The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 30, 2021, 07:27 PM   #1
FunGramps

Gun Belts...What Do You Wear?

I've worn my Galco 1 1/2" tapered leather belt for everyday use and carry, going on 12 years now. Great belt, and it seemed expensive at the time (around $60.00). The belt has been through hell and back, even accidentally ran it through the wash.
I keep it healthy with leather conditioner, and I couldn't ask for a better made belt. The buckle is heavy, solid brass. I've often thought it would put some significant hurt to a thug if used properly.
So, do you wear a belt made for a holster, and if so, what do you have, and how has it held up?
Old January 30, 2021, 07:38 PM   #2
pete2

A Thick leather Bianchi and a Wilderness instructor .
Old January 30, 2021, 07:39 PM   #3
lee n. field

Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer belt. Paid a bit more to have it 5 stitch instead of 3.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 30, 2021, 08:13 PM   #4
krunchnik

Bigfoot Steel Core 18oz-no sag.
Old January 30, 2021, 11:17 PM   #5
Shadow9mm

Issued a 2 1/4 Boston leather duty belt (my agency felt "gun belt" was not the best terminology based on the fact that many other things that are used more are carried on it and did not project an image they liked)

Personally I have run the crossbreed gun belts for a while for my EDC use, it has worked well for me so far.

Last edited by Shadow9mm; January 31, 2021 at 01:10 PM.
Old January 30, 2021, 11:47 PM   #6
KCRaider21

Crossbreed belt
Old January 31, 2021, 12:44 AM   #7
DaleA

Off topic note about belts. I thought I would be smart and get a belt with no metal in it to make my life easier at airport security. Airport security made me take it off anyway.
Old January 31, 2021, 02:22 AM   #8
zoo

Currently Kore Essentials Western EDC Buffalo leather, one brown one black both rated for up to 6 lbs and a black nylon garrison belt rated for up to 8 lbs. All hidden track.
Old January 31, 2021, 03:25 AM   #9
STORM2

Big Foot Steel Core. Worth the $. Will not warp/sag. I own both weights (thicknesses). Be cautious, the heavier...is thick and extremely tight on some holsters.
Old January 31, 2021, 05:18 AM   #10
rodfac

I've made my own belts for over 20 yrs now, and also for friends and family who do some shooting and need a heavier than usual belt to carry a handgun of "duty" size. Most blue collar work, play and utility pants have 1-1/2" belt loops or perhaps a scoosh bigger. And that's what I make my belts for...1-1/2" with a good buckle. All of my holsters are made to that size as well, & fitted close enough so the holster stays put and won't slide around on the belt it's made for. Rarely, and I mean rarely, have I made a belt that's narrower...one of my grand-daughters is the only one that comes to mind, and that one was 1-1/4".

Width of course but also thickness are important if you're carrying a side arm, and even more if you're encumbered with an off side, magazine slide-on. Off hand I can't remember the oz. weight of the leather I've used, but measuring just now, the one I've got on is just shy of 3/16" thick. It's carried full size 1911's with a double magazine pouch on the off side without sagging...and that's the key, if the belt sags, you've either cinched it up too loose, or more likely, need heavier leather for the job.

YMMv Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; January 31, 2021 at 05:25 AM.
Old January 31, 2021, 08:26 AM   #11
ms6852

I use Kore essential belt. There times better than all the leather gunbelts I used to use. It's the ratchet system that can be tighten 1/4" at a time and will hold my fulls size 1911 or revolver with out the gun bowing out.https://www.koreessentials.com/?mscl...nt=Kore%20Belt
Old January 31, 2021, 09:47 AM   #12
tex45acp

Iā€™ve been wearing a Don Hume Gunbelt for over 20 years!
Old January 31, 2021, 10:56 AM   #13
burrhead

Wilderness Instructor almost every day or a Beltman Bull Hide on the rare occasions I'm forced to dress up.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old January 31, 2021, 12:19 PM   #14
FunGramps

Looks like there has been some very creative and useful changes to the common leather belt over the years. I'm old and hate change, but I did buy a Glock 19 after I always swore I'd never own a "plastic gun".

I'm trying to keep up with the times as best I can. I'm even warming up to the idea of gun reform...reforming it to the point where the fed and states cannot adopt their own laws which infringe on our 2nd amendment rights in any way whatsoever. Now THAT's what I call "reform".

Last edited by FunGramps; January 31, 2021 at 12:26 PM.
Old January 31, 2021, 01:55 PM   #15
DaleA

Quote:
I'm even warming up to the idea of gun reform...reforming it to the point where the fed and states cannot adopt their own laws which infringe on our 2nd amendment rights in any way whatsoever. Now THAT's what I call "reform".
Good one.

That's what I'd call "common sense" gun laws.
Old January 31, 2021, 02:24 PM   #16
Sanch

I don't wear one. My girlfriend don't notice the weight when her purse is strapped over her shoulder facing my strong side.
Old January 31, 2021, 04:46 PM   #17
OneFreeTexan

A. 1 3/4ā€ belt,,3/16ā€ thick,, and it is very flexible, and keeps my pancake holster snugged in very tight,,
Old February 1, 2021, 03:59 AM   #18
RETG

Kore leather CDC belts do not last, they show wear marks within weeks...

However, I will say they send a replacement belt immediately upon notification, but the new one did the same.

That wear is from a Desantis holster for a H&K P30SK; not a heavy handgun by all means.

Now, I have had a few of their tactical belts with better luck. They hold up better, but are stiffer.

And Anson belt has similar products, with more buckle choices.

I purchase them basically due to the track system. However, for decades I carried with standard 1.5" or 1.25" Levi leather belts (casual vs. dress and yea, they wear, but don't all things?
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old February 1, 2021, 04:39 AM   #19
Brit

Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer belt. No idea how long I have been using this belt, do not wear any other belt. It looks like new! My Glock 19 4th Gen shows no sign of wear either. On the offside a Glock mag pouch, plus a modified Glock mag pouch.
Sit it in the kitchen sink, run under the hot water tap, keep easing the flashlight into it, till it fits. A Glock 17 mag, rides in a factory mag pouch, $15.00? In using a Glock factory mag pouch, also real cheap (do not know the cost!) for at least 10 years.
Old February 1, 2021, 08:04 AM   #20
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETG View Post
Kore leather CDC belts do not last, they show wear marks within weeks...

However, I will say they send a replacement belt immediately upon notification, but the new one did the same.

That wear is from a Desantis holster for a H&K P30SK; not a heavy handgun by all means.

Now, I have had a few of their tactical belts with better luck. They hold up better, but are stiffer.

And Anson belt has similar products, with more buckle choices.

I purchase them basically due to the track system. However, for decades I carried with standard 1.5" or 1.25" Levi leather belts (casual vs. dress and yea, they wear, but don't all things?
I have been wearing a Kore essential now for a few years and no sign of that kind of wear at all. Yes, a little lighter gun but still that does not look right. What holster are you wearing?
Old February 1, 2021, 04:25 PM   #21
TailGator

Two Beltman belts, black and brown. They have some miles on them and they still look good.
Old February 1, 2021, 06:04 PM   #22
Kreyzhorse

Wilderness instructor and a horse hide by the Beltman.
Old February 1, 2021, 07:45 PM   #23
jr24

EDC Kobra Belt by RDR.

Bought it on a whim because of a sale, first nylon/kydex belt and it changed my whole mindset. Won't go back to a leather belt for EDC, though I do still have a couple thick leather Crossbreed belts for nicer occasions. Even so, I usually can't wait to get my "real" belt on ASAP.

Velcro gives incremental adjustments and the stiff kydex holds the gun well.
Old February 1, 2021, 08:12 PM   #24
Captains1911

Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch, and Blue Alpha Gear Low Profile EDC, mostly. Iā€™m interested in the Nexbelt Precise Fit belt, and will probably be getting one soon.
Old February 2, 2021, 12:53 AM   #25
Hawg

1/4" thick Bullhide with a steel core. Still going strong with no sag since 2008.