probably lol. I was torn between the mini 14 with the pistol grip, and a SA saint. I really like Springfield armory so I will try out the saint.
Old December 18, 2017, 10:30 AM   #3
Theohazard

Well, normally you’d probably get lots of people recommending one of the hundreds of AR-15 variations out there. I know I would be: that’s by far the most sensible choice given your requirements. But since you’re in a state as restrictive as New York and I don’t really know the laws there, that completely throws me off (and probably many other people too).
Old December 18, 2017, 11:35 AM   #4
jamesf553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theohazard View Post
Well, normally you’d probably get lots of people recommending one of the hundreds of AR-15 variations out there. I know I would be: that’s by far the most sensible choice given your requirements. But since you’re in a state as restrictive as New York and I don’t really know the laws there, that completely throws me off (and probably many other people too).
Yeah unfortunately NY is pretty strict, you really have 2 options, you get one from the gun shop that has an ugly stock and no pistol grip, or they pin the magazine for you and everything else stays the same (also only 10 rd mag). I will try the fixed magazine as they make a speed loader for it now which looks so much fun to use haha.
Old December 19, 2017, 07:50 AM   #5
bacardisteve

Is a Browning BAR legal there? I can see all kinds of problems arise not being able to drop the mag if you get a double feed or some other malfunction.
Old December 19, 2017, 11:34 AM   #6
jamesf553

Hmm, I'm not 100% sure. I know a lot of older people who have them but they either registered it before the ban or didn't comply.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a savage msr15 patrol. It got really good reviews, was 650.00 after all is said and done.
Old December 20, 2017, 11:37 PM   #7
PlatinumCore16

I used to live in NY and it's honestly just silly. Stupid laws made by stupid people, but I would agree with the AR15 recommendations. I've also seen some relatively well done drop handled stocks that look like they would be comfortable and easy to shoot. Not a pistol grip, but I personally prefer a traditional grip stock as opposed to a pistol grip. Just got a C308 though, so we'll see if that changes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old December 21, 2017, 04:41 AM   #8
ms6852

You could try a mini-ruger 14 also.
Old December 21, 2017, 08:52 AM   #9
agtman

Quote:
* * * Does anyone have any recommendations for a middle of the road one that is say sub $1,500? I live in NY, so whatever it is, I will have to have the gunshop fix it up as a fixed mag. * * *
Well I was going to attempt to offer helpful gun-related advice, but after reading the above, ... the best advice might be to seriously consider relocating to a *free* state. (Especially after you and other New Yorkers get SALT-ed hard in the keister when the new tax law takes effect in 2018 ).

Regardless, assuming you were to pay $800-$1K for an unmolested, decent-quality AR, how much is your gunsmith going to charge to "abort" it into compliance with N.Y.'s SAFE Act?
Old December 21, 2017, 12:50 PM   #10
ukemp

James,
I'm not familiar with the scope you are referring too. I own 2 Browning BAR's, a Bushmaster AR-15, and a Ruger Mini - 14. The Brownings and Bushmaster are both excellent rifles. The mini 14 is just good for having fun and throwing lead down range. I would never hunt with it. If the BAR can be fit to be legal in NY, that would be a great choice for hunting.
Old December 21, 2017, 01:26 PM   #11
hdwhit

Quote:
jamesf553 wrote:
I really like Springfield armory so I will try out the saint.
There is currently an active thread regarding the Saint.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591967
Perhaps you should read it before making your decision.
Old December 21, 2017, 01:37 PM   #12
jamesf553

Trust me I would if all my family wasn't here haha.

Well gun shops around here do overcharge, but we really don't have much of a choice because you can't get them anywhere else.

Basically what they do is they take a 10 round AR magazine, shove it in the rifle, put a pin through the side and then epoxy the mag release button so you can't remove it and forces you to load it through the top manually.

The one cool thing though is someone actually made a really awesome looking device that allows you to load it through the ejection port. It is debatabley faster then normal reloading lol. Legal for now, but who knows.

For me that is good enough as long as I can have the pistol grip, muzzle attachment, etc. For home defense or hunting 10 rds should be more then enough. (I hope)
Old December 21, 2017, 01:40 PM   #13
jamesf553

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwhit View Post
There is currently an active thread regarding the Saint.
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=591967
Perhaps you should read it before making your decision.
Yeah that is interesting and a shame about SA. I purchased their squad scout about a year ago and was really happy with it. Didn't hear about the political debacle until this thread.