The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 21, 2018, 05:51 PM   #26
amd6547

In my 40yrs of retail experience, I'd say about 70% of the defective returns in my shop are either not defective at all, or the defect is due to customer action.
Old December 21, 2018, 06:45 PM   #27
HiBC

Right. A certain amount of PR is necessary to stay in business,and the wholesale cost of a part to keep a happy customer might be every bit as good of an investment as advertising. It comes with the territory.

In the case of a manufacturer buying parts from a vendor,nothing in the contract says the parts have to work when assembled to the mating parts.

The requirement is that the parts meet the specs on the blueprint. If the drawing says the rod OD is supposed to be " .2495 p[us .000 minus .0005" and it measures .2493,its a good part.

If you use a Jo block to set up a Swede gauge and measure the OD at .2498,its a bad part.

The guy who sells aftermarket parts has no control over what (for example) Ruger does in daily production. Ruger could have a variance acceptable to Ruger. Its all in how the specs are written.

I once processed a non-conformance dilemma no one in house wanted to own. I had three electronics components that cost my company $50.000 each.They met the specs that the supplier guaranteed. Unfortunately,they did not meet the specs my company promised the U.S. Govt.
So,they were $150,000 worth of parts we could not sell,and we could not return them. The problem was NOT our supplier.The problem was our own engineers.
Its not about emotions .Its not about "My gun does not work"

The parts are to print,or they are not. There is a risk in aftermarket parts.

If a customer service rep has three people on hold,and he has listened to you for 10 minutes over a $20 part,he says "I'll give you your money back"

Done. He needs to move on. Next customer.

No lolly-pop.
Old December 23, 2018, 12:28 PM   #28
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
In my 40yrs of retail experience, I'd say about 70% of the defective returns in my shop are either not defective at all, or the defect is due to customer action.
In all my years of working with customers, the philosophy given to me the most by bosses I had the most respect for, and the one I continue to use, is "The customer is always right.....even when they are wrong." This was and is especially true in situations where the amount of monies is small compared to the negative impact of making an argument outta it. Do some customers take advantage of this? Of course they do. My wife managed a restaurant for 30 years and took back and didn't charge for thousands of meals that were mostly eaten. Funny how so many were from the same repeat customers. While others had nothing to say but praise for the same item. Working in construction most of my life, it was normal for customers not to have a clue as to what they were getting or how it was done. Most looked at the bottom line(cost), even after being told you get what you pay for. Even after recommending something better and warning them of their choice, when they were disappointed, it was still my fault. But for every one that took advantage or didn't have a clue, good customer service made the difference between a lifelong repeat customer and a lot of bad mouthing to others. These forums are a prime example. Folks whine about this companies CS and praise another's. It does have an impact. Again, the OP wasn't trashing a particular company, only stating how he was disappointed with their customer service, without telling us who it was. With today's technology, CNC and 3D printers, almost anyone can open up shop making after market gun parts. Those with competitive prices for quality parts along with good CS are the one's that will stick around.
Old January 2, 2019, 10:14 AM   #29
KEYBEAR

If you buy parts and services long enough you will have a problem .
Last summer I bought a Mag-Na-Port Predator a very nice Ruger Super Blackhawk . The Predator Package is not cheap and received mine mid summer . The Revolver had some problems so I called Mag-Na-Port the call did not go well . I ask to speak to the head Gunsmith and was put on hold . The young lady I spoke to came back and said the gunsmith had told her it was a reload problem (high primer) that the Revolver was fine . It made no difference that I was using new ammo not just reloads . This did not make me happy and I sent the Revolver to a trusted gunsmith and paid to have it fixed . Will I buy from Mag-Na-Port again not if I can help it .
Old January 2, 2019, 04:41 PM   #30
HiBC

Keybear: I'm not questioning your experience.Sounds like you had a legitimate beef.

Magnaport does a lot of EDM work. That means grinding electrodes,Making precision setups,and making sure the burn is flushing properly,etc.

My point is the Head Gunsmith has plenty of work on his plate that requires focus.The shop is only making money when he;s turning and burning.

If you get a CS rep,whose job is talking on the phone,fine.IMO,its not entirely reasonable to ask a key shop tradesman to walk away from his cut to talk with you on the phone.

Everything else you said might well be legit.I'll take your word for it.
Old January 2, 2019, 08:07 PM   #31
KEYBEAR

HiBC It made me sick when I shot this Ruger . I shoot lead coated but lead and lots of it . This Revolver had zero end shake and the cylinder gap was so tight the cylinder would lockup on the forcing cone when hot . The recoil plate was not fit at all and would jam . Years ago then I called Mag-Na-Port an older lady always took the call . She was a nice person and very helpful . The young girl I talked to could only say hello
Old January 2, 2019, 08:43 PM   #32
ice monkey

What kills me is when a gun guy who posts on a number of forums, decides to go into business and still posts like he’s just another poster.

I have to admit, that can really turn me off. I’m not your pall anymore, I’m your customer and my cash means you should be polite, or risk losing my sale.